Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

FVD Brombacher 944 Turbo chips - Anyone tried them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 06:21 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question FVD Brombacher 944 Turbo chips - Anyone tried them?

Browsing the FVD Brombacher catalog I got from my local Porsche club, I noticed they list a Motronic chip upgrade for the 944 Turbo.

Specifically FVD 951 618 XX

U.S. Catalog Price: $795

Anyone familiar with these chips?

U.S. FVD Brombacher Website

Last edited by Luis de Prat; 02-02-2005 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:31 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, and for that price I will stay unfamiliar with them

Go with GURU or Vitesse. Probably 2x the performace and less then half the cost.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:42 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

In all fairness, I'm not sure what that price includes, as some of the Motronic upgrades include the DME.

Gasoline composition in Europe and the U.S. are different and I've heard that chips that work well in the U.S. don't always work the same in Europe.

Since my 951 is in Europe, I'm looking for chips that will positively work here. I have a few leads, but I'm narrowing down my choices. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2005, 10:47 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
In all fairness, I'm not sure what that price includes, as some of the Motronic upgrades include the DME.

Gasoline composition in Europe and the U.S. are different and I've heard that chips that work well in the U.S. don't always work the same in Europe.

Since my 951 is in Europe, I'm looking for chips that will positively work here. I have a few leads, but I'm narrowing down my choices. Thanks!
The difference in fuel is only the octane level and any chip producer that knows their product can change that. Danno changed the settings for 95, 98 and 100 octane that we have in Sweden and Germany in about 10 seconds.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sweanders
The difference in fuel is only the octane level and any chip producer that knows their product can change that. Danno changed the settings for 95, 98 and 100 octane that we have in Sweden and Germany in about 10 seconds.
No, as you probably recall the octane measurement system here (RON) is different from that in the U.S. (average of RON and MON). There's a bit more to fuel composition than the octane number on your local fuel pump.

E.g. since Europe only uses RON, a Euro 96 octane is roughly the same as a U.S. 92 octane.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:57 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, as you probably recall the octane measurement system here (RON) is different from that in the U.S. (average of RON and MON). There's a bit more to fuel composition than the octane number on your local fuel pump.

E.g. since Europe only uses RON, a Euro 96 octane is roughly the same as a U.S. 92 octane.
Yes, I should have been clearer. Octane levels and octane level rating are the only differences. I am sure that you guys in Spain don't have the exact same levels as us in Sweden.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:32 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Thats why you have your FQS (Fuel Quality Switch) on the DME
Most chip tuners set up so that the higher settings on FQS are for Euro Spec Goats **** (Gassoline)
Old 02-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tommo951
Thats why you have your FQS (Fuel Quality Switch) on the DME
Most chip tuners set up so that the higher settings on FQS are for Euro Spec Goats **** (Gassoline)
Tommo, I read your post but didn't understand what you meant. What am I supposed to do with the Fuel Quality Switch if I fit a chip mapped by a U.S. tuner?
Old 02-03-2005, 02:54 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Luis, tommo951 implies hat you don't have anything to do with the FQS as the chips will come with the already appropriate set up. That's also what Anders says.
Don't beat about the bush and buy the basic Guru Racing chipset
Old 02-03-2005, 04:23 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom
Don't beat about the bush and buy the basic Guru Racing chipset
I've had this car 4 years and no mods yet. Let me have a little fun checking out my options. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2005, 10:07 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Luis, then why are you aksing us if you want to check out your options. We are trying to save you time, money and effort.

A. GURU and Vitesse have the best chips
B. Tell them you are in Spain and as said above, they will adjust your chips in about 10 seconds.

C. Done
Old 02-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toddk911
Luis, then why are you aksing us if you want to check out your options. We are trying to save you time, money and effort.

A. GURU and Vitesse have the best chips
B. Tell them you are in Spain and as said above, they will adjust your chips in about 10 seconds.

C. Done
I'd like to know if anyone has used the FVD chips. What's wrong with that?

You haven't. Well, that's fine. I'm looking at 5 different vendors for chips, and FVD is one of them.

If you don't like the thread, don't read it and don't bother to post.

I see countless threads here about turbos and mappings and 1001 combinations and nobody complains about that. Sorry you are annoyed!
Old 02-03-2005, 10:16 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I appolgize if I sound annoyed. It's just that you are asking for help and informaiton, and we are trying to give that to you and you are just dissmissing it.

Why don't you get the FVD chips and tell us how they perform.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toddk911
I appolgize if I sound annoyed. It's just that you are asking for help and information, and we are trying to give that to you and you are just dissmissing it.

Why don't you get the FVD chips and tell us how they perform.
Not dismissing the information at all, but this thread is about the FVD chips, not Guru or Vitesse or Lindsey Racing. As you can imagine, I've already done some reading on those with the search function.

From the 100s of people who frequent this forum, there's a chance (slim, but still a chance) that someone will know of or have tried these chips. That's why I posted this thread.

I'd like to find out more about them, as I believe FVD is a respectable German tuner. If you think your chips are good enough, that's great. I'd just like an opinion on these Euro-brewed chips because I have a Euro-based car. Does that make any sense?
Old 02-03-2005, 11:06 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I believe FVD is a respectable German tuner
FWIW I drove a 968 with the FVD chipset and it was working much less well than with the original DME. Not to mention the FVD chipset is more expensive than whichever chipset I can think of.

Anyway, like Luis I would also like to know if the FVD 951 set up is worth its price.

Quick Reply: FVD Brombacher 944 Turbo chips - Anyone tried them?