Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tired of fighting, lets make a 951 Motronic website

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 10:34 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tired of fighting, lets make a 951 Motronic website

EDIT- For people who dont like to read, here is the initial location of the site, check for updates!

http://members.rennlist.com/mark944turbo/

The threads lately dealing with the DME, KLR, chip burning, and the various sensors have gotten out of hand. However, a lot of new information has come out, at least new to rennlist.

I am volunteering to compile all of this data on a website that will be free of pointless insults, it will be 100% data. In the next few days I will upload all of my notes, everything I know about the system. Then I will post a link to the website, and people will be free to read it and contribute if they like. They can email me articles, corrections, whatever, and I will post them daily.

I am no web expert but I want to run the site because I know I will stay dedicated to updating it when information changes, as I am sure it will.

Hopefully, in a month or so, all the "secrets and unknown's" of Motronic will be available to us all. Less fighting, more fast cars and saved money on rennlist. Every one of us should be able to learn something if everyone contributes.

Anyone with any input please post, and I will reply when the site is up.

Last edited by mark944turbo; 03-20-2005 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:43 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I think this was one interesting thread that hally posted. Now, put this with a bunch of chips people developed with different setups and you have a real winner.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ing+experience

I also have the schematics for the DME downloaded from FR Wilks site. Tried to get the link up to post it but it was down, hope it still exists
Old 03-19-2005, 10:59 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

I have a schematic saved, I am not sure if it is from the 944 or the 951, I will post it. If anyone has schematics that they will donate, post up!

As far as posting different tuners' code, I am not sure if it is legal or not. I bet it isnt, since Porsche or Bosch owns the original code, but I am not going to do it anyway. Several of them have helped me, and that would be a direct attack on their businesses. Plus, that would rule out all possiblity of these tuner's helping.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:04 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

The schematics are too big to be posted.170K. If you reduce the resolution, they are hard to read. Were you going to have a Web page to post big files? Maybe you could get Rennlist to supply a site.

Sorry, no way I was talking about coping code off of tuners ICs! I was talking about posting code that people developed using the Motronic program. Just like hally did in his posts.

I also have a little circuit that converts the 2732 EPROM to use a EEPROM on an extension cable. This allows quick reprogramming of the IC (no UV erase cycle) and you don't have to crack open the DME each time you want to change the program.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:18 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

I am not sure if I will use rennlist or my schools service to make the site, I think I get a lot of space from school, but I can worry about that.

Sorry, I misinterpreted what you meant by posting other peoples code. But I will leave my response there anyway to make it clear that is not what this site will be about.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:50 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

This is a good idea...but I dont think you should post anyones EPROM images as they are still someone elses original data. All most of us are doing is fine tuning the maps to our cars.
The EEPROM adapter would be great to have
Old 03-19-2005, 11:55 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

This will be the location of the site to start, it will probably be moved soon.

I am unsure on posting of screenshots of Motronic 911. I know many other forums where code is posted openly, not that that means we should, but they dont seem to have problems.

I do want to, because visually showing what to do instead of describing it would be so much easier. These cars so old, I dont think anyone will mind, but more opinions are welcome.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:00 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Another point, people pay tuners to develop ICs for a reason. If you make a mistake, you can blow your head gasket or the entire engine. If you take small steps, have a good WB O2 monitor, you should be OK. This should be clearly addressed on the site.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:15 AM
AlexE
Pro

Go For it......... POST LOTS OF INFO.

It will make great bed time reading.

Old 03-20-2005, 01:26 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark, I will send you some files.

Last edited by Bri Bro; 03-20-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:46 AM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here are the 88 model year schematics that I downloaded from FR Wilks site back when it was up and running.

http://members.rennlist.com/rob/ML31TAU.pdf

http://members.rennlist.com/rob/ML31TDU.pdf
Old 03-20-2005, 11:21 AM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark944turbo
EDIT- For people who dont like to read, here is the initial location of the site, check for updates!

The threads lately dealing with the DME, KLR, chip burning, and the various sensors have gotten out of hand. However, a lot of new information has come out, at least new to rennlist.

I am volunteering to compile all of this data on a website that will be free of pointless insults, it will be 100% data. In the next few days I will upload all of my notes, everything I know about the system. Then I will post a link to the website, and people will be free to read it and contribute if they like. They can email me articles, corrections, whatever, and I will post them daily.

I am no web expert but I want to run the site because I know I will stay dedicated to updating it when information changes, as I am sure it will.

Hopefully, in a month or so, all the "secrets and unknown's" of Motronic will be available to us all. Less fighting, more fast cars and saved money on rennlist. Every one of us should be able to learn something if everyone contributes.

Anyone with any input please post, and I will reply when the site is up.
Mark,

This is such a great idea!! I'm sure many here appreciate your efforts and look forward to your progress. Yet another tool for increasing the "fun factor" of 951 ownership! A big thanks to Mark and to all that contribute to the goal - Rennlist ROCKS!!

Good luck man!!
Old 03-20-2005, 12:37 PM
J Chen
Drifting

Thanks Mark for putting in the effort.
Another new journey & learning curve
for me.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:33 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

I have updated the site a bit, so I am bumping this thread to the top for more exposure. To everyone who has sent me stuff, I have not had time to thank you all individually, but THANKS!!!

I will continue posting new things and making the website prettier day by day. So keep sending things!
Old 03-25-2005, 12:26 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Nice work! I will try to dig up some stuff for the site...

Quick Reply: Tired of fighting, lets make a 951 Motronic website