Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

couple of 944 turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 10:37 PM
matt351
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple of 944 turbo questions

im thinking of buying a porsche 944 turbo off of a buddy of mine whos dad used to own it. there are a few things i am worried about.

1. does any aftermarket company make a heavy duty clutch that will hold up to typical driving. my friend has had the car for 50k and i think it needs its 3rd clutch in that time period. he doesnt drive the car hard at all. the first one went when his uncle drove it, then his uncle killed another one while he was in basic training, and the third one is starting to go after about 40k. i wont be racing this car or anything like that, well maybe getting on it from time to time but thats about it. ive got another hp vehicle for tearing up the streets.

2. my friend doesnt drive the car too often since he got into streetbikes. but while we were comming back from out of town on the interstate we punched it when a car load of girls went by. he was in third and put it to the floor. the car proceeded to hichup for lack of better terms. the only time it does this is at full throttle in second and third gear, never in first. its almost like its due to the load on the engine.

i feel competent enough to work on the car to an extent. i had planned on running a 3 inch exhaust from the turbo back through a good muffler, not ricey. but really i just want this to be a nice cruiser that handles great. ive been familiar with this car for probably 10 years now so i know its not a basket case by any means. what are your thoughts on this
Old 04-01-2005, 10:50 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

The newer style clutches do not use a rubber clutch disk. They use a spring/ roller clutch. The clutches should not go that quick... Something else is wrong. I just replaced my orig clutch...Had 130,000 on it.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:53 PM
matt351
AutoX

the only thing i remember was that the place that did the work used a factory "cup" clutch. i was just wondering if i could get a centerforce clutch or some other type of aftermarket clutch. the way i figured if a mustang or a camaro can take a crazy amount of hp through a stick why cant a porsche with 220hp keep from braking a stock clutch. i think the clutches went to about 40k without my friends uncle driving it like a mustang.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:03 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock disk/pp begins to overheat on the dyno around 375 RWHP.

I use a copper/ceramic - not too bad. I would get it with springs for everyday driving.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:38 PM
matt351
AutoX

could you show me a link to something i should use for the clutch and pressure plate thats stronger than stock, its kinda hard for me to find stuff on the net. id also like to buy parts that arent ridiculusly expensive. im used to looking up parts for my lightning so i dont know where to look for stuff for porsches.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:39 PM
matt351
AutoX

does anyone know what would cause the car to miss really bad in 2nd and 3rd gears. this is what really has me worried. if its the turbo or a wastgate i wouldnt have a problem with getting a newer and better part.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:47 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by matt351
could you show me a link to something i should use for the clutch and pressure plate thats stronger than stock,
www.paragon-products.com
www.vitesseracing.com
www.lindseyracing.com
Old 04-02-2005, 12:11 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matt351
does anyone know what would cause the car to miss really bad in 2nd and 3rd gears. this is what really has me worried. if its the turbo or a wastgate i wouldnt have a problem with getting a newer and better part.
It could be something as simple as a worn distributor rotor. I had a problem like this happened only happened at WOT and a simple tune up cured it. Its not the turbo and doesn't sound like a wastegate issue. Sounds like an ignition or fuel issue and I would lean towards the ignition issue.

Also the cup clutch should be pretty robust and plenty of clutch for stock hp.
http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...chkitsport.htm
Old 04-02-2005, 01:16 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"does anyone know what would cause the car to miss really bad in 2nd and 3rd gears."

Could be a big intake leak. Enough boost builds up in the higher gears and all the air rushes out that leak... Check all the rubber hoses and clamps after the turbo-outlet.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:22 AM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Your friend (or his uncle) doesn't know how to drive. The stock clutch on my 951 lasted over 100K miles with track time and "normal" abuse. I only replaced it because I was in there. It still had lots of life left. Oh yea, the stock 951 clutch was NEVER a rubber centered design, that was only for the naturally aspirated 944s.

The cup clutch is just fine, unless you're making some serious horsepower (which it doesn't sound like you are).

You have a few problems to work out with your car. Get it to a good porsche shop and get it checked out.

The hiccup sounds like an overboost cutoff. Check the vacuum line going to the wastegate off the cycling valve (between the intake runners of cyl 3 and 4.). I wouldn't be surprised if the CV nipple is broken off or the line is rotted through.

Dal.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:47 AM
callmethewanderer
Instructor

Dal, i just got an '89 S2, do you know what kind of clutch that came with? should i be thinking about changing it? thx, john
Old 04-02-2005, 02:11 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Yeah, ive seen plenty of 944 clutches with massive miles on them and no problem. My car has 68,000 miles on the original clutch, and I am the 4th owner. It was a semi-daily driver for the first 2 owners.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:59 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

My old 944 (orginally my moms and hers again) has over 200K now on the orginal clutch
Old 04-02-2005, 09:00 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Danno
"does anyone know what would cause the car to miss really bad in 2nd and 3rd gears."

Could be a big intake leak. Enough boost builds up in the higher gears and all the air rushes out that leak... Check all the rubber hoses and clamps after the turbo-outlet.
And look for cracks and slits in the bottom of hoses that aren't evident. New cltches work fine if you don't abuse them.

Mage sure you get a pre purchase inspection by a shop that really knows these cars. You really want to know what you're getting into. Especially when you're buying from someone you know and want to keep as a friend.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:19 AM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's vacuum, lindsey racing has a silicone vacuum hose replacement kit, all the hose and tees to replace them all, then there's no questions. It's on my to do list, which seems to grow larger by the day.

Quick Reply: couple of 944 turbo questions