Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Whats the biggest speaker you can fit here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 02:03 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont think I will go for a sub, The only one I would go for is the KLA one, as its discreet, but WAY too expensive for me. I think Robby looked at the 6x8 at one point. He is the speaker guru really, thats why I asked him here!
Old 01-31-2005, 05:50 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the compliment NZ, but, I wouldn't call me a speaker guru... I'm just dumb enough to have tried what everyone else already knew would NOT work...

I installed 6x8 components (Infinity 6800CS) in the front doors underneath the armrests (where Turbo S speakers were). MY GOAL was to get as much bass as possible w/out using subs or extra amps, etc- I wanted a simple, powerful system emphasizing SQ... Unfortunately, while I DO have the 6x8's in there right now, they never really panned out & I worked my *** off trying to get them in. But, they aren't giving me the sound I want for 2 reasons: 1st, I don't have enough power to run such big speakers- my ADS PQ10 4-ch puts out ~45w- most tell me it's a conservative #, but... 2nd, there isn't enough enclosure area for such large speakers for decent bass.... The 6.5 Infinity Kappa coaxes in the rear put out more bass. They ALSO have slightly better low end range #'s too, despite their smaller size. Many claim that rounds are better inch per inch & this may have something to do w/it...

IF I had an earlier car AND had the rear panels off, like YOU, I would do some cutting & possibly go w/larger speakers. BUT, since my metal was already factory-cut for 6.5's, AND, I couldn't remove the panels w/out pulling the 1/4 windows too, it was a no-brainer....

NZ- I used a standard 1/2" thick board- NOT MDF- based on what I'VE seen, MDF is not any better for sound & is MUCH heavier...

I'll sell you my 6800CS Infinity 6x8 components- you should be able to pick them up NEW for ~$130 including S&H...

Oval components are pretty rare for some reason.... I'm going to switch them out to 5.25 components soley due to fitment issues. I just wish this car were simple, like my '89 Integra- just four 6.5's.... In all honesty, I don't think you'll gain a whole lot going to 6x8 or even 6x9 in the rear- some, but, not much. I think your first priority is to focus more on quality & maximize what you do get, BUT, since your panels are OUT, & you'll have to cut anyway, you MIGHT want to maximize SIZE too. The HU is a big piece here- IF I were buying another new HU, I think I would get one of the higher end Alpine Moffsets- 60W/4 peak. I heard ONE pair of MBQ 6.5 component's run by one Alpine- NO AMP- EXTREMELY STRONG & BASSY... I was VERY impressed, but, had already bought my Kenwood- this WAS in stereo store, so, this could have helped tremendously, as opposed to being inside an actual car, plus, their prices were about DOUBLE what I see online... Anyway, if running an amp, HU power isn't as important... I'm still toying w/the idea of bridging- if I could bridge all 4-ch of my HU to run the fronts, &, bridge all 4-ch my amp to run my rears....? BUT, some have told me I could NOT bridge my HU channels, although some have told me I can...(?) Either way, many Are telling me that 45w is not enough to run NEITHER the 6.5 Kappas OR 6x8 References.... The fuct is, this amp is very small for a 4-ch & I like it. I'm hoping that I can get some more efficient 5.25's so that they wont NEED as much power as the 6X8's & might get more sound that way.... not sure.... Yes, I've had it- I've lost my mind entirely!!!! There is NO free lunch in this car when it comes to stereos.... I've got 10-times the system in my Porsche as in my '89 Integra & it doesn't kick as hard.... go fu**ing figure....

Well, there ya go.... War & Peace, Vol 2.....

Unfortunately, there is an encyclopedia's worth of info to this issue & the answers aren't as cut & dry as they could be- another point is that some people who claim their stereos sound great, are full of it....

Walt SPector has a good write up on the 924/944/968 stereo systems- it's Kevin Gross's FAQ... I'll go find the link & post it back in a new (shorter) reply.... It gives a ton of background info on the factory stuff- it might not help you too much NZ, but, is worth looking over. ONE thing he DOES mention, that I don't fully understand is, have a certain frequency range that needs to be tuned for optimum SQ- he's used test tapes (to check stereo sound) to figure this out, etc....

