Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

crap

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 06:23 AM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

A bit OT : Why don`t people use another fire extinguisher than the messy powder ones? Ofcourse when fire is on you don`t go looking for the best fire extinguisher, but take the first one you find.

Seems like most of the ones for sale is powder , I would guess that AB foam or Co2 would be just as good.. The last one is just a gas and would not make a huge mess like powder...
I have seen cars coverd in powder inside after fire in the wiring harness, the fire extinguisher in it self made a bigger mess and cost, than the actual fire!!

Only drawback with the co2 one is the working pressure at 870 psi
Old 04-17-2005, 02:11 PM
herrtzeber
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

speaking of pictures, herse mine after the fire incident.
hopefully it will make you feal better, mind sounds like it was worse then yours just because of how much longer it burned. blodstrupmoen i wish hadnt had that powder one but yea, in that moment i couldn have cared what it was if it would just put the fire out.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:33 AM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's pretty much what mine looked like too.

i called the insurance company last night and filed a claim. the guy that i spoke to said that whether or not it's covered depends on the local agent and they would contact me on Monday. he said it would be ok to take pics and remove the powder to prevent further damage. i took off what i could today. looking under the manifold i can see a few wire casings are fried, the KLR hard line is fried, the wire to the oil pressure sender looks fried, the casing on one of the ground cables looks fried. i started it briefly and it started right up, couldn't find any fuel leaks. the short fuel return hose does look like it's been burnt and it's bulging by the connector but it's not leaking.

i'm not going to take the manifold etc off until i hear from the insurance company whether they are going to cover it.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:33 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shaheed: I am sorry for you're unfortunate experience, i have a 88 NA that could have a few parts here and there that could be swappable with the 951, let me know if you need any parts at all.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:27 AM
DHC8FO
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a salvage engine from a yard that fried the hood, fenders and alot of the plastic, most of the damage to the engine was from the chemical that was used to put it out as it sat and continued to corrode metal. It sounds like you got pretty lucky, the damage could have been much worse.

After seeing the damage the chemical does I carry 1200# a CO2 unit. The only problem is that CO2 is not rated for a fuel fire, but with enough of it I bet it'll put it out.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:52 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't look *that* bad. The 86 turbo that I had also had a fuel fire, alot worse than yours.

Hope all goes well with the insurance agent.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:13 AM
daniel951
Race Car

sorry to hear about that. hopefully everything will work out witht he insurance or even rennlist helping out by having extra parts.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:39 AM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DHC8FO
I bought a salvage engine from a yard that fried the hood, fenders and alot of the plastic, most of the damage to the engine was from the chemical that was used to put it out as it sat and continued to corrode metal. It sounds like you got pretty lucky, the damage could have been much worse.

After seeing the damage the chemical does I carry 1200# a CO2 unit. The only problem is that CO2 is not rated for a fuel fire, but with enough of it I bet it'll put it out.
Co2 is rated for fuel fire aswell ...

only is that it is harder to use outdoor cos the gases could blow away, and it has not the cooling effect of both foam and powder.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:20 AM
ewainwright
Racer

I am sorry to hear about your loss. Please keep us updated on your progress.

This is a bit off topic so please excuse me: however, does anyone know of a website and a good fire extinguisher. An engine fire scares the crap out of me particular when considering our investment. I know Windward has a fire extinguisher that can fit under the passenger’s seat. But I rather have all my teeth pulled without the use of drugs before doing another transaction with them. Thanks in advance. ed
Old 04-18-2005, 12:38 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by shaheed
does the fact that the fire continued to burn after switching off the ignition indicate that it was fueled by something other than gas? i changed the oil last week and gave the engine a good look over while i was doing it, noting appear amiss, no evidence of leaks or anything.
A friend of mine had similar incident about a week ago.Engine was idling ( in a warehouse that he uses as garage ) when he heard a loud pop,he looked at the engine and saw fluid from power steering reservoir sprinkling ( between the reservoir and the cap ) towards the hot exhaust...with instant smoke and flames... He turned the engine off and extinguished the fire with minimal damage,fortunately there was a industrial-size extinguisher at hand.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:46 PM
nitro1
Intermediate

Before you contact your insurrance company check you have kept them uptodate with your modifications otherwise they will be less than helpful!
Good Luck.....
Old 04-18-2005, 03:43 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nitro1
Before you contact your insurrance company check you have kept them uptodate with your modifications otherwise they will be less than helpful!
Good Luck.....
this is very good advice, something i wish i had considered before reporting this to the insurance company. i talked to a rep this morning and 90% of the conversation was her trying to find out what mods i had to the car. they are sending someone by to look at the car, i'm getting the feeling i'm not going to get any help out of them. thanks everyone for your suggestions/comments.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:12 PM
Andy
Instructor

Sorry to hear about that Shaheed, I hope you can get it fixed without too much hassle. And don't give out too much info, the adjuster won't know that some of that stuff isn't factory.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:41 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting. I was just outside on a short break and my office is near a big intersection. I heard a large pop and a flash of light. Walked toward the intersection and what's there? A car on fire! There was nothing for me to do as I was too far away and had no way of offering to help but the owner got ot of the car and was just sreamin' on a phone, "My car's on fire!! My cars on FIRE!!!

I wonder what the popping sound was? Sounded like a loud firecracker. Another Dodge/Plymouth offered to the fire gods I guess. Fire trucks got there just in time to put out the entire engine bay on fire. Can't imagine much would be left.

Time to get an extinguisher I guess. I just put mine back together!

Hope things work out for ya!

Michael
Old 04-18-2005, 11:42 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

adjuster left a message for me saying he wouldn't be able to come look at the car until next week. i may pull the SMT6 off and anything else i can get to before he gets here. if i didn't have the k27 on there i'd probably pull the maf off too.

Quick Reply: crap