Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

vented nose panel

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 12:16 PM
cooter-1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vented nose panel

Since my car got a crease across the hood badge and the nose panel will need to be replaced, I am considering going with a vented nose panel like this:
http://www.automotion.com/ProductPag...+Panel&type=20
Has anyone one the forum gone with this type panel and here are my questions; does debris like leaves and such collect on the intercooler more than with the standard nose panel? Would a hood badge not look right or fit on this type panel? Is there a noticeable performance increase, or is this just another selling point?
Thanks,
Gary Coots
'87 951
Old 03-22-2005, 12:29 PM
AZ968Cab
Cab'n It
Rennlist Member

I've been told by a few folks including my shop that even though that looks cool, they don't fit well for some reason. I had mine vented by Speed Force. You might want to check with 20th street auto here in Phoenix to see how much a new nose will cost you to buy and have SFR vent it. I have an S2 so instead of the intercooler, I plumbed the intake up to the nose with a kit from EVO and have a K&N cone inside the vent holes. The straight-in cool air makes a real difference.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:03 PM
daniel951
Race Car

if u go to a machine shope they can do it for u. my friends machine shop cut mine and it looks great.i can take a pic u want
Old 03-22-2005, 07:42 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a number of other, and usually cheaper vendors out there for this piece. Among them American International Racing, Gt racing. If it's not damaged too badly, the sfr option is pretty good, and the fitment is not an issue. I haven't heard of any other where fitment was "street car" tight. The others are made for race cars, generally, and though very light, it takes some extra work to fit them as well. BTW almost everything that you find at Performance/Automotion, is over priced.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:19 AM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Automotions $339.95 is very inflated. I got the exact same nose panel from American International Racing for $250 + shipping.

For pictures of my 951 with the AIR vented nose panel, check out my picture gallery:
http://64.135.14.163/gallery/view_al...mName=exterior

Note that I did have the hood crest installed and I'm glad I did.

As for fitment, it's true that it did not fit perfectly on arrival. That said, it required only two things: lightly sanding the upper lower edge to meet the hood flush, and building out the sides with additional fiberglass because the panel was barely too narrow. Neither were all that difficult.

I love the look. Just my opinion but the SFR style cut panels look ugly. There's no depth to it and it doesn't look factory, whereas the Automotions / AIR / GT Racing vented nose panel has the look of an original piece. It just 'fits' better visually.

I have not had a problem with leaves and debris.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:17 PM
SS 951
Racer

I purchased an 86 951 last month that has the vented nose panel. Seems functional for the intercooler, and the Porsche crest is installed which I'd recommend too.

Scott
Old 03-26-2005, 01:20 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

How do you route the air from the nose panel to the intercooler? Do you remove or modify the original duct which directs the air from the bumper opening to the IC?
Old 03-26-2005, 03:25 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDeitz951
How do you route the air from the nose panel to the intercooler? Do you remove or modify the original duct which directs the air from the bumper opening to the IC?
This is wat I did...
Attached Images   
Old 03-26-2005, 04:29 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

NZ is a sheet metal wiz! So you trashed the factory duct altogether.

I prefer the 4 vents look over the 2 vents of Dark Lightnings, but I do appreciate the nice finished and quality look.

NZ, did you modify your nose panel or is it a purchased one? Do I see some type of grill behind the openings? If you did make the openings yourself, I'd like to know the details. I have a full machine shop, so I'm tempted to try it....
Old 03-26-2005, 04:40 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Thats a modded stock panel. I heard of horror fit stories with the other header panels, and I am a bit **** with my car. I trashed the stock duct, you have to do this to allow air from the vents in. They are 931 grille vents, so they have lourvered grills. You can get them for $10 each at your local Porsche dealer. I have posted a thread on the dimensions etc... I will see if I can bump it for you. I had a pane shop do it, I figured I could not do the rolling on the edges.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:43 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is another idea for intercooler duct - two seperate pcs of alum, screwed together, top bent down on the sides, bottom bent up.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:54 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ski
here is another idea for intercooler duct - two seperate pcs of alum, screwed together, top bent down on the sides, bottom bent up.
That's exactly what I did. Two $10 pieces of sheet metal and some tin snips are all you need.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:55 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Ski thats a great design, had you thought about adding rubber gaskets to seal against the header?
Old 03-26-2005, 06:57 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you, I wish I could take credit but that belongs to Mr Chris Cervelli. That's the old pc, well I should say the original pc that we got off the wrecked race car and put on our track car. We added to it since we bought the LR Stage V header panel. We had to add a short extension to it to grab the air from the stage V panel, added some beading at the top to help seal it and then split some silicone hose to protect the fiberglass on the sides.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:51 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went with the same type of ducting as Ski showed on Chris's car. Cut my own openings.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: vented nose panel