Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Belt change interval for track car...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Belt change interval for track car...

I had the timing belt (along with balance shaft belt and water pump) replaced on my car 3 years and 20K miles ago. The car has seen about 20 DE days per year since then. The timing belt was off and reinstalled 6 months ago when my head gasket was replaced. It looks fine physically.

I'm interested in thoughts from people who track their cars a lot whether the timing belt should be good for the standard 30K mile interval, or whether with the stress from track use an earlier replacement (like about now!) is desirable. TIA!

Old 03-28-2005, 01:39 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I've hit a 5-year (self-imposed) age limit before a mileage limit. I wouldn't think it would hurt, though I haven't heard of anyone breaking a belt while on the track before the 30k mile limit.
You must drive faster to rack up more track miles than me. ;-)

I'm really surprised that you didn't spring for a new belt (or Ivan didn't insist) when you had the head off the car.

Will we be setting up the 944 Ghetto at VIR this weekend??
Old 03-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We put a 4 yr limit on our track car.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:35 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any opportunity you get might be the best plan. The belts are relatively cheap, so if you have the cam tower or head off, I'd just do 'em. Who knows? You might get lucky and not have to touch the front of the engine again for a looooong time.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:46 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi, Jerome! At the current rate, I'd probably also hit the 5 year point before the 30K miles. I racked up more mileage initially driving to/from places like VIR and the Glen, but now with the trailer that's no longer a factor. I know driving faster than you on the track is NOT a factor!!

It didn't occur to me to ask about the belt last year when the head was off. I brought it up with IMA when the car was in for pre-season check-up this February. Ivan didn't seem particulary concerned, but Peter was pushing hard on the recommendation. That's why I thought I'd solicit some other opinions. I'd always kind of thought 4 years or 25K miles might be appropriate for a car that is tracked to provide a little safety margin over the usual 5 yr/30K mile recommendation, but that's just a guess on my part. 3 years/20K seems very conservative, but I don't know if I should be concerned that the belt was reinstalled/retensioned during that time.

We won't be at VIR next weekend; we're going down at the end of the month for the Audi Club event there. As an Instructor with Audi Club I get to do that event free and just pay for the wife. With PCA Zone 2 I'd have to pay for two people (although we'd get an extra day.) The June event at Summit Point will probably be the next PCA Potomac event for me.

Hope you guys have a great time there at VIR! I'm looking forward to hearing reports on how the Grand National course works out!!

Old 03-28-2005, 04:41 PM
jerome951
Drifting

You're right. I think 3 yrs/20k miles may be too conservative. Each winter I inspect the belts for cracking, wear, etc. and retension with the 'auto' tensioner.

When I had the belts changed at 5 years they still looked fine. Mileage was ~20k. Mixed highway and track as I only started towing last year.

Sweet deal. How do I become an Audi instructor?? I hope I don't have to buy an Audi. ;-)
Old 03-28-2005, 05:20 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jerome951
Sweet deal. How do I become an Audi instructor?? I hope I don't have to buy an Audi. ;-)
Jerome:

Nothing wrong with buying an Audi, but you don't have to own one you just have to be a member of the Audi Club ($44/year.) You can drive any car you want in their track events (unlike local PCA.)

I assume you know John Sullivan (aka Dr. John)? He's the Chief Instructor for the local Audi Club events at VIR and Summit Point. If he knows you're already a PCA Potomac Instructor you'll have no problem. The local group does two events a year at VIR (late April and early December), one at Summit Point (mid-Oct) and I think they are co-sponsoring one at Beaver Run with the Ohio Region (mid-July.)

Nando instructed with us at VIR in December, and George Wh. is signed up for the April event. Let me know if you'd like more info on the Club, how to join, points of contact, etc.

Old 03-29-2005, 08:58 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Thanks Renn951,

If my schedule weren't full w/ Potomac events I'd consider it. I'll think about the mid-Oct. date but everything else coincides with some other event. I almost bought an S4 a few years ago but settled for an M3 instead.

I know Dr. John really well now. I asked him to drive my car to get some feedback on suspension setup. One of the scariest rides I've ever had. Damn fast....

Quick Reply: Belt change interval for track car...