Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wideband connection to AFM Link ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 01:57 PM
GPF
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wideband connection to AFM Link ?

I started datalogging from my AFM Link (many thanks Ed, Mark & Danno for the files & Links) and found that the AFR signal doesn't correlate very well. I have set the output from my AEM to NB 0-1v emulation and connected it to the link, but the conversion used with the Link output does not equate very well with the display on the AEM, and it doen't actually output the voltage.

Using the search for Link Tuning info the other day, I noticed references that implied that you could connect the 0-5v wideband output to the AFM Link.

Is this right? Has anyone actually done this and not fried the Link box or the handheld programmer?

Thanks in Advance

Graham

'88 Turbo S
Old 04-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just use the native 0-5v output from the AEM without the 0-1v emulation. Then plug that into the AFM-in line on the box. This line is a 0-5v input that's used to be for AFM/MAF inputs when used in signal-massaging mode.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:30 PM
GPF
Instructor

Cool

Originally Posted by Danno
Just use the native 0-5v output from the AEM without the 0-1v emulation. Then plug that into the AFM-in line on the box. This line is a 0-5v input that's used to be for AFM/MAF inputs when used in signal-massaging mode.
Thanks Danno, I'll reset the AEM output then.

Regards

Graham

'88 Turbo S
Old 04-21-2005, 02:48 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

OK...i've got a MAP kit that uses the AFM Link and you guys are speaking swaheele! Do I need the the data logger connection thingy that LINK sells? I've got the programmer, but that's it.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:11 PM
GPF
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike S
OK...i've got a MAP kit that uses the AFM Link and you guys are speaking swaheele! Do I need the the data logger connection thingy that LINK sells? I've got the programmer, but that's it.
I have only just got the serial Link so am no expert yet, but I think that it would be very difficult to properly tune the AFR's across the board and get the AFM Link optimised without one.

I guess you will be able to get it OK without the data but you will only get it as good as possible by luck

You can get the full load AFR's sorted on a dyno, but that's only part of the picture isn't it? .

Lets face it, unless you spend a lot of time on the dyno, you are trying to figure out which zone you are in, what the actual boost is within the zone, what the AFR is and also drive the car!! And you can only look at one data item on the controller at a time....

Regards

Graham

'88 Turbo S

How do you get the signature thing working????
Old 04-21-2005, 08:26 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

That's why I put my wife in the passenger seat! :-) But I think she's getting tired of full boost runs down the street. LOL!
Old 04-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Danno
Race Director

"you are trying to figure out which zone you are in, what the actual boost is within the zone, what the AFR is and also drive the car!! And you can only look at one data item on the controller at a time...."

yes it can be had to try and monitor everything at once. You don't need to know what boost is. The procedure I use is to set teh tuning-module to the ZN AFM xyz 0% screen when I'm sitting in the passenger seat. Print up a blank Zone worksheet and stick a pencil on the zone xyz that's shown on the display. Then as the dyno guy does the run, I trace the pencil through each zone that the car goes through.. like 620-> 725 -> 825 -> 830 -> 935 -> 940 -> 945 -> 950 -> 950 -> 955 -> 960

Then print out the dyno-chart and line up the RPMs on the dyno-chart vs. the zone-worksheet and make adjustments. If you're rich at 3250rpm, adjust -5% in zone 930. If you're lean at 5750rpm, add +5% to zone 955. That's it. You can dial your car in within two dyno runs.

Two biggest areas that trip people up are 1) improper dyno-load and 2) adjusting the wrong zones. What happens is a lot of dyno-operators dont' load the car fully with 3100lbs to simulate real-world conditions. This causes the car to rev up too quickly and the lower load results in less boost than actual on the road. So they'll hit only 13psi on the dyno vs. 16-17psi on the road. This means you'll have to adjust the 800-row cells on the 3D map. However, when you're at 16-17psi on the road, your mixtures will be completly different.

Or people will make adjustmetns in the 900-rows becasue they know they're at 18psi on the road. But they won't see any changes in their mixtures, becasue their car is actually only running 13psi and they should be adjusting the 800-rwos instead. So... use that pencil and a blank worksheet. Allows you to save a lot of time and be much more precise with your tuning.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Yep...I've done that Danno and it does work well. What I'm really looking for though is a way to interface my pc with the AFMLink that I have all while using the wideband (Tech Edge) that I have. Does the USBLink offer this? Is my AFMLink too old to let me do this?
Old 04-21-2005, 09:53 PM
Danno
Race Director

"What I'm really looking for though is a way to interface my pc with the AFMLink that I have all while using the wideband (Tech Edge) that I have."

Well, you can run both software at once. However, the SerialLink's software is DOS based. Chris has worked up a Windows version that can use the USBlink instead. Then you can use either his software or the TechEdge software to datalog the wideband output.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:59 AM
GPF
Instructor

Originally Posted by Danno
****, just re-read this after getting your email (thanks for the template btw) - you really DO mean the AFM-in line don't you!

Last night I just put the AEM back in to 0-5v output mode and left it connected to the O2 sensor-in line. Nothing has got fried though (as far as I know), and the O2 display on the tuning module seems to be showing about the right voltage - don't know what it will output via the serial link though - I'll hook the laptop up later to find out, but then change the wiring as you suggest.

Thanks again.

Regards

Graham

'88 Turbo S
Old 04-22-2005, 07:49 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When trying to simultaneously datalog a tuner and a wideband - you must use serial for the wideband (high speed) and usb for the tuner.
The wideband converter data is too fast for usb even with xp pro.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:22 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Well, you can run both software at once. However, the SerialLink's software is DOS based. Chris has worked up a Windows version that can use the USBlink instead. Then you can use either his software or the TechEdge software to datalog the wideband output.

So if I want to simply use the Tech edge data logging, is there a wire that would give me the MAP voltage off of the AFMLink system? I assume that I could somehow translate that voltage into the MAP Zone that I am in?
Old 04-22-2005, 03:23 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, you open up the link box and solder a wire onto the correct pin of the pressure sensor, then use its output curve to find psi from voltage, then link's chart of psi vs rpm to find what zone you are in. These diagrams should help.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:29 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

How about the hand held programmer for the AFMLink. I would assume that one of those pins going out would be for the MAP zone. Do you have a pin diagram for the pins coming out of the AFMLINK box or the MAP programmer?
Old 04-22-2005, 06:03 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats all digital, you can only log analog signals with the wideband.

Quick Reply: Wideband connection to AFM Link ?