Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 10:46 AM
gstreev
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo waterpump keeps running

I know it is mainly used to keep coolant moving for a while after the engine is
shut off to cool the turbo down. Since mine runs constantly I don't think its
needed when the engine is actually running so I should keep it disconnected when the engine is running and recconect when I shut off for a minute or 2?
My temp gauge always reads all the way high, maybe thats why the pump always runs?
Old 05-16-2005, 10:53 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The waterpump is not running when the car is running, coolant just passes through it. It should come on for ~30 seconds or so, after the car is off.

If the pump keeps running, there is a small temperature sensor near it, try twisting the connector 90 degrees or so. Mine does that, just twist the connector and it works fine.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:19 AM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gstreev
I know it is mainly used to keep coolant moving for a while after the engine is
shut off to cool the turbo down. Since mine runs constantly I don't think its
needed when the engine is actually running so I should keep it disconnected when the engine is running and recconect when I shut off for a minute or 2?
My temp gauge always reads all the way high, maybe thats why the pump always runs?
You either have a short somewhere or the turbo waterpump relay is shot. If the problem is the relay, prepare to part with a ridiculous amount of cash (ask me how I know!)...

EDIT: Post 666 (the number of the beast!)
Old 05-16-2005, 11:38 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

The temperature sensor could also be bad. That item is cheap.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:38 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I had the same symptom when the turbo temp switch failed (the one hosrom mentioned). Replaced the switch and problem solved.

But what is wrong that your dash temp gage is pegged? Is the car running too hot or just a bad gage?
Old 05-16-2005, 11:56 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, i didn't replace the sensor, just twised the connector around 90 Deg. and worked fine ever since
Old 05-16-2005, 01:30 PM
gstreev
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Temp gauge worked fine until the day I cleaned the engine compartment, maybe a wire came off or something got wet, it never ran hot.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:56 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gstreev
Temp gauge worked fine until the day I cleaned the engine compartment, maybe a wire came off or something got wet, it never ran hot.
You haven't been here long enough to know my tale of woe when I cleaned my engine compartment. So many things went haywire. Just search under my name for cleaning engine bay.

Thermo fan switch in radiator, the temp sensor for dash gauge, temp sensor for DME, temp sensor for turbo water pump, thermostat in water pump which led to the discovery that someone stripped one of the cam belt tensioner's bolts, the list goes on and on. It was a real nightmare and it sounds like you are in for the same experience.

I think the problem was the water shorted out some of the sensors which caused some overheating which killed the rest of them. At least I didn't warp the head overheating.

And for a newbie, have fun getting that *&%%##@ snap ring out of the waterpump to change out the thermostat. That is one of those parts on these cars that make you want to meet the original designer so you can shoot him dead as a door nail.

Good luck, you will need it!

Quick Reply: Turbo waterpump keeps running