Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

"944 has VW engine"

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 07:13 PM
AL951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to M758, waterboy and to slim_boy for filling the gaps. All very accurate and good information.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:26 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

yes the 924 design was dropped by vw, mainly because of having a sportscar on the lineup during an oil crisis. Porsche bought it back from VW for less than it cost them to develop and VW agreed to build them in their vw/ audi plant.

also of note, the 924 turbo's engine was hand assembled in the porsche plant & the 5spd dogleg was a getrag/ porsche box
Old 05-06-2005, 09:41 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

i cant remember all the marques that made the rings of audi but i know audi absorbed NSW (?) in the 60's or 70's. NSW were making wankel coupes that did ok for racing.

IIRC ferdinand peich who is running Audi right now is related to the porsche family by marriage. he married one of the ferdinand porsches daughters, i cant remember her name but it started with 'L'.

IIRC piech was also instrumental in the design of the 917 for le mans.

also, notable porsche engineers were spotted helping out in audis pit area with the R8 at le mans the year before last
Old 05-06-2005, 10:47 PM
booster
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Porsche Audi, VW 101.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:18 AM
DanR 1201
Instructor

[QUOTE=hosrom_951]Bear in mind that Ferdinan Porsche designed and built the Volkswagen (translated "People's Car" in German).

For a useless bit of info, the VW headlights were designed by some gangster boss whose first name was Adolf. He didn't like Porsche's design which had them on stems like the Citroen 2CV.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:44 AM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

From Audi's site:
"Audi" – A flash of linguistic inspiration
The story of Latin scholar Fikentscher
23 Jul 2001
History comes alive at the Audi museum mobile: Horst Fikentscher, 73, was recently one of up to 1,000 museum visitors a day. His first port of call was the delivery centre where he picked up his new Audi before visiting the museum to find out more about the history, the brands and models that make up Audi’s heritage. Yet the name Fikentscher is itself part of this history. Horst Fikentscher’s grandfather Franz was the company’s co-founder and his father Franz responsible for giving the company its name.

A look back: August Horch was one of the pioneering engineers of automotive engineering and founded his first car company, August Horch & Cie., in Cologne in 1899. In 1904 Horch moved his company to Zwickau and converted it into a joint-stock company. Following a dispute at Horch in 1909, August Horch left his own company. His will to succeed, however, remained as strong as ever. With the help of his friend Franz Fikentscher, a respected businessman from Zwickau, he set up a new car company in Zwickau within just a few weeks. This second company was also given the name Horch. However, legal action was consequently brought against August Horch over the rights to the name Horch, which August Horch ultimately lost.

The newly founded company thus had to find another name. But what could the company be called? "This question prompted endless discussion in my grandparents’ living room," remembers Horst Fikentscher. "Numerous possible and impossible names were suggested. My grandfather’s three sons, all grammar school boys, got wind of the discussion in the next room and came up with their own ideas. My father Heinrich, who was 10 at the time, suggested a simple solution to the serious name problem, much to the amazement of the adults: "horchen" (the German word for "to listen") translates into Latin as "audire" – and the imperative form "horch!" ("listen!" or "hark!") as "audi!" From this day on my father was known only by the name Audi".

The second company founded by August Horch therefore traded from April 1910 under the name Audi Automobilwerke GmbH, Zwickau. The new Audi vehicles soon caused a sensation. The Audi works team won the International Austrian Alpine Run, the toughest performance test for cars at the time, three years in succession from 1912. For AUDI AG, this unusual story of how it got its name is an integral part of its diverse history.

The four rings of the Audi badge symbolise the brands Audi, Horch, DKW and Wanderer, which were later combined under the umbrella of Auto Union. Auto Union and NSU, which merged in 1969, made many significant contributions towards the development of the car. AUDI AG was formed from Audi NSU Auto Union AG in 1985. Together with the two traditional companies Auto Union GmbH and NSU GmbH, Audi Tradition nurtures and presents the deep and diverse history of Audi.

Audi is an international developer and manufacturer of high-quality cars. In 2000 the company sold more than 650,000 Audi models. The sales revenues of the Audi Group totalled DM 39 billion. The Audi Group currently has more than 50,000 employees.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:48 AM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

http://www.924.org/models/modelhistory.htm

Nice 924 page.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:15 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by J1NX3D
i cant remember all the marques that made the rings of audi but i know audi absorbed NSW (?) in the 60's or 70's. NSW were making wankel coupes that did ok for racing.

