Old 05-03-2005, 09:40 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent951
Someone mentioned 400+RWH with engine longevity and I currently have my car at a race/dyno shop getting it tuned and they're saying 375RWHP is pretty much the most I can get out of this engine and have it reliable for the track. The shop has won quite a few tribute to lemans races with their 951's so I kind of have to believe them. Anyway so I'm curious if anyone with 400+RWHP and 18+ Boost tracks their car on a regular basis and has found it to be reliable? (Do you also run race fuel only at the track?) I plan on continuing to do POC time trials with my car (30 min sessions or so each run) and really don't want to blow up my new engine after a few months at the track so if 15PSI is really what I should be running when the engine is going to be at 5000+ RPM for 30mins or longer then I'd like to know now.

Thanks, Brent
I have to agree – My street car dynoed at 370 rwhp @ 18-19 lbs but I turn it down to 15 for track use (15lbs = 350rwhp). If I crank it up to 18 I don’t see any real lap time improvements (as I shouldn’t – is only 20hp or 6% more hp) but I do see a lot higher intake temps. Since the engine and intercooler generally continues to heat soak and slowly increase in intake temp during a 30 minute session this is a bad thing (unless there is significant improvement in intercooling).

When you get to the 300rwhp range it take a significant addition in HP to make a difference at the track, correct use of the HP is more important!!

Chris White
Old 05-03-2005, 03:38 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris: Question for ya, as it pertains to my car. I am just curious about the Tec3. Putting aside all other variables (components), what is the average "range" of HP I could expect from just the unit? Of course, I am going under the assumption that I am dealing with someone that is very proficient with the unit and knows how to tune, I have the right size injectors installed, etc. If you need to refresh yourself with the mods I have, visit my home page at www.robertricciardi.com.

Thanks pal, and one of these days I will be back up at the Glen and hook up with ya!

Old 05-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I guess I have to be honest….when it comes to the a/f ratio stand alone systems do not make any ‘extra’ horsepower, you can trick the DME into supporting any amount of HP by playing with the fuel pressure and injector sizing. Of course, your engine may run like garbage at anything other than max HP.
On the A/F mixture front the true value of a good stand alone is the ability to match the needs of the engine across the full range of operating parameters as accurately as possible. With the Tec3 we might be able to improve the mid range and throttle response but I would bet that the Lindsey guys have worked the high HP settings pretty well.
The other area that gets real important when you get to the serious output numbers is the timing. If you are still running a stock timing curve then there is some HP to be found there – as well as the added insurance of getting the timing to be very accurate.

I guess the real answer is that the Tec3 does not ‘add’ HP but it will allow you to get the most from your modifications. You could say that it adds HP by allowing you to tune the engine a tad closer to edge because it is accurate enough that you can use less of a ‘safety margin’. The stock timing has a fairly generous safety margin when it comes to timing – thats why there are many folks cranking up the boost without thinking about changing the timing. Add in some advance and you will get a little more HP. Add in some higher octane fuel and even a little more advance and you will get a little more HP.

Hope that gives you some info!

Chris White

PS – my guess would be 30+/- hp with some added advance!
Old 05-03-2005, 07:56 PM
blitz951
Pro

RolexNJ,
Again, nice car but I have a question. What is the advantage with the solid lifter head in your case? If your going to make a high RPM engine then I can understand going with a solid lifter set up but at that point you would need a stand alone as the factory DME wont take RPM's to the level that your solid lifter head can rev to.
Did you use a 2.7 L head?
Old 05-03-2005, 08:31 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

blitz951: Thanks! I had a thread on here about why going to solid lifters. Actually alot of people talked too, as did Chris ****e. Do a search. In very short, Lindsey and I went thru "3 brand new sets of factory lifters" and and saw a failure rate of over 85%. Do a search. Or go to www.turbo944.com and look for a thread on it, it's extensive.

