Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Has anyone got dyno proof of the gains going to a full 3" exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 04:19 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hosrom, on all of the exhaust parts from Porsche there is a part number. Unless you find a part number on the pipe where there probably was a cat or muffler it is very likely that it is aftermarket which is fine, having a test pipe isn't something all that exceptional.

I really don't understand how you can be so sure of that your car came like this from the factory unless you are the first owner. The reason why I wrote down that the later cars have an extra muffler was to cover the different configurations.

It seems that you love spreading info and that is great, but the info is worthless if it is untrue and it hurts the 951 crowd if there are to many rumors and "internet gurus" floating around.

This whole thread is a good example how an interesting thread about the efficency of going to 3" has been ruined by sidewinding arguments about wether or not your car is stock. Very similar to how interesting turbo threads turn into a flame war as soon as you show up and act like a besserwisser.

You seem to think that it is important that an answer is coming fast and that you get some sort of credit for being the first with an answer. Myself I am very careful to provide info or help about things that I have no experience with, it is much better help to point in a direction where knowledge can be found instead of repeating something until it becomes the truth.

Over and out.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:26 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anders, well said
Old 06-13-2005, 07:19 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Anders, saying what everyone is thinking... well put.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:34 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

I said it before and I'll say it again, take a look at ANY other turbocharged car in the world. Look at any import forum and you'll find plenty of proof. I don't see how this is even a question any more. Pretty much everyone moves up to a ~3" exhaust on anything under a ~3.5L turbocharged engine. It makes more power. The stock 951 exhaust is pretty efficient as far as stock exhausts go. However, the larger diameter alone will still make a worthwhile power gain. No dyno proof of my own, just going by dyno proof of pretty much EVERY other turbo car on any other forum I've been too. The WHOLE world can't be wrong.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:27 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally Posted by Porschefile
I said it before and I'll say it again, take a look at ANY other turbocharged car in the world. Look at any import forum and you'll find plenty of proof. I don't see how this is even a question any more. Pretty much everyone moves up to a ~3" exhaust on anything under a ~3.5L turbocharged engine. It makes more power. The stock 951 exhaust is pretty efficient as far as stock exhausts go. However, the larger diameter alone will still make a worthwhile power gain. No dyno proof of my own, just going by dyno proof of pretty much EVERY other turbo car on any other forum I've been too. The WHOLE world can't be wrong.
Just beacause it is common to do something does not mean that it is right. Most people would assume that an open exhaust with no mufflers will make a lot more power than a muffled exhaust.

Well, I dynoed a car yesterday that with it's very loud sidepipe setup gained one (1!) horsepower compared to the Laguna Seca setup that has a street car sound level. Another relevant side is the intake, not the same as an exhaust but it is also about flow and on a 996 it is very hard to beat the stock setup.

Exhaust and intakes are interesting since the butt dynamometer is disturbed by how cool a car sounds.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Missin2
Racer

Originally Posted by sweanders
Exhaust and intakes are interesting since the butt dynamometer is disturbed by how cool a car sounds.
its soo true..

louder = faster
Old 06-13-2005, 10:09 PM
NZ951
Race Director

More good points Anders. Its good to see someone could post a dyno result which looks like the gain is around 25WHP. I am still going to test the back pressure and try design something unique if possible and then look at cam options!
Old 06-13-2005, 10:10 PM
NZ951
Race Director

And remember people thought the world was flat and that the sun revolved around it at one stage! Whole world cant be wrong?
Old 06-13-2005, 10:23 PM
TurboTime
Instructor

Cool

Go with the recommendation of your Butt dyno - buy it for the sound.
You won't regret it.

TurboTime
Old 06-13-2005, 11:09 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

So, where wold the part number be on the testpipe area so i can take a pic of it?
Old 06-13-2005, 11:18 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
So, where wold the part number be on the testpipe area so i can take a pic of it?
On the outside.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:49 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Can you seriously take your issues off this thread. Start another one about part numbers if you need that information or PM someone.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:27 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sweanders
On the outside.
What i mean was is it closer to the cat area, closer to the turbo downpipe etc. I know that the downpipe part number is down low, near where it meets the test-pipe, if i am not mistaken.

Originally Posted by NZ951
Can you seriously take your issues off this thread. Start another one about part numbers if you need that information or PM someone.
Report a bad post then
Old 06-14-2005, 12:31 AM
NZ951
Race Director

If a report was made for each of your bad posts, John would never get any work done. Unlike some, I dont cry like a baby each time something is annoying. I foolishly expected you to be mature and police yourself.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:35 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

NZ: I never reported any bad posts in this thread, nor in the T04E thread just so you know. Since i have something interesting to prove right or even prove wrong, you don't even want to give me that chance.

If it suites you (and everyone) well, if i find the part number on the test-pipe and it turns out to be original, i shall PM Duke and Anders and not post it here since you are the thread starter and you are no longer interested in my posts (and i am sure others are also sick of me by now).

Sorry about this, now i have to go and prove myself right/wrong.

Quick Reply: Has anyone got dyno proof of the gains going to a full 3" exhaust?