Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Whats the biggest speaker you can fit here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 02:53 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Whats the biggest speaker you can fit here?

I just whiped this panel off, I want to add some new speakers. What are the best for base? Some 6.5's one way? I would prefer not to fab up some more brackets but it may be necessary. I know there is information in history about this, but much of it contradicts other's findings so just people who have done it advise please!

Also, I have just bought some 968 rear panels so that may help with the fitment options, I am not sure though as I have not seen ttem yet. Cheers!

Andrew.

Post Script: Pics of the installed speakers would be nice! Robby? You hanging around?
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2005, 04:51 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andrew,

What did you have to do to remove the panels? Did you tear them up while pulling them out? If not I'd really like to know exactly what you did. I have to start on this tomorrow, and I would love to do this without removing the window. Thanks, E
Old 01-30-2005, 05:16 AM
NZ951
Race Director

ehall,

I just undid all the screws and bolts holding the seat belts on and the seat belt trim on the panel itself. Took the door seal trim off and the boot covering the rear seat catch, then worked the panel off slowly. There are several sections where the panel is glued to another which I believe is where most people tear the material. Notably those areas are just below the upper seat belt bolt on the pillar. And the top left section of the window. In terms of not taking the window out, its easy really, you just have to lift the window seal and slowly peel the material off the metal panel. You may want to use a flat head screw driver to lift the window seal while pulling, and at times use a blunt knife to break the seal on any tricky sticky areas. Now, getting the panel back in will be the interesting part in terms of maintaining a consistent fit. I may remove the window then just to get that fit if I find I cant otherwise. Does that make sense or would you like some pics tomorrow? Cant right now its 10pm.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:34 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try this way. BTW I've heard both 6.5 and 6.75 for diameter. I'm not sure which. I'm trying to figure out what the PO installed and deleted, in terms of audio, and it's corresponding wiring, so I have a ling day coming. Next weekend I'm replacing the dash and console, so I'll let you know what I find out about this speaker job as I go along. Good luck. E
Old 01-30-2005, 05:35 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh, pics would be great, but I think I know what you mean from the description. They might really help the next guy though. E
Old 01-30-2005, 10:16 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andrew-

I have some 6.5s that I am planning to put back there. Nothing a sawzall and some sheet metal screws cant handle.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:50 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

As for removing those panels- SOME cars WILL require the removal of the window- my car is one of them, so, I never pulled mine all the way out. PITFA! Some cars had more glue, &, some cars glue has dried out, etc, so that the panels are easier to pull, etc...

NZ the Turbo S & later cars w/M490 stereo option DEFINATELY came w/6.5 seperates. Having the 968 rear panels will not really help- they may LOOK better, but, all your fitment issues are on the inside. ONE thing the panels MIGHT help is to give a place for a small tweeter, BUT, you have plenty of room in the metal for that if you want....

Anyway, you will have to cut some metal- a 6X8 is possible- not sure about a 6X9, but, probably... The later cars had the same cut-out you have, only, they bored it out near the lower end, so, that it looks more like an "L" shape or something. THEN, they added a little metal adapter piece to the outer edge of the 6.5 to fill up the extended edge where the 4x6 end opening was. You DEFINATELY want to go to at least 6.5. I, personally, would go w/5.25 seperates up front, & 6.5's in rear, either seperates or coaxes. The bass question is tough to answer- normally, bigger is better, but, I would look through various catalogs & sites & find the lowest range avaiable. It is generally accepted that round speakers sound better. Larger speakers will need more power- bass especially. I'm trying to run a 6.5" coax in the rear & a 6X8 seperate up front off of an ADS PQ10 amp that only puts out ~45w/chan. I'm about to rip the damn 6x8s out & find a really nice 5.25" seperate- I'm over it- the doors of these cars just SUCK for mounting decent sized speakers. EVERYTHING about the doors works against the stereo...

Anyway, something else I've learned. If you're only running one amp w/out much overall power, you will want to pick your speakers wisely. You need to find speakers that will give more output on little amounts of power. The MBQ's seem to be good for this IMO. The stock speakers are by far the most efficient- this is why the Turbo S sounds pretty good stock. Changing the speakers only, leaves you w/too little power for them, &, changing the HU can overpower the stock speakers, so, you really need to change it all...

If you want to buy some Infinity 6800CS 6X8 components, let me know.... They would fit in the rear w/some cutting.... This will not be too hard though. What you can do is start at one end & use one, or more, of the factory screw holes for the 4x6 & then round out the hole. Then, you would want to cut a piece of thin, strong wood to cover the hole entirely & then cut out the shape of the speaker in that piece of wood. You would mount the speaker to the wood & then mount the wood to the panel to cover the hole & be done w/it... The metal area & the depth, etc, provides a decent enclosure- my rears give more bass than my 6x8 fronts....

Anyway, sorry this got so long... I hope I was of some help. If you need anything else, just get in touch- you can e-mail, me, PM me, whatever... I DO have some decent pics BTW, if that will help...

Robby

Last edited by Robby; 01-31-2005 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:20 PM
NZ951
Race Director

I was hoping it would not be a mar and peace novel! lol thanks a lot Robby... I think 6x8 may be the choice. Had you considered 6x8 Joe? If so why the 6.5's over them?
Old 01-31-2005, 12:34 AM
biggles
Pro

See write up on Clarks-garage.com. It claims you can do it with or without removing the quarter window and can add larger speakers by removing the brackets. Will be tackling mine soon.
biggles
Old 01-31-2005, 12:40 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Add larger speakers by removing what brackets?

Anyways, I have decided on some 6.5 Infiniti 6000CS speakers. Should be good.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:17 AM
biggles
Pro

My error on the bracket comment - Searched so many posts last night on this question, because I had bought some 6.5" speakers and an amp earlier in the day and plan to install them myself. The bracket might have been related to 911's.
biggles
Old 01-31-2005, 01:31 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Cool
Old 01-31-2005, 01:32 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Well Andrew I didn't think about 6x8s. Now I am though. Tomorrow I will measure the panel on my parts car to see if it would be feasible.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:35 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Hey Joe, 6x8 does fit, I did the measure today... I am not sure I want 6x8 though... I like the idea of a round 6.5 in the rear. Infiniti make soe nice 6.5 component sets. Either way, there is a lot of cutting to be done! Any idea on the best MDF thickness for that spot?
Old 01-31-2005, 02:00 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

A 6x8 is going to give you more in the low range though, which is really where we're lacking, if you don't run a sub. If it will fit I will definitely go with 6x8s in the back, and 6.5s up front.

Quick Reply: Whats the biggest speaker you can fit here?