Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cheap water injection source

http://www.coolingmist.com/

FYI
Old 01-05-2005, 10:44 PM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prices seem to be pretty reasonable...just wondering what the quality is like though?
Old 01-05-2005, 10:47 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Well, it looks like an air horn pump... so crap is probably the answer.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:10 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It actually appears to be a pretty standard ShurFlo pump with a Hobbs switch. Not bad, not great.

Check out Snow Performance. Their setup has a ShurFlo pump which is better than the Aquamist pumps and it uses quick disconnects and has a pretty slick controller. I don't know if it can be controlled by a standalone, but I don't think standalone WI control is that important.

http://www.snowperformance.net/

Talk to B951S, he uses their setup.

Max
Old 01-05-2005, 11:18 PM
NZ951
Race Director

I would prefer port injection really, but there are not that many kits out there, and I dont know of any off the shelf.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:39 AM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

I will be testing my port setup next week (or this weekend), as I told NZ951.

If there is enough interest I plan to do a small production run, although it will be a little expensive compared to the crappier single injector systems.

The features-
100 psi pump
4 correctly sized atomizing nozzles
aluminum water rail
controlled by an adjustable boost switch
pressure regulator referenced to map for equal flow rates at all pressures
solenoid for instantaneous shut off and no backwards flow
all hoses, clamps, and hardware
uses modified stock windshield washer tank
fits on an otherwise stock car

I will post more details and pics as they come.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

Check out Snow Performance. Their setup has a ShurFlo pump which is better than the Aquamist pumps and it uses quick disconnects and has a pretty slick controller. I don't know if it can be controlled by a standalone, but I don't think standalone WI control is that important.

Macnewma

How do you know they are beter than Aquamist's positive displacement pumps? they may be stonger at 150 psi than the 120 psi aquamist uses and yes they move more gph, but it's reliability and consistency I am after and Aquamist has been used in rally races for years now....not sure but I believe in europe the STi has it stock.....I use Aquamist and the pump is amazingly small... the only thing the a viton pump can do better is with a hight...over 50%...methanol mixture..
However I am open to your oppinions as why it's better..I would like to know....maybe I'll switch...
Old 01-06-2005, 04:07 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Dude, post pics of your install, I am keen to see your pump monting position.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

I know, my lazy butt is overdue for that, but also the install is not permanent...actually is off right now while I am diagnosing my engine stumble/cutout/hesitation when boost starts hitting...I am now to the TPS but it seems to be fine..It clicks at 1 degree of roll and seems like it's good...plus..the IC to TB pipe is the stock one and it's too thin and not sealing proper...does boostguy still make those pipes?
the setup is easy..I have no powersteering so I put the pump where the fluid tank was connected to the windshield washer thru the cap, hooked up to battery and coil and a vacuum source to the intake manifold....only thing is that I need to tap a new vacuum source in the intake Manifold for the Aquamist and Diveting Valve...I am swamped with things but I will hurry my butt up becouse I know pics describe things like nothing else.....
Old 01-06-2005, 06:18 PM
B951S
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Darius Juca

Macnewma

How do you know they are beter than Aquamist's positive displacement pumps? they may be stonger at 150 psi than the 120 psi aquamist uses and yes they move more gph, but it's reliability and consistency I am after and Aquamist has been used in rally races for years now....not sure but I believe in europe the STi has it stock.....I use Aquamist and the pump is amazingly small... the only thing the a viton pump can do better is with a hight...over 50%...methanol mixture..
However I am open to your oppinions as why it's better..I would like to know....maybe I'll switch...
Darius, I was told the STi team switched to Snow's kit. I remember something along the lines of the Aquamist pump having problems with seals holding up after long term exposure to methanol. Matt at Snow can tell you the story, but remember its coming from the guy who owns Snow so use your own judgement if you know what I mean.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:54 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

AAAAAAhh yes B951S man you are right about the Aquamist not tolerating more than 50/50 methanlo water mixture for many years but it is a better design for consistency from my research....for dragracing most use Snow...rally racers still use Aquamist...for now
Old 01-06-2005, 06:59 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wasn't aware of Subaru's WRC team switching to a Snow kit, but I had heard that they were using a Shurflo pump.

I am not an expert on pumps, but I do know that Aquamist even uses Shurflo pumps in some of their custom systems (coming from an Aquamist rep in the UK). When heavily taxed, their pump have reportedly failed. The Shurflo pumps have considerably more headroom and less complexity. The Aquamist should work fine, but I would take the overbuilt, rebuildable and cheaper Shurflo.

The rest of the Aquamist stuff is great. Their nozzles, controllers and monitors are hard to beat.

With that said, I think the simplicity of Snow's setup, unbeatable headroom, and its superb reputation are tough to beat. If you want port injection, then you are looking at a custom setup either way.

What exactly are the advantages of port injection by the way?

Max
Old 01-06-2005, 07:11 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"What exactly are the advantages of port injection by the way?"

You have 4 individual nozzles injecting directly into the chamber, not just 1 injector in the airflow beofre the intake.

Much better and more effecient, but much more of a task for the kit and to install.

Auquamist, excpet for thier nozzles, is only been so highly regarded becuse

A. For the longest time they are about the only company that had a complete bolt on kit.
B. They offered actually injection "mapping" to control the amount of the water injection. i.e. not jsut at X amount of boost a bunch of water gets sprayed in, it was like controling the duty cycle of the injector.

Really, a water injection kit is the pump, the nozzle and the solinoid. Everything else is bells and whistles.

Is the ability to fine tune the injection better?? Of course. Is direct port injection better??? Of course.

But when it comes down to effert and cost, jsut have to figure out what is more important to your needs and wallet.

Just my .02 and a BUNCH of research about water/alch/meth injection
Old 01-06-2005, 07:14 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Oh and with a good nozzle, 60psi is plenty to get proper atomization of the injection.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:18 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Lets hope Mark develops that port injection kit soon! Should be a great alternative all going well.

Quick Reply: Cheap water injection source