Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lights out, boys and girls

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 08:09 PM
jns
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lights out, boys and girls

Today when I turned the ignition on the pwr. windows,mirrors,dash lights,turn signals,starter and taillights were dead. They were working yesterday. The headlights and pwr. locks work. I didn't check before but the window winder relay was hot enough to cook a steak on. Any ideas before I call in an exorcist for these gremlins? Also, what are the white round things near the battery on the firewall under the cover with the brown wires coming out of it?
Old 02-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't check before but the window winder relay was hot enough to cook a steak on
Nice. Have fun finding the short now that the battery is dead!!!!

Also, what are the white round things near the battery on the firewall under the cover with the brown wires coming out of it?
Hmm.. couldn't find anything like that on my car. Photos? Maybe they are aftermarket alarm wires or something...
Old 02-18-2005, 11:28 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think this is what he's talking about. Aren't they some sort of ballast resistors?
Old 02-19-2005, 01:46 AM
jns
Racer

Yes sir, that would be the white gizmos in question however yours look pretty nice. Mine are corroded as hell. Also,my battery is charged up so it's not the culprit. I've cleaned a lot of grounding points and am going to clean the connections at the starter tomorrow. Is it normal for the window winder relay to get so hot? I wasn't even using the windows. What else does it operate so I can try to find a short(sunroof,etc.?). Could the relay be shorted out inside somehow. I pulled it off of the fuse box but still don't have power to the other accessories mentioned above. Please help.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:02 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those resistors are for the radiator fans, you're sig says you're car is an '86?
The '86 resistors were under the passenger side's dash, the later cars have them in the battery compartment area........you're pic suggests an '86 with the resistors in the battery area
Old 02-19-2005, 12:50 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, finally somebody else with the power window gremlin. I actually melted 3 relays into a puddle before I just took the case off one. That kept it cool enough, but every couple of weeks I had to replace the resistor at the top.

I searched and searched through my entire damn car, and never found the problem.
Eventually the car burned from something completely unrelated, but still, let us know if you do find the problem.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:29 AM
jns
Racer

Yikes! Sorry to hear about your car burning. With this old wiring, I might look into an emergency batt. disconnect and a Halon kit. I have to be able to drive it first,though. OK, so is it normal for the window winder relay to get so hot even when not using the pwr. windows or does this definitely mean a short? Also, when the windows did work the other day, I noticed they wouldn't work for the few seconds after the ignition was turned off like on other posts I read saying they were on a timer or something. Could there be a possible short there? Thanks.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:58 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Sometimes a failure of the window regualtor stop switch will result in a curcuit overload. Unplug the motors in both doors and see if you still have the problem.

Other than that.. relay or a stuck switch.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:14 AM
jns
Racer

Good plan, Perry. I think I'll just disconnect everything pwr. window related and try to diagnose from there. I still don't know how I lost power to almost all the interior accessories and signals. I tried cleaning the pos. wires at the starter solenoid but the nut was corroded and it took the threads off the stud when it came off. New solenoid en route.

Quick Reply: Lights out, boys and girls