Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951/S2 Fog & driving light LENS

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 03:17 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question 951/S2 Fog & driving light LENS

Questions about the blanked-out driving light LENS: There has been a lot posted about installing a European driving/fog light kit as a whole, but what about using our stock lens?

Is the LENS that covers the blanked-out & empty side of the 951/S2 light assembly the same lens as the European models have?

In other words, even though our cars have no driving light reflector, bulb, or wiring, is our LENS the same as the European model?

And, has anybody had decent results by installing aftermarket reflector/bulb/wiring into the blanked out side and shining through its stock lens?
Old 12-13-2004, 03:35 PM
RPG951S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lens is the same, it's the stuff behind it that is different.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:21 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

That's very good news, because it means that an aftermarket bulb/reflector/wiring/relay could very easily and inexpensively be installed. Has anybody done this? Results?
Old 12-13-2004, 06:41 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like this?
http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...07.022.kit.htm
Old 12-13-2004, 07:37 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Question

No, that's not what I had in mind: Since we already have the lens and only need reflector/bulb/wiring, it's ludicrous to pay that sort of price.

Hence my question about those who've used aftermarket parts to enhance the stock setup.

For example, I just bought a pair of driving lights for my BMW motorcycle. The kit comes with two 85 watt lights, housings, lenses, wiring, switch, etc. (the whole enchilada) and have a 23 YEAR warranty on everything, including bulbs. Seems to me, the reflectors from similar 12v lights could easily be fit into our stock 951/S2 setup, by fabricating a simple mounting clip to hold the new reflector behind the stock lens. For this application, a pair of ~2.5" X ~5" reflectors would be needed.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-13-2004, 09:25 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/146491-pics-of-my-custom-projector-driving-lights.html
Old 12-13-2004, 09:33 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the correct parts it can be done. I'd say the only practical way to do it would be get the internal fixings off the Bosch european lens assembly that has a cracked face. Otherwise it is going to take so much screwing around on a set of lenses that probably already have road rash to the driving face (think poor driving light reach) to save $250 for a new pair that you better be spending most of your time in jail with nothing better to do to pass the day away.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:30 AM
nize
Banned

why doesn't someone sell the 'correct parts' so that you don't have to buy the whole damn euro light assembly? i'm sure a 'conversion kit' would sell like hotcakes for around $100 a set.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

My point exactly. That's why I'm considering installation of the 85 watt driving lights that I'd intended for my motorcycle. The reflectors in these things would prolly fit behind the stock 951/S2 lenses, and the stock blank that's in there now could be used as a mounting plate. BTW, the 85 watt driving lights that I'm buying have a 23 year warranty, including bulbs. On sale for $40, including tax and shipping. We'll see.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:11 PM
nize
Banned

cool, let us know how it works out. and post pics!
Old 12-14-2004, 09:22 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think Iceshark is on the money with this. Unless you have near perfect lenses, and can get a cheap second set that still has good reflectors, your money would be better spent on the euro setup that's already being marketed. Problems you'll run into. Cheap set of lights to pirate the reflectors from, probably have cracked lenses. Since the lenses are cracked, the reflectors have been exposed to the elements, and may be junk as well. The set with good lenses need to be drilled to accommodate the reflector aiming screws. The clips that hold and aim the reflector could be broken (all 4 of mine were when I bought my car), this will leave you without a way to easily aim the reflector. Also there is the possibility that the clips for holding the fog reflector are different from the ones used on the driving reflector. I think they are mirror images of eachother, I haven't had a euro setup infront of me in a while, so I could be wrong there.

My car has the euro setup that was added by the p.o., using factory reflectors JB welded into in a US light housing. The amont of work and money that it would take to polish the stone chips off the lenses, and source the adjusting clips. Just to have glass that will still have pits, and reflectors that have 50% of their reflective coating left, doesn't seem worth it. And yes I am a big do it your selfer.

These are just some things to take into consideration.
YMMV
Old 12-14-2004, 10:17 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy some of the clear stoneguard to protect your lenses. They're vulnerable because
they're so low.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:04 PM
nize
Banned

here's a site with some wiring diagrams;
http://www.instant-g.com/Products/Eurofog/

Quick Reply: 951/S2 Fog & driving light LENS