Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Broken timing belt: No nasty noises = ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 10:42 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Broken timing belt: No nasty noises = ???

To recap, my car died while idling about a week ago. No noise, no nothing, it just died and wouldn't restart.

First thing I did was check that the timing belt was viewable through the inspection hole, which it was. Did lots of checking in between. Last thing I did was have someone turn it over while I watched through the hole...and of course the belt and sprocket are not turning.

So, it would appear that the belt broke down below somewhere and was just resting on the sprocket.

Questions:

1. Does no nasty noises = no bent valves or am I just hopelessly optimistic?
2. How do I go about determining if I have bent valves, etc.? Do a belt job & then do a compression test?
3. Anyone have a head laying around they'd like to sell?

Thanks all, please keep your fingers crosssed for me.

Greg
Old 06-21-2005, 10:46 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. you have bent valves
2. you have bent valves and you'll see them once you take off the head
3. sorry but i'm sure someone here does

and don't worry bud, i had the same thing happen to me. except i was at highway speed. when were the belts last done?
Old 06-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well... if you turned it over while the head and cam were still on, yet the cam tower gear did not turn... you now have bent valves in one if not all the cylinders. But who am i to say maybe you are lucky.

-Ian
Old 06-21-2005, 11:11 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

I'd slap a belt on it, run a compression test, and see how well it runs. Cars have been known to run ok after low-rpm belt failures. If you bent the valves, might as well get your own head redone, rather than buying a new one. If you R&R the head, getting it machined does not cost all that much.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:24 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

Dude!! Totally bummed to hear it! I was hoping that wasn't it, but had my suspicions, esp when my DME/KLR did nothing. Lemme know what you find, I'm out the next 3 weekends with family, then AF duty, but let me know if I can help...
Old 06-21-2005, 11:29 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the exact same thing happen to me, pulled up to a stop sign, threw in the clutch, motor was at idle and shut off like you turned the key off. Couldnt get it started again, pulled the front cover, belts intact, couldn't get it started. Finally had someone crank the engine while i watched the belts, and the timing belt didnt move.....it had stripped the teeth off the belt around the crank. I ended up having only one bent valve, which everyone said was very unheard of....seems you usually end up with 3-4 valves shot. They are not cheap either. You WILL have bent valves, you wont know how many until you get the head off and disassemble it.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:30 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Oh mine stripped because the PO did a belt job right before selling the car, and took off and didnt put back on the timing belt idle roller.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:37 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doc, what HAVEN'T you had happen to you?
Old 06-21-2005, 11:44 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If it can happen on a 944......it has.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:16 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That sucks. Welcome to the "Bent Valve Club". Your membership credentials will be arriving at your mailing address shortly.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:47 PM
AL951
Racer

Greg, Don't worry to much. If you the belt broke=bent valves, But it is not as bad as you think. When I neglected to do my timing belt on time, it broke( no surprise). A call to my good friends at Parts Heaven, a week, 6 valves(used) and about 150 dollars later, my car was running again.That was for a head gasket, 6 valves and resurface. I install and seat it the valves my self and perform all the labor to R&R the head.Cheer up and Good luck!..I am sure you will be on the road soon again.

Regards,
AL
Old 06-22-2005, 01:58 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback and encouragement.

First thing I need to do is pull the belt covers and see what's up. I'm considering everything from just fixing the head, new head gasket & belts to the whole "while I'm in there list" of rebuilt head, head gasket, belts, H2O pump, rod bearings, rings, etc. etc.

The car only has 75k miles on it so I'm not feeling like rings and bearings are a huge deal but then again "while I'm in there"...

Thanks again,

Greg
Old 06-22-2005, 02:51 PM
michael2e
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg, the rings, bearings and the like are a LOT more work and in a 75K engine are probably OK anyway so I wouldnt go that far. Taking off the head if necessary is fairly straightforward, with plenty of help on the board. When mine was off during my rebuild I brought it in to a reputable head shop (in Miami) that cleaned it up, pressure checked it for cracks resurfaced it as well as changed out the guides and seals and did a 3 angle grind for about $300. The water pump is more accessible with the exposure but you will still need to pull the BS pulleys and rear timing cover to get at the mounting bolts which is a bit more work. If you decide to do it I have a spanner wrench you can use to hold the pulleys..

Mike
Old 06-23-2005, 06:06 PM
p950nlu
Intermediate

The same thing happend my friend. He started the car at it ran for a few second then it died. He tried to start many times, and when I got to him I saw that the belt was broken.
Now I have replaced the belts and done a comression check and got 140-150psi on all cylinders. The car starts but has a rough idle. Could some valves been bent? I think the compression is ok.
His car is a 944 n/a
Old 06-23-2005, 07:27 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

valves are bent, if you want to be sure, do a leakdown test.

Quick Reply: Broken timing belt: No nasty noises = ???