Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 08:04 PM
sean bartsch951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil

hey guys, any ideas where this oil could be coming from? i took out the turbo because it smoked really bad when i was driving it. now i think it could be another problem and not the turbo. the oil is actualy pooled up in some places, could it be related to the black canister where you put oil in (pcv i think)? the turbo was rebuilt (i was told), it is an upgrade. so i wouldnt think anything should be wrong with it yet, unless they did something wrong when they rebuilt it. any help would be apreciated, thanks

Old 04-30-2005, 08:16 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that is quite a big spill you have there........

Balance shaft housing is dry, so that is not the problem. It could be the AOS (you mentioned the PCV, it is the same thing, but known as the air-oil seperator). There are two seals, upper and lower, but i never seen the AOS leak like that before!
Old 04-30-2005, 08:20 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Hard to say exactly what's leaking, but yes the oil filler thing has seals between it and the block and can leak. The hoses and oil pan can also leak. Since you have access to it now, you might as well change the seals on the oil filler and hose now. Then clean everything up so that if it still leaks you will be able to see where it is coming from. The balance shaft cover can leak too, but it looks like your leak(s) is (are) further back. Assuming the smoke was coming from under the hood (and not out the exhaust) then this oil leak probably was the cause. Oil gets on the hot exhaust and smokes off.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:25 PM
Black Arrow
Racer

Could it be a leak in the oil vent line? Those have the tendense to get very bad where the rubber meats the metal.. (the one going from the AOS to the engine mount)
Old 04-30-2005, 09:23 PM
sean bartsch951
Intermediate

thanks for the input, i will change the seals to the AOS. i have them allready, as i thought this could be the problem. but i never changed it because i new how hard it was to get to. i hope that fixes it, im going to try to change the seals to anything i can get to now, then clean everything up, and see what happens.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:42 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the O rings on the Air Oil seperator to me
Old 04-30-2005, 09:54 PM
sean bartsch951
Intermediate

yeah, i just went looking for them to see if i still had them, i got em. so ill change them out. question though...on the back of the balance shaft housing, closest to the AOS. theres a round metal peice, i guess this is a cover. should i be able to move it around? its not coming out, just moving in the housing. i hope i make sence, thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:03 PM
sean bartsch951
Intermediate

this is the piece im talking about
Old 05-01-2005, 12:30 PM
sean bartsch951
Intermediate

bumb, anyone know about the piece on the balance shaft housing?
Old 05-01-2005, 12:56 PM
MarkG
5th Gear

That round piece should be snug as it has an O-ring to help seal the 2 halves of the balance shaft at the rear. They have been known to leak and I've heard of guys using a flex gasket seal when they are replacing the O-ring.
Mark
Old 05-01-2005, 01:21 PM
sean bartsch951
Intermediate

i see, mine is very loose...i bet i had some oil coming fro there also....anyone know how to remove it, so i can replace the o ring?
Old 05-01-2005, 01:36 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

sean: I started a thread on the balance shaft housing leaks/repairs, the difference is mine is the lower balance shaft, not the top one such in you're case.

You need to remove the timing and balance shaft belt, then you would need to remove the rollers, tensioners and the balance shaft sprokets, that way you can access and remove the rear timing belt cover.

once that is out of the way, there are two bolts that hold the balance hsfat housing in place (not including the M6 and M8 bolts you see on the housing itself). After you do that, i would recommend getting new balance shaft bearings (cheap and while you are in there). After replacing the seal, the manual recommends using red loctite 574 on the mating surfaces, and there is a funky torque sequence for the M6 and M8 bolts.

Or, you can save the headache/time to do a "proper" job, and just clean off the oil with some carb cleaner/wd-40 and when dry, apply some loctite (high temp) in the area. Messy job, but sure beats the hell of going through the "right" way.

This can help: Click Me!
Old 05-01-2005, 01:50 PM
sean bartsch951
Intermediate

thanks Hussam, thats a big help
Old 05-01-2005, 02:01 PM
MarkG
5th Gear

Isn't it possible to just remove the balance shaft cover, leave the bearings alone and just replace the rear O-ring(with a little extra hi-temp gasket seal)?

Mark
Old 05-01-2005, 03:57 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkG
Isn't it possible to just remove the balance shaft cover, leave the bearings alone and just replace the rear O-ring(with a little extra hi-temp gasket seal)?

Mark
The cover is secured with two bolts that are hidden in the front of the balance shaft sproket. Click on the link, i thought the same, till Danno pointed it out to me, and the manual, clarks garage and the PET showed the same.

Quick Reply: oil