IIRC ferdinand peich who is running Audi right now is related to the porsche family by marriage. he married one of the ferdinand porsches daughters, i cant remember her name but it started with 'L'.

IIRC piech was also instrumental in the design of the 917 for le mans.

also, notable porsche engineers were spotted helping out in audis pit area with the R8 at le mans the year before last
I think the company was NSU.
Ferdinand Piech is blood Porsche. Mother is Louise Piech sister of Ferry Porsche.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:18 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bengt,
Thanks for the other missing pieces.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:50 PM
tommye
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In its last year of production the 944S2 and 944turbo were build in Porsche's Zuffenhausen plant, not by Audi.
Don't spout out misinformation
The place of manufacture can be seen in the serial number, after the MY code letter, you have N for Neckarsulm (Audi) and S for Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen.
Both my last year production cars (one S2 and one turbo) have MN in their serial numbers: MY -91, assembled at the Audi plant.
I prefer to call it assembled instead of manufactured since f.ex. the engines were built in Zuffenhausen. I remember seeing some S2 engines being dyno tested while visiting the Zuffenhausen plant back in those days.
I've heard/read that some 944:s were built in Zuffenhausen - anybody knows which ones ??

Tommy
Old 05-07-2005, 08:25 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by M758
I think the company was NSU.
Ferdinand Piech is blood Porsche. Mother is Louise Piech sister of Ferry Porsche.
thats it!! I thought NSW didn't look right. I kept looking at it and thinking New South Wales...

I really want to get Porsche: excellance was expected. i'm sure it has everything discussed here and more

Old 05-08-2005, 05:41 AM
slim_boy_fat
Racer

Originally Posted by tommye
Don't spout out misinformation
The place of manufacture can be seen in the serial number, after the MY code letter, you have N for Neckarsulm (Audi) and S for Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen.
Both my last year production cars (one S2 and one turbo) have MN in their serial numbers: MY -91, assembled at the Audi plant.
I prefer to call it assembled instead of manufactured since f.ex. the engines were built in Zuffenhausen. I remember seeing some S2 engines being dyno tested while visiting the Zuffenhausen plant back in those days.
I've heard/read that some 944:s were built in Zuffenhausen - anybody knows which ones ??

Tommy
Yes the last years production ones... Porsche move the enitre production line in 1991 to Zuffenhausen they were making less thatn 30 cars per day and switched to 968 production.

313,000 944 were built at Neckarsulm

Sorry i couldnt get the exact month i 1991 they were built. Surely you must have a clock that tell you that...
Old 05-08-2005, 06:48 AM
turbinek
Instructor

To everybody:
If you can read the official name of Porsche - it is Porsche.
Yes there have been and there are coworking with other manufacturers like Audi (which belongs to VW) and VW. Latest child is Cayenne many Parts of the car are identical with the VW Touareg - the small V6 is infact a VW engine or since when has Porsche less than 180 degrees engines for V6 (Boxer)?
924 has a VW based engine and also the 356. The engine design of 911 is highly comparable to VW beetle. So if you want any Porsche is kind of a VW or what? But there are differences!
If I remember correctly Kübelwagen and first Volkswagen were designed by Dr. Porsche like tanks also.
kind regards

Last edited by turbinek; 05-09-2005 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:25 AM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

The bugatti Veyron is basically built by VW (Bugatti is owned by VW), so does that make it less of a sports car? The lamborghini (now owned by audi) Gallardo, and murcielago are partly built by Audi designers, funded by audi, etc. Does that make it less of a sports car?

NOOOOOOO!!!!!

I could care less if my 951 is part VW or audi, It's a great machine, and no one can tell me otherwise...
Old 05-08-2005, 04:56 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=M758]Well this not entirly correct.

Anyway VW certainly did not exist at the time. Ferdinand Porsche did work for Auto Union and Diamler Benz (Possibly before Mercedes & Benz merged)

If Mercedes and Benz had merged it would have been incest!! Mercedes was Benz's Daughter!!!!

Oh and for the mdel designation monkeys all right hand drive 944 Turbos are 952's not 951's

Quick Reply: "944 has VW engine"