Some news on Racer's Edge new control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 08:58 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some news on Racer's Edge new control Arms

Here's a bit of background first. I had originally contacted Karl, at Racer's Edge about Leda struts and shocks. I got some good info, but went with a fellow Rennlister, 944Enhancement, as my vendor. Because Karl did a nice job giving me info, I thought he desereved a thank you, and an explanation in regards to my decision. At that time I also asked for more info on the new front control arms that have just been offered by Racer's Edge. At some point I'd like to make a control arm upgrade, and there aren't many upgrade choices out there. Anyway, he emailed me back, on a Saturday no less, already knowing that he wasn't making a sale on the Leda's, and he did so in about 10 minutes. That's pretty good service in my book. Upon receiving the info, I asked if he would mind if I shared the info with you guys here on the list. He said he didn't mind, and since Racer's Edge is a site sponsor, I don't think I'm breaking any rules posting this. I wrote all of this for a couple of reasons.
1. I wasn't asked too, I just thought it would be good info for those interested.
2. Racer's Edge has a really good rep in our community, so I think this is probably a product of a good level of quality.
3. I couldn't find anywhere with pricing for these arms.
4. I have heard a rumor that Charley Arms are either not being made, or not being made in very large quantities. I don't know, but if true, someone may need an alternative before race season really kicks off.
5. Lastly new cool stuff is fun to drool over!

So, here's what Karl wrote to me about the arms.

"The Charlie arms are a good product. I believe my design may have a couple benefits. Our pin design that goes into the spindle is a threaded 19mm pin so it actually screws into the spindle and then is locked in place with the factory retaining bolt. This then allows us to put a spacer sleeve over the pin and then put the A-arm/bearing assembly in place. When you then put the nut on the bottom of the stud, under the a-arm bearing, you torque the bottom nut and this puts the "pin" in tension, and the sleeve in compression. In this way you are preloading the design significantly, like a wheel stud, and this stored energy makes the joint very strong. This type of pin design then lets us run longer pins (when the car is not worried about stock class rules) which gets the arm back down on lowered cars to correct roll center. Also, my arm is designed to make sure that all of the 4 fixed points in 3-D space (Front pick up, rear pick up, outer ball joint, and sway bar mount) are in the same location as the factory arm. Some of the other aftermarket arms I have seen this is not true of. The front pickup will come with a spherical bearing in place and the rear mount will use the factory caster block.

The arm itself is a rectangular steel tube frame design with some thin gauge flat plates on the outer part of the arm for added strength. The arm has been analyzed using a computerized finite element analysis module. The price per set is $1595."

If anyone has any questions, oobviously they should be referred to Racer's Edge, not me. I can't help you. I just wanted to try and get some new info out for the boards general consideration. E
Old 01-29-2005, 09:37 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

ehall:

Thank you very much for the info. For I am currently looking into the new ones now. And the only info I have is what Paragon posted and the small blurb by Racers Edge too. Thanks a lot pal!

Old 01-29-2005, 09:58 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah....I do believe the first set that Paragon gets are spoken for, it's tough having a partner in a race car just down the street from them.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:02 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Gee Ski, you had to bust my bubble! I was hoping to maybe call and inquire. Some pal you are!

Old 01-29-2005, 10:35 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

No problem. They make good stuff. If I weren't buying the new Leda's, and doing some other since I'm there stuff, I'd be buying these now. Cheers
Old 01-29-2005, 10:53 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

ehall: Again, thanks for the info my friend.

Ski: Your're not my friend anymore! Shame on you!
Old 01-29-2005, 10:54 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

lol
Old 01-29-2005, 10:56 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

ehall:

Some pal Ski is! Yeah, life is real tough when his partner is right near them.

Gee wiz!!

Old 01-29-2005, 11:26 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the total amount of roll center correction available?
Old 01-30-2005, 01:01 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Anyone have any pictures of the arms?
Old 01-30-2005, 01:20 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Skip:

http://www.creelconsulting.com
Old 01-30-2005, 08:13 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just consider JAB Raicng the final test bed Rob But it is very nice having Jason and Chuck down the street. Jason, Chuck, and Jim are of course all part of the local PCA and they have lunch every Thursday together. After the building Jims car and the track car, we've actually been asked to do some engine work for a couple of people. Doing a full rebuild right now for local guy in Corpus and I've got a 951 to put on several LR items in the next couple of months.

Not sure when you're picking up the car Rob but we plan on being at Hallet the DE that's the last of April or the first of May. Then there are events at Memphis and Barber Motorsports, then the car will go back to Texas for the fall DEs at TWS.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:37 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DE

Ski
Are you talking about being at Hallett for the May Fast DE? If so I would like to look over your car. That will be my first event to shake down my new GT3 car pictured in the link below. I would enjoy seeing the porgress on your car.

Craig

http://www.pca.org/wic/Craig%20Voigt.htm
Old 01-30-2005, 05:05 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Thanks Rolex. I looking forward to seeing a production piece. Its good to see someone is coming out with a fresh design.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:31 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Craig, yes we are 85% for being there. The only glitch is that I fly in that afternoon to Memphis. I hope to arrange a babysitter for the little one and let my wife stay in Tulsa - shop and relax a bit. We're headed to TWS on Feb 12-13 of next month.

Quick Reply: Some news on Racer's Edge new control Arms