Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clear markers and signal lenses for cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Klearz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

working on the molds..........
Old 06-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Klearz
Advanced

one mold is done and here is a test lens.
its a tad warped but its just a test run, the others will be ok.

Old 06-14-2005, 01:34 PM
clangjr
Racer

This may be a stupid request, but can someone post a pic of a car or several different colored cars with the clear lenses? I'm having a hard time envisioning what it would look like.

Klearz-
How did it warp, and how would future ones not warp? Did you pull it out of the mold too early or something?
Chuck
Old 06-14-2005, 02:32 PM
Missin2
Racer

GREAT! its looks good!

get to work on the fog lamps now..
Old 06-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Klearz
Advanced

send me the pictures of cars you would like to see, 1 or 2 and i can photoshop em for you
tinastjean@hotmail.com
Old 06-14-2005, 04:37 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Old 06-14-2005, 07:56 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Tina,
Having read through this, this looks like a great addition - is it still possible to join the group buy (I don't see a 'send deposit' part of the front turn signals for 944 turbos) and have enough side marker lights been deposited for that as well (didn't look like it, but I wanted to make sure I didn't misunderstand)?
I also didn't see a resolution for part of the tail-light lens question - I'd personally rather see a single red, or perhaps smoked taillight replacement rather than strips or 6 'cells' - with the picture that you have, could you estimate cost for a single replacement piece (I'd also assume that for tail/brake lights there would be a potential warping/melting issue, which would be exaggerated if a single replacement lens was used - is there anything you can do with your molding/materials to ensure that the quality will be there after a few hours sitting at stoplights, as my old set of factory ones were warped pretty heftily?)
Thanks,
Old 06-14-2005, 08:21 PM
ewainwright
Racer

I too would be interested in the tail lights. What would be the cost? Regarding the fog lights, is it your intention to make the buckets that the light assembly sits in? Thanks ed
Old 06-20-2005, 06:58 PM
Klearz
Advanced

sorry for not responding sooner, i usualy get an email notice when replies are added to the thread.

for the Porsche, 951 or 944S2 turn signal, we have the second mold completed so after a few test runs we should be able to start pumping those out. as soon as we are ready to start sending lenses i will be asking ppl who gave the down payment to give the rest of the payment, and they will be the first to receive the lenses. then ill add a button on the site and everyone else can order when they want. we are not taking anymore down payments for these as the pre production part is over. the buy now button will be available soon.

for the tailight i still dont have a clear understanding of how the light is made up. is it 6 seperate lenses? are they hard to seperate?
i wouldnt be making the bucket, we make the lenses only.
if you guys look at this picture maybe you can describe to me what lens is what and what you would like to see produced in clear. once i have all that info i can start giving an estimated price. also some dimentions would be helpful. if all the lenses seperate, it looks like a single lens would be around 30-40$.

as far as melting/warping. we havent had any problems yet. we use a material made especially for lenses with the uv protection, so im sure its as heat resistant as oem lenses.

SamGrant951 can i use that picture for my website?
Old 06-21-2005, 04:16 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Tina, you are correct that the tail light uses 6 separate lenses - I might be alone here (or myself and Ed from what I understand) but I was envisioning a single piece of red to replace the 6 separate pieces - not sure if that would make the job easier or harder, but it seemed (imho) to be a 'cleaner' solution (emulating the 968 look) and perhaps would involve less time in both removal and installation for the housings. I have a set in my warehouse somewhere, I'll try to dig them out and measure, and perhaps we could use those as the test beds - only issue is that they're old and have a few cracks. Are you able to finish out rougher pieces in the mold prior to making the actual piece (i.e. would an old, slightly cracked taillight be out of the question due to quality, or can you improve the quality some once the initial templates/molds are taken?)

Thanks again,

Jason
Old 06-21-2005, 09:57 PM
Klearz
Advanced

one big lens is possible but the lens wouldnt be completly smooth. you would still see the lines that seperate them and i think it would look just the same. i supose it would be easier to produce and install.

if we do them as one peice. then we could either do them in all clear or all red. no color combination.

also if we do a one peice we wont be able to do them for a few months as we are not able to do big lenses yet since the fire.

we are able to used lenses that have surface scratches but no deep scrathces or cracks. sometimes old lenses will crack just on the inside, if you cant feel the crack with your fingernail then they are good.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:50 AM
Judson951
Drifting

Whats the deal here? I am about to order to high priced ones. Thanks you guys. JR
Old 06-22-2005, 03:34 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can make a 968 rip off rear light, I am all over it like white on rice. Have you seen pics of it?
Old 06-22-2005, 03:35 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

NZ, at your sig. . . .
Old 06-22-2005, 03:36 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You mean my AIM name? Its not that funny Ted :P

Quick Reply: Clear markers and signal lenses for cheap?