repair rear jack point

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 12:03 PM
facboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repair rear jack point

hi all,

well it had to happen sooner or later. i've reversed off a kerb and smashed the left rear jack point to all buggery, and destroyed the skirt as well. luckily, everything else (including the actual panel) seems fine.

but the jack point is all squished and bent over. i'm getting the body shop to repair it on monday, but they think it will be easier to straighten out the jack point rather than replace it - they say that the jack point (ie the square tube thing) is welded on to the body and it will be a major pain to get a new one and remount it.

i was under the impression that the jack point (ie the square tube) merely bolted in to a sleeve on the body, and that once you get the bolt off, you can slide the jack point out and slide a new one in. i'm not convinced that straightening the old one out is going to be a 'wise' decision in the long run.

thoughts/experience?

cheers,

chris.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:20 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey Chris,

One of my rear jack points was smashed in when I bought the car. I haven't bothered with it. It just means adding an extra shim when putting the car on 4 stands. May not be worth all the hassle.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:05 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thread. Smae prob. Been avoiding it. If yours is like mine, you're the issue is that the rocker can't be replaced properly with out work on the jack point. I'll be watching this one. Good luck. BTW anyone have the for middle rockers for sale?
Old 05-27-2005, 11:17 PM
facboy
Burning Brakes

yeah, that's right, the jack point is jamming the rocker from being removed for starters, and it's going to interfere with a new one. so nobody knows how/if it can be replaced entirely?
Old 05-31-2005, 05:52 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

ok, now i know. the jack point does just bolt in, undo the bolt and it slides right out. easy peasy.

if it gets damaged badly (beyond a minor ding), it's pretty much a replace item. it's quite cheap too (45AUD), not worth getting it fixed.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:02 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Facboy. Did you get the replacement from Porsche or a dismantler?

DOAES ANYONE HAVE SIDE SKIRTS FOR SALE?
Old 06-01-2005, 10:23 PM
facboy
Burning Brakes

no that was direct from Porsche Australia. Side skirts are *very* expensive by comparison. The rear one is 206AUD, and the front one is 214AUD (go figure, the rear one is like 4 times the size).

my rear one actually popped back into shape, more or less, once they took the jack point off. figured it wasn't worth buying a new one which was only going to get dinged up anyway. my front one is missing, i suspect some twit has tried to jack the car off it at some stage, because the entire guard is pushed in underneath and the front side skirt can't even mount to it. it's going to be a big job to fix it, about 800-900AUD, so i figured leave it.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, for that kind of money I think I could probably live without one. Until my rich uncle dies anyway.

Quick Reply: repair rear jack point