Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Feeler/Possible Farewell

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005 | 05:47 PM
Porsche951redt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feeler/Possible Farewell

Since i am financialy strapped and rely on my guardians for support in regards to my car. In light of the recent clutch problem (car needs new clutch) they wanted me to post it on this website and see if anyone was interested in purchasing it at a low cost. It is a 1989 Turbo S Widebody Converstion (proffesionaly done), rims and rubber originaly worth 6k, 197k kilometers (121k miles), corbeau seats with roll bars to which the 5 point racing harness is hooked up to, gutted from the drivers seat back, all orignal back upholsty available. Optional 8inch rear infinity speakers with Sony head unit together worth 700$CAD, and a need for a new clutch.

Appreciate any insight, or comments

Old 03-30-2005 | 06:21 PM
Porsche951redt
Racer

maybe thoughts on how much i can get for it?
Old 03-30-2005 | 06:28 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Tricky. It's so extensively modified, you're aiming at a very small market..... Plus I wouldn't know over the pond anyhow! Stick an ad in the classifieds and see what happens. I guess it's all down to how much you need to get the cash together too. Puts the buyer in a rather strong position.
Old 03-30-2005 | 06:33 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

The highly modified part is going to get you (as you know from some of your posts

However I would say USD $5,000 on the lowest end.
Old 03-30-2005 | 06:37 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Find a friend, and fix it with non high performance clutch parts for 1K.
Old 03-30-2005 | 06:58 PM
Curt911
Pro

If it were here in FL I'd go $5k
Old 03-30-2005 | 11:19 PM
Porsche951redt
Racer

Thanks for the input guys, the best thing to do would be part it off. Rims engine parts drivetrain and so on and so forth. I wish i had a lift then i would do the repair myself and save 1700$ and only pay 900$ for the clutch set-up itself.
Old 03-31-2005 | 12:05 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Not parting it out!!!

If you don't mind....
What do you have in it?
What are you "needing" to get out of it?

Rennlisters are really good at doing math...or course we are also really good at picking over a corpse...
Old 03-31-2005 | 12:58 AM
J Chen
Drifting

It's a real shame to part. What about garaging
the car till you have enough funds ? If you part
off the parts the Strosek body would go to
waste unless if someone would buy the body
& use it.
Old 03-31-2005 | 02:16 AM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

Man, that sucks. I was in the same boat as you. I was 17 and my clutch went. Luckily I have an 8 buck per hour job and was able to fix it. Now at that rate, It DID take the entire summer of working 40 hours a week to buy a clutch and have it put in. When it was all said and done, I spent 3k. These cars will really drain you if you don't do work yourself. Besides the clutch, I have tried to do everything myself, but my parents wouldn't let me do the clutch because it's such a huge job. Maybe you can get a loan? If you do decide to part it out, I'm probably one of the few that loves the rear break vents and the hatch. Hit me up if you want to sell me anything. Sorry to hear about your situation.
Old 03-31-2005 | 09:13 AM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche951redt
Thanks for the input guys, the best thing to do would be part it off. Rims engine parts drivetrain and so on and so forth. I wish i had a lift then i would do the repair myself and save 1700$ and only pay 900$ for the clutch set-up itself.
I sincerely hope you don't try a clutch change yourself. Remember, you are the guy who didn't know what or where the fuses were and changed your oil w/o a filter change and left out 2 quarts then posted about how your oil light was on even though your "fuel pressure" was really high. Yes, Mike is your age and has done a lot of work on his car himself, but there is a major difference between the two of you, your mechanical skill levels are miles apart. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if you keep this car I am 90% sure it will be for sale in a year or two with a blown engine and you will be taking a huge bath on the deal. Start with a cheaper car, develop your skills and knowlege in auto repair, become more financially stable, THEN buy a 951.

Oh yeah, Mike, If you put those "gills" on your fenders I will point and laugh
Old 03-31-2005 | 10:47 AM
djazzy99
Instructor

sell the stereo, the black upholstery, and whatever else your parents may not notice missing from the house. Then check the classifieds, there are 2 clutches listed right now.

i bought my car as somewhat of a project, and the clutch was pretty much done, however, i drove like that, never launched it, went to a solo racing school, 5-6 events, coupel of lapping days, and it was still good. however, when i spun the bearing, and the motor was out, it was time to do everything, so thats where i am now.

i do NOT think its worth getting rid of/parting your car because it needs a clutch. Since you are in waterloo, you should give Randy Meyers a call [search in the canada forum], he's close to you, and i bet he even has a used clutch disk for you....give it a try. [he may also know where you can get the job done and save a little $]

oh yeah, doing it yourself saves a lot of money, but i wouldnt be experimenting with a car/job like this....
Old 03-31-2005 | 11:16 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Let me add. If you do get rid of it, and as unpleasant as that is. You will be a lot less stressed if you just go buy a beater....plus you will improve your mechanical skills along the way.(and by beater I recommend something out of the Porsche family, think Toyota or Saturn-which I hate but you can't beat those plastic panels...ok well you can and that is my point!)
There are plenty of 951's out there and you will easily (depending on your mechanical skills and financials) find another one...believe me!
Old 03-31-2005 | 11:58 AM
Porsche951redt
Racer

Oh i totaly understand that i am not capable of doing the clutch job myself. My dad said that he would be willing to help me if there could be someway to rent a lift for a couple of days around here in waterloo and have all the necessary tools. I knew that owning a 951 would require constant maintenance but i just never fully realised that that sale tag should be trippled instead of doubled including the repair and maintenance costs
Old 03-31-2005 | 12:12 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You dont need a lift, just a jack, 4 or even better 6 jackstands (preferably bigger 4 or 6 ton ones that can lift up higher than the small ones, and least four should be that size) and then a sheet of cardboard since that makes it easier to slide yourself around.

Quick Reply: Feeler/Possible Farewell