Which EBC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 03:26 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Which EBC?

I've narrowed my choices to the Blitz and the Apexi b/c of their ability to control boost in each gear. I've done an archives search which is leaning me toward the Blitz unit. What is everybody's take on these two EBC's?
Old 05-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Evan70
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my Blitz. Put in in to replace the MBC I had while trying to tack down a boost problem. Found out that the boost contoller wasn't the issue, but liked the Blitz so much I went ahead and kept it.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:00 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When are you planning to get one Michelle? You can mess around with my AVC-r to get a feel for it at the fest if you are going to be waiting that long.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:38 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

No, I intend to get it this week or next. I want to have my car finished by the Fest. Thanx for the offer tho'. How do you like your AVC-R? I've heard that not all the functions work b/c it is designed for japanese cars and not euro-spec. Do all of your functions work?
Old 05-08-2005, 09:02 PM
hmd
Racer

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
I've narrowed my choices to the Blitz and the Apexi b/c of their ability to control boost in each gear.
MichelleJD,

With the Apexi AVC-R you can set the desired boost level for different rpm, then you can add or substract a constant boost (through duty cycle) for each gear, so you are lowering or raising your boost curve for different gear.

From what I read on the Blitz website you will need a power meter to have boost targets for different speeds.

So yes both of them provide 'traction control' functions through different methods.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Michelle,

I just bought a GReddy Profec Type-S. I was researched both of the controllers you are looking at, they are both good controllers from what I could tell, but for me, I dont think I would use the features enough to warrent the extra money. By far the Apexi is a better deal for the money, becuase you need to buy an extra ~$200 meter for the Blitz to have the same features as the Apexi. So the apexi comes out much cheaper, and does everything.

I've talked to several people and they all said unless your car has over 500hp, you dont need the gear based boost control. So I guess if you have your sights set for 500+HP its a good idea to get the gear based, but for anything else, a Greddy profec boost controller will do just fine.

But - this is just my opinion, and some of the research I have found when making my decision. Hope that helps! If I were to chooose between the two, I would go with the Apexi, becuase it has everything for a lot less.

Matt
Old 05-08-2005, 10:03 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Have just got my apexi in, being able to adjust the boost for first and second has transformed the car.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:56 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's assuming the gear-based boost control is only being used to limit straight-line acceleration tire spin. In curves it might be considerably different. Being able to tune the controller to assist with a given track / setup to limit wheel spin in curves is a huge advantage. Granted you can do the same thing with your right foot, but there's still an advantage to being able to pay attention to other things, like proper entry, line, apex point, etc.

The ApecI to me makes far more sense because of the ease of ability to re-tune it for incremental upgrades. I don't know about you guys, but I have a bit of a problem going out and dropping a $4,000 wad of cash for a Vietesse stage III or IV modification all at once, so I intend to do the upgrades incrementally. As such, it'll be very easy to retask the turbo based on what equipment I have in it with something like an ApecI. Swap out the injectors? Just re-tune. Bigger turbo upgrade finished? Re-tune. Got that 3" downpipe? Simple re-tune. Tial showed up? Great - re-tune. Get the picture? That's one of the biggest advantages as I see it.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:01 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanx for the responses so far Did any of you Apexi guys have trouble using all your functions? I've heard there may be problems adapting to a euro spec car:
Originally Posted by DanD
The injector duty cycle doesn't work for our cars on the APEXI. And it reads 14.2 vs 14.8 or whatever it is. So it's a bit off. Lastly it doesn't read the speedo properly. It's mostly designed for Japanese cars. Some of this might have changed in later models.
Can anyone comment on this?
Old 05-08-2005, 11:01 PM
hmd
Racer

Originally Posted by Matthew951
I've talked to several people and they all said unless your car has over 500hp, you dont need the gear based boost control. So I guess if you have your sights set for 500+HP its a good idea to get the gear based, but for anything else, a Greddy profec boost controller will do just fine.
IMHO this is not true, it depends on the characteristics of your turbo and the boost build up. And what sort of application you are using the car for.

I use my car for the track and it has a Vitesse stage 2, I am having a lot of traction issue coming out of 2nd gear and 3rd corners. When the boost come on with the MBC it comes on hard and strong, a little too strong. Coming from racing a S2 it is a big issue for me so I am investigating the benefit of the Apexi or similar.

If you don't want the speed based or gear based boost control and if you have a good WG then MBC would be the best and cheapest option.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:12 PM
hmd
Racer

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
Thanx for the responses so far Did any of you Apexi guys have trouble using all your functions? I've heard there may be problems adapting to a euro spec car:

Can anyone comment on this?
AFAIK Danno had some inverter/converter electronic to make the injector duty cycle to work. And with the speed, the 951 has a 6 pulses signal and you can only set 4 or 8 with the Apexi.

Perhaps if you want to list out exactly what you want from an EBC. For me as I have a DL1 data logger that can log all these bits, injector duty cycle, speed, rpm, tps ... these functions are not required. I need an EBC to do speed/gear based boost control, boost gauge and 2 switchable boost map at the touch of a button.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:27 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm looking mainly for a way to set and hold boost and to have the option of gear or speed based boost control. However, for the $ these things cost, I want the ability to upgrade the car w/o having to buy another controller. The Blitz and Apexi seem to be the best options for this. I'm just curious about compatability and not being able to use certain functions. If I can't use 25% of the functions of a certain controller, I'll get something cheaper to compensate. In essence, I don't want to pay Apexi prices for the equivalent of a Profec. Maybe I should just chuck the whole thing and go to stand alone!
Old 05-08-2005, 11:36 PM
hmd
Racer

ok the Apexi avc-r would do what you want, the only two functions that would not be working are:

- the display of the injector duty cycle.
- the speed display will be out. But if you are good with number crunching this will not be an issue.

both of these features are in no way affect the way it control boosts.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:50 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

hmd is right. The AVC-r will display the rpm and speed signals incorrectly, but the important thing is that it gets those signals for the "learning' feature, not whether the values will be off by a couple of hundred rpm or a few mph. I doubt most people who run these in their Japanese cars actually use the gauges to read rpm and speed since the dials are fairly small.

As pointed out earlier, the injector duty cycle is the only thing that would be neat to see and is not functional. Nevertheless, you can't really use it to limit boost below a duty cycle, or adjust the duty cycle, so you're not missing much.

The gear based boost and the "start duty" feature can really help prevent lag in gears 1 and 2 since there is less load there. I typically adjust my duty cycle manually to prevent signal going to the WG before 2500rpm.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:51 AM
eniac
Drifting

I love my AVC-R. I had a MBC for two weeks before removing that and installing the EBC mainly for the gear based boost control and self learning function. Made a world of difference. All functions work technically, however without some type of converter you won't be able to use the injector duty cycle function properly. That's not a big issue since the AVC-R has the option to calculate boost based on RPM OR Duty Cycle, one or the other but not both at the same time.

The speed display will be off but that doesn't matter either since it calculates the gear by rpm/speed. Once set it has no problem "knowing" what gear the car is in.

The ONLY thing I would change about it is the boost display units. I do wish it displayed PSI or BAR instead of kg/cm2.

If you have some more specific questions about the AVC-R you can PM me. I've had it in my car for over a year, had a few different turbos, and many many other mods since. The AVC-R was easily adapted to all the changes I've made so far.

Quick Reply: Which EBC?