Autothority MAF, piggyback?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 08:48 AM
ali_turbo86
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autothority MAF, piggyback?

Hi Guys & Gals,

A while back i installed an autothority MAF + chips. After installation the combination produced smoke. After consulting you guys, some friends of mine and doing some research the conclusion was drawn that the autothority chips need an O2 sensor to function correctly (this sensor isnt included by default on european cars).

So I installed the O2 and the smoke disappeared.

However from the beginning on I wasnt entirely satisfied with the setup; i felt that throttle response wasnt always as quick as it should be and also I still noticed some black smoke when pushing the car hard. That combined with the increased fuel consumption has proofed to me that the car still isnt running optimal. To my 'feeling' the car is running correctly from idle-+/- 2800RPM, then too rich until +/- 3700RPM, and OK again above that.

After pondering a while about wether or not buying a new set of chips, or buying a piggyback system, or just adjust the chips myself (i dont know much about cars but i can handle computers pretty OK) I decided to ask you the question:

which solution do you think is best to tackle the incorrect A/F? With a small subnote that as far as I know money still doesnt grow on trees

Things that have come to mind so far is buying the mafterburner from lindsey, waiting some more months for more info on motroniccode.com, etc. None of them have so far seemed to stand out to me, so any help is appreciated.

Best Regards,
Ali
Old 05-15-2005, 09:03 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was using Vitesse chips and SMT6 with APE MAF for a while - worked absolutely perfectly.
You can tune to your present configuration, and be able to tune for any upcoming mod without changing controls using the new sequential chip/board.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:46 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

First: buy a wide band O2 sensor kit. No more guessing if you are running rich, lean or right on the spot.

Second: datalog your current setup and decide if you need a fuel controller.

( Third: buy a fuel controller (PowerPerfect, MafterBurner, SplitSecond, ...) )
Old 05-15-2005, 11:54 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely - you should always buy a wideband first, this is the right way to do it - especially now that they are so cheap.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:11 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wideband + piggyback = peace of mind and good tuning with proper A/F ratio

and no dyno time to tuning
Old 05-15-2005, 12:17 PM
ali_turbo86
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone for their quick and clear replies!

Is there a preferred wideband i should buy? Last time I checked (several months ago) they were still quite expensive (somehwere in the 400$) and I also heard they died soon... but that's all changed now?

And basically, to take the easy road, isnt the Lindsey racing $899 kit (mafterburner + UEGOS wideband) what i'm actually looking for?
Old 05-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Frank@Work
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

I went for a Zeitronix without display ($ 279,--) and use a laptop for datalogging and displaying the AFR etc.

LR MafterBurner kit is an option, but have a good look around first!
Old 05-15-2005, 01:29 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WBO2 sensors don't die early unless you install them in the wrong place, ie the crossover pipe or the turbo inlet pipe, where they get too much pressure and heat, the turbo charger takes enough away to prevent their early departure. They need to be installed past the turbo down pipe in the first exhaust system part - be that CAT or CAT bypass section and installed at at least a 90° angle so as not to catch condensation.

The LR kit is a good kit, we use the UEGO on our track car and we're very pleased with it. I use the Tech Edge WBO2 unit and there are many here using the Zeitronix also, who are very pleased with it.

Quick Reply: Autothority MAF, piggyback?