Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Doing the brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 10:17 PM
silverbullet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing the brakes!

I just bought all the stuff to do a complete brake job on the car. All new rotors, pads, and two things of super blue fluid. Is there anything else that I should buy for the procedure? How difficult is this job?
Thanks, Josh
Old 04-24-2005, 10:33 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the little anti-squal shims? and also pad wear sensors if your last ones were triggered?
Old 04-24-2005, 10:41 PM
a4944
Racer

It's pretty easy. I just did the front rotors this weekend. Make sure you have a torque wrench for the rotor to hub bolts so you torque them even. Clean the new rotors before installing. You may want to consider cleaning, inspecting, and repacking the front bearings if this has not been done for awhile since you will have the hubs off.

Mark
Old 04-24-2005, 10:42 PM
silverbullet
Pro

The sensors have not gone off yet. How much fluid will I need for a complete flush?
Old 04-24-2005, 11:46 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

30-40 oz. for a complete flush IIRC.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:09 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Silver: You would also need a torque wrench for the caliper mounting bolts, when i replaced the brake master cylinder, it took just under 1 liter of super blue brake fluid for a full flush (sorry SD, i don't know what 30-40 oz is equivilant to )
Old 04-25-2005, 12:25 AM
ivai
Burning Brakes

I second the notion of repacking/replacing the front bearings... its easy to do while they're off.. I did all four rotors, pads, brake fluid a few months ago.. pretty easy. If you do the bearings, make sure you bring your hubs to a shop (NAPA auto parts here) to have the old bearing races taken out and new ones pressed in.. Trying to do them yourself is basically impossible. Also, do make sure to get the anti-squel pads.. I picked mine up from Pep boys, they're well worth it!

Btw, what kind of pads are you putting on?
Old 04-25-2005, 01:03 AM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Originally Posted by silverbullet
I just bought all the stuff to do a complete brake job on the car. All new rotors, pads, and two things of super blue fluid. Is there anything else that I should buy for the procedure? How difficult is this job?
Thanks, Josh
I did all four corners (pads and rotors) plus a fluid flush in an afternoon. I don't remember how long exactly but probably 3-4 hours. You'll need a lug wrench, #3 phillips screw driver for the rotor screws, a 19mm (pretty sure, might be 17mm) socket wrench for the caliper bolts, and a torque wrench to put it all back together again. Seriously there's 5 lug nuts, 2 screws, and 2 bolts. That's it.

Anyone remember the torque spec for the caliper bolts? Lug nuts are 95 ft/lbs each.
Originally Posted by a4944
have a torque wrench for the rotor to hub bolts
Huh? What are 'rotor to hub' bolts? You talking about the set screws?
Originally Posted by a4944
since you will have the hubs off.
Huh? When are the hubs off when doing the brakes?
Old 04-25-2005, 01:20 AM
ivai
Burning Brakes

For clarification, the front rotors and hubs come off as a unit, after removing the collar from the spindel, then there are (I think) 5 bolts that hold the rotor+hub together.

The rear hubs are behind the rear rotors, so there are only one or two screws on each rotor that actually attaches them to the hub, you take those screws off and the rear rotors slide right off (after removing the caliper of course) and the hub stays on.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:38 AM
silverbullet
Pro

Thanks,
The pads are Metal Masters, its just a street car. I ordered 4 liters of super blue, should be enough!
Old 04-25-2005, 01:40 AM
ivai
Burning Brakes

Yeah, that ought to be plenty. Let us know how those pads feel/sound!
Old 04-25-2005, 01:51 AM
silverbullet
Pro

Yeah, I just changed my order at Paragon to 2 cans of fluid. I think each can is around 33 oz/1 lt. I will definately post an update on the feel of the Metal Masters. Right now my brakes are horrible. Minimum rotor thickness on all sides and no bleeding done in at least three years! Thanks guys!
-Josh
Old 04-25-2005, 04:03 AM
DHC8FO
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be verry careful with the sensors, they are brittle from the heat they are exposed to. Can be reused if you can get them out I get about them out 1/2 the time without breaking them.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:07 AM
pikey7
Drifting

You can definately get a flush done in a single can of superblue. I've just done one.

Get some speedbleeders, and a pressure bleeder. Makes it a 5-minute, 1 man operation.

Make sure you have some copper or aluminium grease for the pads, and get a small wire brush to clean the crud off of the guide plates. A bungee cord will come in handy to hold the caliper when you're changing the pads and the caliper is off.

I would replace the sensors for what they cost. Get originals though. Aftermarket ones aren't so good.

And if you're doing the whole lot, get 4 axle stands and take the all the wheels off at once. To have to go around the car, change the pads/rotors, then go round again (remember the bleed sequence) is a PITA.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:59 PM
devgriff
Advanced

You can also change your brake hose to stainless steel lines

Quick Reply: Doing the brakes!