Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Location for second oil pressure sender???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005 | 04:56 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Location for second oil pressure sender???

ANyone added an after-market oil pressure sender in addition to the stock sender? I'm looking for a location to fit an AutoMeter sender, which is every bit as big as the stock sender.

Was planning to keep the stock instruments in place, and run a race panel - Boost, Oil pressure, Water Temp & Oil Temp. Boost and Oil Temp are already in the car, and I'm tapping the turbo water take-off just below the bleed bolt tonight. Need to find a place to fit the oil pressure sender. I wasted hours yesterday trying to find a spot around the oil pump console where it would fit. No luck! Anyone????
Old 04-18-2005 | 05:26 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We looked at this for the track car and the closet thing we could come up with to use BOTH senders (we didn't do it in the end) was to install a stainless braided hose and bring the oil up to a TEE and then use couplings to fit both stock and aftermarket sender on each side of the tee.

If you could get a longer banjo bolt (for 2)and second fitting from Pegasus Racing, you might be able to rig something off of the balance shaft (turbo oil) to get something to a second sender...or install the LR turbo oil filter and tee off of that somehow.
Old 04-18-2005 | 06:34 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ski
We looked at this for the track car and the closet thing we could come up with to use BOTH senders (we didn't do it in the end) was to install a stainless braided hose and bring the oil up to a TEE and then use couplings to fit both stock and aftermarket sender on each side of the tee.
Yep. That's where I got to last night. Could not see any other way to do it from the oil pump console. The turbo oil feed is worth a look, but the harness run will be cleaner wit the line & tee approach. This is way more complicated than it should be
Old 04-18-2005 | 06:44 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pegasus has metric banjo bolts, banjo fittings, washers etc..if you wanted to look harder at the turbo oil feed.
Old 04-18-2005 | 07:37 PM
DAR951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony and Bret, been looking to do this for sometime myself (as usual you're both way ahead of me...). I'm no electronics/electrical genius, but shouldn't there be someway to use the same sender for two gauges?? I know I was able to buy a dual sender for the stock and aftermarket oil pressure gauges in my VW...
Old 04-18-2005 | 07:39 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depends on the resistance of the sender. No doubt Porsche will have used something wierd. They have on the rest of the car! Oh, and if you use a mechanical aftermarket meter.....!!!
Old 04-18-2005 | 07:46 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

I WAS thinking as Mike said so I just guessed the resistance would be different AND getting a second source for signal & gauge for backup if the factory one failed or vice versa.
Old 04-18-2005 | 11:45 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Did some measuring around the oil filter console. The cylindrical extension that the factory sender screws into has enough wall thickness to take a 1/4npt fitting. I'm thinking about installing a 30degree angled bronze fitting 1/4npt male to 1/4 npt female, with the auto meter sender in the female end. Have to be really careful about clearances, but it looks like it will go in without fouling the oil cooler flex line or the oil filter. Want to look at this again, but so far it looks possible.

Not looking forward to drilling in this area. Anyone know if that section is before or after the filter? If its before the filter then there's a lot less risk of a cutting heading for the journals!

BTW, these sensors are current sinks. The gauge is just a milliamp meter with a face marked in degrees/psi/bar etc. Cant drive two identical gauges off one sensor, and as Ski says, theres no chance that the factory and an aftermarket gauge are calibrated for the same current.

Quick Reply: Location for second oil pressure sender???