Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

No BOOST And I found out why.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 05:38 PM
951TurboEuroSpec
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No BOOST And I found out why.....

Just got my car back from my mechanic, after doing a clutch job, and now my car has no boost. I also had the veturi update kit installed as the intake was of for this procedure (1986 1 piece crossover) the boost gauge climbs to 1bar (atmosphere). builds no boost there are no leaks in the vacuum lines, but the wastegate line to the cycling valve is broken at the wastegate........ My mechanic told me that the car was making boost this morning on his test drive. but when i picked it up the boost was not there...... I would have thought that the car would over boost without this line pugged in. UNLESS

Since the hose is broken at the wastegate wouldnt there be a big vacuum leak coming through from the cycling valve going towards the wastegate causing the no BOOST situation??
My mechanic doesnt think this would effect boost though.. he thinks this would only induce overboost......
Would like some feedback on this problem
and what size line should i be running from my wastegate to cycling valve.

Last edited by 951TurboEuroSpec; 03-31-2005 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:41 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Search is great........

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/193116-new-clutch-better-grip-but-no-boost.html
Old 03-30-2005, 05:41 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well replace the line and see if it fixes the problem... cant be to hard
Old 03-30-2005, 05:43 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

It would overboost.

Maybe the KLR line wasn't plugged back into the intake to measure the boost? Check the connections. The boost line to the KLR is a clear (now yellow) ~1/4 inch thick line that should be connected to the rear port on the intake manifold, between #3 and #4 runners.

Dal.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:34 PM
951TurboEuroSpec
Instructor

My klr line is plugged in as well, I will replace the wastegate line first thing as i left the car at the shop.

I just got a call from my mechanic who test drove the car, it made no boost from start until about 10 minutes down the road, then all of a sudden it had full boost for the ride back (without the wastegate line connected) What are other possibilities.
wastegate problem?

Last edited by 951TurboEuroSpec; 03-31-2005 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:10 PM
Black Arrow
Racer

It should be very easy.. Wg open, no boost. Wg closed overboost. If the line to the wg is broken/off it should overboost. Even though you have a big vacum leak from that hose, you should see some boost at least! I think you got problems with your wg(if you dont see or hear any other big vacum, intake or exhaust leaks) Mine 2 cent.

btw; what kind of wheels do you got? Looking good
Old 03-30-2005, 08:52 PM
951TurboEuroSpec
Instructor

I agree and think the wastegate could be the problem, just there was never an issue with this before. The crossover pipe near the wastegate was cut instead of unbolted, then welded back together, could particles have gotten in and jammed up the WG. ( I couldnt believe it when i saw the weld) My cross over pipe used to be a smooth 1 piece design.

Trending Topics

Old 03-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

CUT?!?!?

Nice, real professional. The crossover is a two layer pipe with asbestos between the layers. It's an insulated pipe. I'd get them to buy you a new one. They ruined that one. I'll bet that they screwed up other stuff too. I'd be really pissed at them right about now. Who did the work? I have some knowledge of the shops in Toronto.

If you want, I can give you the name of a shop that will do the job correctly and not screw up your car.

Dal.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:41 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

All i can say is fix the line and see if it fixes it... maybe your wg is stuck open? Try replacing the cycle valve after you put a line in.

Start there and if it doesn't fix it let us know
Old 03-31-2005, 03:27 AM
951TurboEuroSpec
Instructor

I had the car fixed at Refined Motorsports the mechanic is well known here in metro Toronto, and is very knowlegeble with our perticular cars. Ive been going to him for about 7 years and have never seen anything like this.
the crossover pipe was cut directly in the center of the pipe between the wastegate flange and crossover. ( on 87 and up it is were the factory has a flange) but on mine it is supposed to be 1 piece. it is 1 layer at that point..
It seems like the problem is intermitent drive without any boost for 20-30 min. then it will get full boost for a little bit then go back to no boost..........
I plugged the broken wastegate line to seal any possible leak from the CV and there is no difference.

Could particles from the weld have lodged in the wastegate mechanism causing this.
Its unfortunate because the car drove amazing before bringing it in for the clutch job even with the **** clutch......
Im bringing it back to the shop in the morning for a closer inspection. I will update later.

Thanks for the comments Black Beauty on the wheels, they are 18 TechArts running Avon Tires 225/265.

Last edited by 951TurboEuroSpec; 03-31-2005 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:22 PM
951TurboEuroSpec
Instructor

Well what can I say the problem is.............. seazed turbo! took the J boot off and the turbine will not spin. the turbo looks perfect nothing in the oil blades are still shinny.. How could this have happened the car never smoked and boosted consistantly until i brought it in......
I suspect during test driving the car with the wastegate line not hooked up the mechanic overboosted the car, causing the seazure.
When i picked up the car he told me nothing was wrong and the car boosted like crazy and said my turbo is really good. Now he is saying that these things could happen at any moment and that the line would have never caused this situation. Can someone please explain. if these are possible variables.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:31 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Take it to Engineered Automotive http://www.engineeredautomotive.com. The owner is an ex-Porsche turbo cup racer/chief mechanic. He knows what he's doing. These guys that you are working with sound like hacks.

Overboosting a turbo will NOT cause it to seize up.

Sounds like they royally screwed up your car.

Dal.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:51 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You wont have oil leaks, sounds like there has been no oil there at all...
Old 03-31-2005, 10:05 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951TurboEuroSpec
Well what can I say the problem is.............. seazed turbo! took the J boot off and the turbine will not spin. the turbo looks perfect nothing in the oil blades are still shinny.. How could this have happened the car never smoked and boosted consistantly until i brought it in......
I suspect during test driving the car with the wastegate line not hooked up the mechanic overboosted the car, causing the seazure.
When i picked up the car he told me nothing was wrong and the car boosted like crazy and said my turbo is really good. Now he is saying that these things could happen at any moment and that the line would have never caused this situation. Can someone please explain. if these are possible variables.
oooooooOOOOOO0000o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o ****

Thats a real bummer man. Well here is your chance to buy a to4e or some other crazy turbo i have never heard of
Old 03-31-2005, 10:38 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Overboosting isn't going to damage the turbo, that was probably caused a a loose piece of weld fom the inside of the crossover pipe. I'd find another shop.

Quick Reply: No BOOST And I found out why.....