Chris: Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me. I knew that was going to be the answer, but I had to ask. Given what you said, and my application, the cost to benefit ratio (at this time) isnt feasible to me. I just wish someone could make a bigger hotwire or recalibrate the one I have. Lindsey called Pro-M (now gone) and alot of other places. End result? No one makes it or can do it. If you know of anyone, give me a shout. So for right now, I'll stick with the MAF set-up. But dammit, I want to run 20PSI and smash that 500RWHP!

Old 05-03-2005, 09:20 PM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moonboy, have you ever heard of the term JAKO? if so can you explain that to me..thanks
Old 05-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Rob - When I was looking over your site I noticed the spring rates (suspension not valve!) - are they reversed front to rear?

Chris White
Old 05-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,
I'm guessing that Rob is still running torsion bars, although, given what you recommended for my car, I would think that he still has a lot of understeer to contend with.

Rob,
Excellent numbers! You might want to check your typo a few posts up. I'm pretty sure that Chris "****e" is not the guy you're talking about.

-J
Old 05-04-2005, 12:19 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

since we mentioned timing, i noticed that Rob is running the Lindsey racing chip set (type error on website mentioninhg weltmiester chips). These are "off shelf" chips (2.5L) or was teh timing "changed" for the 3.0L Rob?
Old 05-04-2005, 01:51 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jon Moeller: " I'm assuming that Rob is still running torsion bars, although, given what you recommended for my car, I would think that he still has a lot of understeer to contend with." Yes I have helper springs in the rear. My suspension set-up was done by LR. I have only drove the car for 4 hrs on the streets. I did push it on back roads, and on highways, and it was sweet. I dont know if it is "optimal" on the set-up, but right now, it's not a priority. I need to get the car back and enjoy it! Then, in the future look into the ideal set-up for my application; not a full-time track car.

Chris White: No, as far as I know they are right. 550lbs. springs in front with camber plates and 325 lbs. with helpers in rear. Before I went with this set-up, I talked to 3 shops, and "my application" for the car. I spoke to a local shop, LR, and Paragon. No, I didnt talk to a "top notch/expert suspension place", yet. But all said my set-up/springs rates were good for my application.

Hosrom_951: "Since we mentioned timing, I noticed that Rob is running the Lindsey Racing Chip set (type error on website mentioning Weltmiester chips). These are "off shelf" chips (2.5L) or was the timing "changed" for the 3.0L Rob?" Hos? I believe they are for my 3.0L, almost postive not "off the shelf". I would need to confirm.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Interesting Rob, you are running close to what a lot of club racers run for track set up, most street guys draw the line at 350-400 for the front springs. The 550’s will give you great initial turn in but the thruway/parkway expansion joints might be a tad pesky.

Chris White
Old 05-04-2005, 03:55 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Chris: I knew you might say that. And you know what, I kind of thought that myself too. But, I have always liked a car a bit more stiff than normal. And I can say that after driving it for 4 straight hours, I loved it. When I finished driving, I told Lindsey two things right off of the bat. One, the TQ & HP was insane, and two, that the suspension was incredible - at least for my taste. And I "was" going to consider going to a full spherical bearing set-up too. But after a lot of conversations I decided not to. For I know that would be very harsh on the roads, with my current set-up. And oh, as you may know, the roads in NJ and not smooth as silk too!

Old 07-14-2005, 06:44 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Welcome To The 500RWHP+ Club!

I just hit the dyno this week and have some new numbers to share. I'm going tomorrow to pick up the results. When I get them, I'll scan the sheets and post them here. Overall, I'm pretty happy with these results. I'll keep everyone posted, thanks.

Old 07-14-2005, 06:48 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Overall, I'm pretty happy with these results.
Over 500 WHP ?????????
Old 07-14-2005, 06:50 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by David Floyd
Over 500 WHP ?????????

As I said before, "Stay Tuned"...

Quick Reply: Lindsey Racing 3.0L 8V - Dyno Results