Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Has anyone got dyno proof of the gains going to a full 3" exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 04:48 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My car is NZ new... no cat, but had a front muffler, fact, period.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:49 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't make me go outside and take pictures, and as i stated that rennlister was LOCATED in NZ, so I assume that his car is NZ specs, maybe it is not, maybe it is.........hopefully he would be kind enough to notice this thread and jump in........happy now?
Old 06-12-2005, 05:13 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for more misinformation and ASSumptions Hos...
Old 06-12-2005, 05:16 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ951
Thanks for more misinformation and ASSumptions Hos...
It was more of common sense than ASSumptions, that rennlister would have informed me if his car was a different spec, which he didn't, anyways, i have the car, other have the same set-up..........i know it "exsists" and that is all that matters (to me anyways).
Old 06-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Not for German or NZ specs (maybe even Australian?) The exhaust system on my car was never tampered with, there is NO cat/primary muffler, nor is there a third muffler.
That's not right..

90-91 Euro models have an extra muffler between the cat and rear muffler.
Most Euro cars have cat as standard from 88.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:39 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Duke, that is what i thought..........that is untill i looked at the exhaust system for ANY signs of welding, cutting etc.....

I have nothing from the turbocharger downpipe all the way till the rear muffler, i thought the PO did this (deleted the CAT/Mufflers whatever), but after talking to two rennlisters based in NZ and Australia, they had the same set-up as i do. I shall take pics and post it tomorrow (it is 30mins past mid-night here).

PS: My car is an '86 German spec.........maybe there was that way from the factory?
Old 06-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Duke, that is what i thought..........that is untill i looked at the exhaust system for ANY signs of welding, cutting etc.....
So what do you mean? That the info in my post is what I "thought"?

PS: My car is an '86 German spec.........maybe there was that way from the factory?
Why do you even question my post when I only wrote about MY 90-91 cars and you use your MY 86 as a reference! There you go again posting "answers" to things that weren't even discussed..
Old 06-12-2005, 06:01 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duke
So what do you mean? That the info in my post is what I "thought"?

No Duke, you got it all wronge.........I (as in me) thought that i should have either a CAT or a primary muffler and the previous owner removed it, but the car never had either.

Originally Posted by Duke
Why do you even question my post when I only wrote about MY 90-91 cars and you use your MY 86 as a reference! There you go again posting "answers" to things that weren't even discussed..
Ummm......okay? since you mentioned certain years when did Porsche install a third muffler i thoguht it maybe helpful to just remind everyone the specs of my car, i thought MAYBE the 86 German spec cars were different, just like when you said that the 90-91 cars had a third muffler.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:54 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No Duke, you got it all wronge.........I (as in me) thought that i should have either a CAT or a primary muffler and the previous owner removed it, but the car never had either.
What is the part number of the straight pipe you have? In the PET there are only two options and those are either a muffler or a cat. I think you have your facts wrong but it would be interesting if it turns out to be true.

EDIT: To add more information to this it can be interesting to know that there is a tax penalty when running in a higher emission class so in Germany most Porsches had catalytic converters. The 1985B 944 that I imported from Germany (Stuttgart) did for example have a cat and the Swedish emission test results cleared the same test as new 2005 model cars have to pass.

Last edited by sweanders; 06-12-2005 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:21 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Willard,
I would question the relevance of your info.

"500-600 CFM turbo"
When talking about "CFM" that would be an indication of cold side capacity. Here, this capacity is not the issue; the actual CFM flowing through the engine (which affects exhaust pressure) is.

Also, the pressure drop readings after the hot housing only affect spoolup time. The real question is how do your exhaust changes affect the exhaust pressure between the exhaust valve and the turbine. That's the only data you really want.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:58 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on 1991 models there is a third muffler between the cat and rear muffler

Not for German or NZ specs (maybe even Australian?) The exhaust system on my car was never tampered with, there is NO cat/primary muffler, nor is there a third muffler.
Anders and Duke are right. In 1991 951 had a small muffler just front of the rear muffler.

My friend have a ’91 951 which is a German spec car. This car have a cat, small muffler and the rear muffler. Car was bought from Hamburg, Germany year ago.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:43 AM
RAPID944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock PORSCHE 951 S, '90 stock boost, with free flow 3'' exhaust.
233RWHP 238RWTQ

Old 06-13-2005, 10:42 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
Anders and Duke are right. In 1991 951 had a small muffler just front of the rear muffler.

My friend have a ’91 951 which is a German spec car. This car have a cat, small muffler and the rear muffler. Car was bought from Hamburg, Germany year ago.
I never brought up the issue with years, i was talking about my car.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

But please Hosrom... this is getting tiresome.
Here you oppose the facts explained by Anders. There you talk about "Not for German or NZ specs" and now you say you only have been talking about your own car?

Originally Posted by sweanders
Stock configuration without a cat is with a muffler in it's place, on 1991 models there is a third muffler between the cat and rear muffler
Old 06-13-2005, 03:59 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Duke: With all respect to you and Anders, all i am saying is that my 86 German Spec car came without a cat nor did it come with three mufflers, it came with ONE muffler on the rear. And all i am saying is that i thought the previous owner deleted the cat or primary muffler but after talking to a rennlister in new zealand and in australia, they have the exact same configuration as i had where they didn't touch their exhaust system, there are also NO signs of any welding/cutting/removal of the cat/muffler if it was there in the first place.

When Anders and youself mentioned how the later cars were equipped with three mufflers, that is fine with me, i never knew that. And i was always talking about my car, and not any one else's car.......

I have no idea why this became confusing, i never disagreed with what anyone said, i also asked a question saying MAYBE the early German and NZ/Australian cars had the same exhaust set-ups, and only NZ951 replied to that.

Hope things are cleared up now! and i will take pictures to back me up, when i get my car tomorrow (if i do).

Quick Reply: Has anyone got dyno proof of the gains going to a full 3" exhaust?