Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Jack rear from transaxle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 08:29 PM
pieball
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jack rear from transaxle?

I know it's not a good idea, but can I safely jack the rear of the car at the transaxle? My other lightweight jack took a ****. If not, is there a place I can safely with one jack? Car is a track project and has lost a couple hundred pounds already mainly from the rear. Therefore it shouldn't be as bad, and I've done it this way on a couple other vehicles. Thanks, Lincoln
Old 05-31-2005, 08:36 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

i put a piece of wood between the jack and the ta for tire changes.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:55 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pieball
I know it's not a good idea
Why isn't it?

It's fine, very quick and easy, I do it all the time.

Sam
Old 05-31-2005, 09:23 PM
pieball
Racer

Originally Posted by Sam Lin
Why isn't it?

It's fine, very quick and easy, I do it all the time.

Sam
Sam I've seen cars where mounts or something else just didn't look good to carry 1/2 a car... better safe than sorry I guess. I just needed a little confirmation from a couple people before I tried. Thanks guys.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:27 PM
sl951
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

it just addes more stress to the rubber attachment.. tranny to the mount. As for long term affects who knows.. The spare wheel well method works.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:30 PM
pieball
Racer

Originally Posted by sl951
it just addes more stress to the rubber attachment.. tranny to the mount. As for long term affects who knows.. The spare wheel well method works.
That was my second choice with a block of wood. Doesn't matter if that dented a little. I was a little leary there too though because I was debating putting my battery back there.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:54 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Have you guys ever seen whats holding up the trans? Two 8mm screws as I recall. Maybe the torque tube will take some of the load, but it doesn't seem right.

I always use only one jack, and 4 jackstands. You are using jackstands, right? Jack 1 side up in the air, place 2 stands, repeat on the other side.

Search the 944 and 951 forums, ther was a thread 2 weeks ago on this with good pics and lots of opinions.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:02 PM
pieball
Racer

Originally Posted by JDeitz951
Have you guys ever seen whats holding up the trans? Two 8mm screws as I recall. Maybe the torque tube will take some of the load, but it doesn't seem right.

I always use only one jack, and 4 jackstands. You are using jackstands, right? Jack 1 side up in the air, place 2 stands, repeat on the other side.

Search the 944 and 951 forums, ther was a thread 2 weeks ago on this with good pics and lots of opinions.
That's kinda what I meant, probably not the greatest idea, but doable(risky)...
I have only jacked sides on this car, not front or rear. That's why I said it in the beginning.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:30 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

It would be nice to know it was OK to jack by the tranny cuz it would be super convenient. I don't recall ever reading a story about someone screwing anything up lifting this way. Maybe it is OK. I'll email some real knowledgeable guys for their opinion and get back here.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:36 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

I also have done it for many years without a problem and always use a piece of wood between the trans and floor jack.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:10 PM
pieball
Racer

Well, if anything breaks I know where to start looking for all of you! At least I have extras of everything including a tranny IF that goes.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:17 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Ask Curly DE.

I think he broke a piece off his transmission case jacking it up.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres the thread from a couple of weeks ago which talked about jacking that JDeitz951 mentioned above.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=Jacking
Old 06-02-2005, 03:27 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

OK. I posted a question about "jacking under the tranny" to the 944/951 mailing lists. Several old hands reported that they do it all the time and one said he sees the racers do it all the time at the track. No one at all reported ever damaging anything this way. Several never tried it but think it is risky.

In my opinion, there is a different risk to lifting one side at a time. I have read one report where the car slipped off the first 2 jack stands when lifting the other side to set the second set of jack stands. Yes, that was only one report, but I am always concerned for my safety at that stage of both lifting and lowering. The angle of the car at that stage is extreme. Lifting from the center front or rear is safer.

But there is no way to lift the front center. My jack handle has no travel and there is no room for a good sized wooden block if I set it under the cross member while the car is on the ground. Hmmm... I could drive the front up on ramps, then lift and set the front, then go lift and set the back. But isn't that more trouble than the side to side way? Hmmm...

In any case, the consensus, based on actual long-term experience, is that lifting by the tranny is OK. As stated above, it may actually be safer than the side-to-side method.

All the nay-sayers (so far) have been based on conjecture not experience.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about the transmission method, but I do know for sure that the spare tire well WILL NOT WORK. I had a mechanic try and jack the car by the spare tire well ONCE (only time in car's life that I know about), while using a wood block...and it collapsed my spare tire well. I can take pictures if anybody doesn't believe me....but my advice is to never lift the car by the spare tire well.

Quick Reply: Jack rear from transaxle?