Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Electronic Boost Contoller - What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 07:37 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electronic Boost Contoller - What to buy?

Hey everyone,

Just like the topic says - What’s a good Electronic Boost controller? The last time I brought up this topic, it quickly became a war between mechanical and electronic boost gauges. This is most defiantly not my intention. I, personally want an electronic boost controller, and I would like any input you might have on what one to buy, what one not to buy, etc. As of right now, my options are rather limited, but I am looking at the following boost controllers:

HKS EVC 5 - $500
Greddy Profec B Spec - $270
Greddy Profec B Spec II - $290
Greddy Profec Type-S - $300
Plus any others out there...

I have also looking into a couple Blitz models, but I haven’t read up on them enough, to know what they are capable of. If anyone has any input on these models, or other models, please give me some info, I am planning to buy one within the next few weeks, but need to do a little more research before spending the money.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 04-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ApecI. BTW mechanical controllers suck.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Evan70
Pro

I've got the Blitz SBC-iD and I absolutely LOVE IT! Very easy to install and configure, and it works really well. I actually went to this over my MBC while trying to track down a cutout issue (turned out to be the AFM), but I like the SBC-iD so much I decided to keep it. You can set 4 different configurations that are accessible by just a **** turn. This includes the boost level and how fast the boost builds. It has overboost protection, an overboost (scramble) mode where you can run higher boost for x seconds before dropping back to your regular boost mode, and it even graphs the boost curve for you. Plus, you can buy an add on harness to have it monitor other engine/sensor items (I need to do this, but just haven't gotten around to it yet). Also, you can later add another Blitz product that will then let you set boost levels by speed, rpm, etc. Cost was just under $400 on Ebay.

If you can afford it, I'd definitely say get it. I've talked to a few other people on here who have this model, and ALL of us have been very happy with it. If you haven't looked at it yet, here's the website on it:
http://www.blitz-na.com/Blitz_Boost_Sbc_id.htm
Old 04-11-2005, 08:26 PM
daniel951
Race Car

i have the blitz sbc-id also but from what i hear its a very good boost controller. i have been able to drive the car in over a year so can tell u my experiences with it
Old 04-11-2005, 09:28 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Most of the guys love the blitz, but I really like the Profec specII. Low cost and works great.
But what I really like is how small the solenoid and the controller are. I have my solenoid tucked up under the factory cruise control actuator and the controller under the dash. Really packaged nicely.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:54 PM
aixgelo78
Instructor

I had the profect be for 2-3 years now and its a great boost controller. you can switch from low-high boost on the fly in a second.

chris
Old 04-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

I'm a big fan of my Profec B (original). Before buying anything with fuzzy logic or anything that needs to be "taught" -- be sure you have some place to take all gears to redline under boost. (!)
Old 04-11-2005, 10:50 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. I have heard nothing but good things about the Greddy Profec B (orriginal), and its probably one of my top choices. I am trying to decide if its worth spending the extra $200 for something like the HKS?

I do like the idea about the "plug and play" capability of the Profec B. Its real simple to use, and works really well. I guess I am just in a rough spot trying to determine if I should go for the more features with the HKS or Blitz... Or stick with the simple features of the Profec B.

Has anyone used the Profec Type-S? From what I have seen, its really new. It sounds like its basically an updated version of the Profec B (Orriginal), is this correct? If so, this seems like a winner over the orriginal Profec B, but again - is the HKS worth $200 above that? It sure looks sweet if nothing else!

Thanks again for all the suggestions so far!
Matt
Old 04-11-2005, 11:11 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

my profec-b spec ii works just fine, i got it on ebay new for about $250
Old 04-11-2005, 11:14 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im very happy with my Porfec A. Its a fuzzy logic learning one, but oh well.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:10 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Matthew951

Has anyone used the Profec Type-S? From what I have seen, its really new. It sounds like its basically an updated version of the Profec B (Orriginal), is this correct?
Matt
I really thought about this one but its the same price as the Spec II and the II has a display with a peak hold and max boost display. The display really comes in handy. I found that my autometer boost guage was reading about 1 psi low.
If you plan on putting the controller in the glove box and set it and forget it then the typs S is probably the way to go, but if you like to fiddle with it then I would go with the Spec II.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

I highly recommend Blitz EBC's. As far as the HKS evc5, I really don't have any experience with it. I have the Blitz Dual SBC Spec R which is basically a less fancy SBC-ID.

I'll say this much, don't waste your time with MBC's. Just do it right the first time and get an EBC. I went through 3 MBC's and didn't really like any of them, plus 2 of them had boost spikes pretty badly, and were very inconsistant on boost.

Also, thought I would dispell a myth. Lots of people say the factory boost gauge is highly inaccurate. Well, that is completely false. Up to 1 bar (2 bar absolute) it is actually very accurate. Higher than 1 bar and you need a different gauge of course. I tested my stock gauge using my EBC's boost readout, and my factory gauge was right on. I can understand some people having inaccuracies with these if there are leaks in the line, clogged line, etc.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Evan70
Pro

Originally Posted by Porschefile
Also, thought I would dispell a myth. Lots of people say the factory boost gauge is highly inaccurate. Well, that is completely false. Up to 1 bar (2 bar absolute) it is actually very accurate. Higher than 1 bar and you need a different gauge of course. I tested my stock gauge using my EBC's boost readout, and my factory gauge was right on.
This is true for me as well, my factory gauge matches my EBC readout almost perfectly all the way to 2bar. Of course, anything over 2bar is a different story as the stock gauge doesn't go any further.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:18 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll check into Blitz EBCs this weekend when I have a little more time. Yes - I believe my stock gauge is really accurate too, at least from what I can tell. Obviously I have to go by my Autometer gauage to compare, but it seems like it would be right.

Right now with the boost controllers, like I said before. I know I am getting an electronic, its just a matter of picking what one to buy. I really like the features and looks of the HKS, but no one has really used it, so I have nothing to go with, if its worth the money or not. I definately cannot go wrong with the Greddy Profec as everyone has said. But thats $300 as it is, so is $200 worth all the extra features, and such?

Sounds like I cant go wrong with any of the EBCs I am concidering. So I guess I just have to make up my mind, and figure out how much I want to spend - and just order the boost controller already. I have everything else needed to run 18psi, just need something to turn up the boost. Although, I have to install all the other parts as well, they are just laying around the house!

Thanks again everyone for all your input. Its been a big help, I am confident that out of all my choices, I basically cannot go wrong. So I guess its more of an individual thing, everyone seems to have their own controller they like, which is good, since I now know they all are worth owning

Thanks everyone,
Matt
Old 04-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Okay, from searching around, it looks like the Apexi AVC-R has the most features, for the least amount of money. Does anyone have any feedback on this controller? What you like/dislike about it?

Basically here are the cheapest prices I have found:

Apexi AVC-R - $399
BLITZ SBC ID3 - $499
HKS EVC 5 - $499

Out of these, the Apexi has the most features, and is obviously the cheapest one of the three. These prices include shipping costs as well.

How much of a difference does gear based boost control make? For those of you that use the Apexi, do you use this feature of the boost controller? For those of you who have the Blitz, do you plan on buying the extra $250 meter in order to do the gear based boost control?

Finally, for those that run the GReddy Profec controllers, are you happy without the gear based boost control, and the peak hold and all the other "bells and wistles" of the above controllers?

From what I have found, all the GReddy Profec's are basically the same price, they are all right about $300 shipped. No one has used the Greddy Profec Type-S on here?

Thanks for all the input so far!
Matt

Quick Reply: Electronic Boost Contoller - What to buy?