They call me flamethrower

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 06:17 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default They call me flamethrower

Here's a pic of what it looks like from the rear of my car under high boost. lol.

Anybody know why in the world I would shoot flames this big. After a tune up the car feels stronger than even before and pulls nicely. I can literally scare the **** outta people now on the road. They just dont know what to think. It looks like my car is exploading from the rear.
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2005, 06:34 AM
Sami951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, that's not normal! Definitely cool, but I suspect there's something wrong somewhere... When does it shoot flames, when you shift gears, lift off the throttle, all the time?
Old 06-16-2005, 06:51 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

my air/fuel is in the high 11's so its rich in the midrange and uptop now. It omly happens when I am boosting hard and I shift a little before redline(where it runs kind of rich)

I have a buddy with a AEM wideband and everthing checked out normal just runs better. I have always shot flames....always...just never had someone get it on film like that before up close in personal. So this is the first time I have been able to freeze frame it.

The car runs fine.....so if there is something I need to look out for I guess let me know. I am running richer than I should be....but, I like running on the rich side of things cause its just more safe for me running the boost.

if I was to dial down to the boost to like 14psi it would prolly run like crap and who knows what I would shoot out....thats alot of un burned fuel.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:13 AM
Sami951
Drifting

Would you happen to have any exhaust leaks? The first thing to come to my mind would be the excess fuel getting ignited in the hot manifold / turbo / downpipe if there was a leak somewhere allowing oxygen to get into the mix... then again, a lot of high boost turbo cars seem to throw flames so it's not necessarily an issue. The only thing you would damage is the cat, which I assume you don't have in there anyway
Old 06-16-2005, 07:22 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah no cat...but, good point about the exhaust leak. I guess we will just see. Its nothing new really...my car has been shooting flames for a couple of years now its on my vids the other car is usually far enough back where you dont get to really see it light up. In this case I was goofing off with a friend and his car is very quick....so he was able to keep up enough through second to see my shift to 3rd....hence the flame being right there in the pic.

I just thought it was kind of neat to look at and something you dont get to see everyday. The car feels good as usual.....its just now I have my flames on tape and up close. Some of the vids going up this week will have them. Even if the camera is far back you can really hear it pop and see it.

Ofcourse all this means unburned fuel...I should lean it out and make more power than I am. hehe. I just dont really care that much I guess.

If that insurance check comes and I decide to get stupid I might have a nice turbo setup and who knows then. I have a feeling they wont be like these though. Its just the cars setup and conditions. Its always done it. When a big one hits you can look through the rear view and see nothing but, blue and purple and orange everywhere.

I would think though flames that big hurt the exhaust at some point...causing leaks and breakdown maybe. Its been two years....so far the exhaust has held nicely. I pray it continues to due so.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:39 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

huhu that's insane!!
cool, but I agree with Same that something's up. That is way to much fuel to be caused by the small amount of fuel that is injected but not ignited when lifting off the throttle.
High 11 aren't that rich and going into 12 will probably not reduce the flames by much.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:48 AM
MR951
Racer

Are you running a BOV vented to atmosphere? AFM or MAF?

BTW, hella cool picture
Old 06-16-2005, 07:55 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

at around 3.5k its 11.1-11.2 by 5k its about 11.8.

The car has been like this for a very long time. If something was bad...would it of gone wrong by now? Its not like it just started doing this. air/fuel is fine....no knock....vac readings fine. Boost build up is great...ect.ect.

Its also not like every flame is like that....I get a big one like that every once in awhile. Some nights when the temp's change alot here in dallas the car runs better.....just kind of always been like that.

Maybe I shouldnt of posted it hehe. Its not like my car is missing or anything....dont hear any leaks...and my boost is fine. Idle is great. Partial load and full load very good. Cars fine. I think the big ones might help loosen things like exhaust hanger bolts ect....and if the exhaust was weak or rusted you could cause serious leaks..but, that just hasent happened.

If it was something else dont you think something would of happened by now? Seriously...I have been able to shoot flames since june of 03'.

If someone has some real data to kick up or some real expeirence...to help explain to me why I need to be looking for problems I am all ears. I am always willing to learn.

I have always been taught...cold temps outside, excess fuel from running rich,hard boosting conditions, and sudden lift of throttle=flame.

Ofcourse I could always be expeirence. Anyone who has had major failures from a flame let me know.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:57 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

bov venting to atmosphere and a maf system. Thanks for the complment and not trying to tell me somethings wrong with the car. Seriously its been doing this since I can remember...the car runs very very well.

In fact so well I bet I am the fastest 26/6 car on the board.<shameless plug

**edit** I will be re doing my rennlist membership soon. I cant believe I let that expire.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:02 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

The old qoute "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" comes to mind

Everythings is probably all right, my guess is the Lindsey chips together the 52-55 lbs injectors and MAF. AFAIK Lindsey don't match the duty cycle in the chips for larger injectors and to account for that using a piggyback often lag a tiny bit. Hence the moment with lift off fuelling is extended.

Flame away
Old 06-16-2005, 08:25 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

thanks duke
Old 06-16-2005, 09:25 AM
Sami951
Drifting

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
bov venting to atmosphere and a maf system.
Well, that's where the flames come then. The mixture goes momentarily way rich when the bov dumps the excess boost out... if you want to get rid of the flames you could try a recirculating cbv, if not - keep it as it is
Old 06-16-2005, 09:30 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's just unburnt fuel and with no cat - full throttle, this is what happens quite a bit. You can see the flame from our track car at TWS down the straight if we shift to fifth in the daylight. My car does it too, I don't know how big but enough that you can see the reflection in the mirrors if on a particular pc of road with guard rails.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:39 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

My cars also shoot flames but nothing like the big one on the picture.
Aha John I didn't see that you run a BOV, I always thought you used the Lindsey re-circulating one?
Old 06-16-2005, 10:08 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

iv'e had both. Like both just fine. The lindsey one really isint lindsey its something else....I will have to recall now what the name of it is. I have never owned their lindsey racing one that they sell so I can't comment on that one.

The "spritied run" that the flame took place on was filmed and is up on some server I hear. So if you did a google search or something you could prolly see what the flame looks like live.

Quick Reply: They call me flamethrower