Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Whats the biggest speaker you can fit here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 04:31 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

They are components... will be mounting them tomorrow. I am about to go install the Tech Edge WB.

Yes I got the plastic speaker frame as well, and the cover with grill etc. I got the panels for not much money

I got the panels (rear with speakers) from a local dismantler Not new, off a 95 968 I believe.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:42 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ951
They are components... will be mounting them tomorrow. I am about to go install the Tech Edge WB.

Yes I got the plastic speaker frame as well, and the cover with grill etc. I got the panels for not much money

I got the panels (rear with speakers) from a local dismantler Not new, off a 95 968 I believe.
Yeah, wen it comes to those things from 968's, used is the only way to go- all the stuff that I got, that i listed above, would have cost ~$3000 new...

IF the dismatler sold you the rear speakers w/those panels, are those the ones you showed the pic of? They should have a little amp-like thing connected to them? like the pic I sent.... ???
Old 02-04-2005, 04:47 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Hmmm no amp like thing connected... sorry.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:23 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ya see what I mean...? They change crap ALL THE TIME! Maybe that was just in 95....? oh well.... It should look like that little thing that hangs off the speaker- you can see it in the pic I sent... It almost looks like a larger X-over- the regular M490's had a smaller X-over in the back of the speaker, but, it's covered, I beleieve, by the plastic backing. Oh well... doesn't really matter- you're not going to use the factory speakers anyway, &, no matter how good the 968 speakers eventually got, or, how many years they came on, your Infinity's SHOULD be at least a little better anyway- more like a lot, unless you aren't using an amp, in which case, the 968's would be better... But, you ARE going to run them from an amp (eventually), so.... It sounds like you're on the right track. I'm hoping to have some $ together soon to buy some MBQ 5.25 components soon- I'm thinking I'm going to remove the fronts altogether & bridge my amp to run just the rears- see how that sounds- I'm being told by some audio-gurus that I will be amazed by the dif.... we'll see.... ;-)
Old 02-05-2005, 01:47 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

I told ya Robbie
regards
Ed
Old 02-05-2005, 04:04 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Ok here are some pics. The low to mid range is MUCH better. The 968 panels are not an exact fit, there are a few things different such as a few screw hole placements.
Attached Images      
Old 02-05-2005, 07:45 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Andrew- I see what you did w/the rear speaker now. But, did it seal well? I'm wondering how, since the shape of the metal was indented for the square outer edge shape of the factory speaker. That's why I made a wooden adapter panel- I traced out the shape of the factory speaker w/the extra piece that covers the 4X6 section, & then cut the wood out- then, placed the new round 6.5 in the middle & cut it out of the middle- drilled out all the holes for hardware- then, screwed the new speaker into it & was done... I think I sent you a pic of a similar adapter that I took off Walt Spectors write-up on the 924/944/968 stereo FAQ, only that one appears to be metal. Anyway, I covered it w/Dyna Mat & had a foam cut-out the shape of the adapter- I mounted it b/t the wood & metal- this whole thing was sealed in perfectly. Your's looks great- just hoping it was esaled- looks like you sealed the tweeter in well- what exactly is that black stuff? Is it some type of bondo? I klnow nothing about that type of stuff.... BTW- the 968 panels look brand new...
Old 02-05-2005, 03:43 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Robby.

The 4x6 cover plate has a thick foam on the back, also the Infiniti speakers come with an adhesive foam tape to put around the outer rim. So once all that was applied, it sealed very well. As for the speaker fitment, the old stock ones were too big because of the edges being too square. The new speakers with rounded edges were a great fit! The black stuff is a kind Polyurethane product you get in one of those gun aplicators. It takes 12 hours to cure but seals permanetly and flexible. Just dont get any one your fingers! It was a product my mate uses at the car audio shop he owns. The 968 panels look great in the car, updates the look, but you need to drill more holes!
Old 02-06-2005, 03:25 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Andrew- that sounds great... As for the square stock 6.5's not fitting right, that's interesting- the round ones would not fit my car as they had embedded a squared edge around in certain areas- they must have done that for the later cars only, as they were the only ones they expected to put 6.5's in anyway- now if they would only tell us WTF they used a SQUARE 6.5!? That's the ONLY one I've EVER SEEN... And trust, me, I looked EVERYWHERE!

Yes, the 968 panels are MUCH nicer- I was just trying to find the 968 door pockets to update the look,. found out that JUSt the pockets were $300ea- found the pair of panels w/pockets & ****ty version of M490 speakers & I jumped on it- I only had to drill ONE hole though, on each side of the car & that was for the extra screw that mounts the top edge of the front map pocket, since it is raised above the 944/951's. If you had to drill more holes that that, then, there must be differences b/t 951 & 951S panel mounting holes... I DO know several people here who have mounted 968 panels on even early 944s & never heard they had to drill extra holes, but, they very likely may have just never said... makes me wonder- Ive told several people here that the panels fit perfctly (Except for the top map pocket screw) & now I wonder if I've been dog-cussed for that....

Quick Reply: Whats the biggest speaker you can fit here?