Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

some 944 turbo help

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 11:44 PM
matt351
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some 944 turbo help

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/194980-couple-of-944-turbo-questions.html

if you could help me at all i would appreciate it. i think i posted this in the wrong forum originally.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much if you dont mind me asking. The hicuping thing could be due to many things. It could be over boosting or some thing else. If you need a new clutch it better be selling for cheap. If you get the parts your self and have a mechanic do it it will be in the low 1000$ range. the car should definitely not be going through the 3rd clutch even if it has 150,000 miles. Specially if the clutch is only 40k old.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:08 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

It could be the way your friend drives the car perhaps he is spinning that clutch too much in order to have a quick take off.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:10 AM
matt351
AutoX

his uncle was drag racing around in it so thats why the clutches went. as for the price, most likely about 1500 bucks tops. i was gonna change the clutch and flywheel up at a friends house in indianapolis. it also needs the oil pan gasket changed so that would probably get done around the same time. the thing in 2nd and 3rd is what as me worried. i just hope its something as simple as the wastgate or something like that. i dont want to blow a lot on the car, just need something thats better on gas than the lightning is.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:26 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by matt351
his uncle was drag racing around in it so thats why the clutches went. as for the price, most likely about 1500 bucks tops. i was gonna change the clutch and flywheel up at a friends house in indianapolis. it also needs the oil pan gasket changed so that would probably get done around the same time. the thing in 2nd and 3rd is what as me worried. i just hope its something as simple as the wastgate or something like that. i dont want to blow a lot on the car, just need something thats better on gas than the lightning is.
Well against popular belief I still believe that the 944 turbo's were not designed to drag race. They are more suitable for road race. Obvious consequences of drag racing are burned clutches, broken axles etc. If you don't have access to large amounts of cash I would suggest staying away from drag racing.

my 02 cents
Old 04-02-2005, 12:49 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Matt- The "hiccup" could be many things. Is the car running stock boost? Does it have aftermarket chips? Is premium gas being used?

If it were me, my uncle would never again touch the car. Cluthes are not cheap, and they're certainly not easy to drop in. If the drivetrain has taken that much of a beating, I'm not sure it would ever be a "nice cruiser" without a lot of money invested. What condition is the rest of the car in?
Old 04-02-2005, 11:35 AM
matt351
AutoX

i meant that my friends uncle was just hot rodding around in the car. that guy has only driven the car for about 3 hrs total in its lifetime, and since he doesnt live withing 3 hrs of here he isnt gonna ever look at the car again.

the car is running stock boost with premium gas, ie..93 octane. and im almost positive there is no chip.

and the condition of the car is just about perfect really. the back glass is sort of unsealed right in the middle of the top, so it leaks a little. and the drivers seat needs new upholstery because its cracked. the seat doesnt really bother me because i planned on swapping in a black leather interior into the car to replace the beige.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:11 PM
matt351
AutoX

for the price im paying do you think its still worth it for me to buy the car. my friend has been driving the car around town so the clutch isnt bad. he doesnt drive the car hard, thats what the gsxr1000 is for. he absolutely babies it taking off and shifting. oh and i didnt mean that his uncle was at a strip drag racing the car, he was just gettin on it on the street.

Quick Reply: some 944 turbo help