IIWY, NZ, I would first decide whether or not I wanted components or coaxes in back. You can cut the total area out larger, giving enough room to mount a tweeter in front of the driver. The wood you will be using would basically become an adapter plate. You will want to look through every 6.5" speaker of larger, w/in your price range, & find one w/the lowest frequency that is also the most efficient (ie- runs on less power- this assuming you aren't running an amp). You will mostly find frequencies >50HZ & occasional sub 40's. Anything below ~45HZ will be great...
Old 01-31-2005, 05:52 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

http://reality.sgiweb.org/wws/stereo...cch2_945396478

this is the FAQ I was talking about......
Old 01-31-2005, 07:32 PM
NZ951
Race Director

What did I tell you about writing novels! You can help yourself! I am going with some 6.5 Infiniti 6000CS speakers in the rear. They are 90 watts RMS which is plenty and I will mount the tweeter as close to the front as possible. I will be back to talk about the 5.25's under the armrest later!
Old 01-31-2005, 09:12 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BoostGuy951
A 6x8 is going to give you more in the low range though, which is really where we're lacking, if you don't run a sub. If it will fit I will definitely go with 6x8s in the back, and 6.5s up front.

What kind of 6.5's would you try to mount up front? I've looked at all kinds & mounting anything larger than a 4X6 is damn near impossible- at leaast w/a smaller 5.25, you can get components & the 5.25's generally seem to be better quality IMO.... I WISH I could get a decent 6.5 up there...
Old 01-31-2005, 09:18 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

NZ- you never said what kind of amp you were using.....? If no amp, what kind of HU...? Also, what are you paying for the Infinity 6.5's? I'd sell my 6X8 6800CS components for under $80 including S&H.... they normally go for ~$120 + S&H.... They are 270W peak, 90W RMS, & their range is 49Hz - 21kHz..... they just need a lot more power than I can give them w/the amp I have & the front location does not provide enough room... I think the rear would, however, &, IF you're running a good strong amp, you could use them. Of course, if you're NOT running a strong amp, then, you aren't going to be able to run the 6.5 Infinity's either....
Old 01-31-2005, 11:43 PM
NZ951
Race Director

I am using a JVC HU. Puts out 4x50 but I got it mailny as it plays MP3's which was not common when I got it. I will be upgrading later. Once I install my fronts and the 5.25 in the underdoor pocket I will get an amp. SO I am buying them in the expectation of the future happening.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:44 PM
NZ951
Race Director

PS has anyone made speaker pods for the front before???
Old 02-01-2005, 09:13 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've never heard of anyone making speaker pods for this car, but, if you find any, let me know- I'd be interested in seeing them.....
Old 02-01-2005, 09:38 AM
serial_modder
Intermediate

may be a little OT compared to what your looking for, but i had a nice system in my 944 a few years ago, until some thieving b*****d stole it....

Old 02-02-2005, 05:49 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Well here is some very good news... I got the panels and speakers... and! Look at the speaker, it has a panel built into the speaker to cover the old 4X6 hole! I never knew it did that, so I can just cut the metal now and replace the speaker with a better one No heavy wood!
Attached Images   
Old 02-02-2005, 09:07 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Andrew ... I did put Alpine SPS-4629P 4" x 6" plate speakers up front. Sound is great and the Alpine head unit puts out more current. I am lucky as a friend of mine owns a stero shop that specialized in Auto systems. Look at the specs on the H.U. and see what the minimum O/P power is!
Old 02-02-2005, 09:16 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Its an entry level JVC and actually says 4X45W on the face plate (checked today). I will be getting one of the new Pioneer head units soon, but will need an AMP to power some of the 10 speakers I will be running.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:17 PM
NZ951
Race Director

PS if anyone is interested, I got the panels and speakers for under USD100 delivered
Old 02-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ951
Its an entry level JVC and actually says 4X45W on the face plate (checked today). I will be getting one of the new Pioneer head units soon, but will need an AMP to power some of the 10 speakers I will be running.
Andrew ... that is MAXIMUM O/P power .... you need to look at MINIMUM O/P power. The 45W units put out an avarage of 14 to 17 watts. Get a unit that puts out over 20 watts MINIMUM power ... they usually are a heavier weight.

Quick Reply: Whats the biggest speaker you can fit here?