Lindsey Racing sets the bar.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 04:49 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lindsey Racing sets the bar.

Well as most of you I am sure know. I am having some work finally done on my car to have her running again. I called dave at lindsey because he is the first person I think of when doing anything to the 951 and asked him all kinds of question's. He was very informative and helpful as usual and I told him if I decided to do this it would be another 3-3.5 weeks. I called him on wed of last week just to tell him that because of money and timing(I wanted the car back asap) that I was going to source it here and not send anything to him.

You see folks I had 4 bent intake valves and worn guides. I needed a machine shop that could take this and do good work. Well my contact feel out from under me and I was left with two optinions. Source the labor localy myself or send it off to dave even though I just told him we werent doing anything to it.

I call dave back up and he was very nice and worked with me on price since he knew I was on a budget. He also knew I was in a serious rush and told me he would have the head done in 1-2 days tops. Fine done.

I shipped the head out on wednesday night with dave's instructions to call on fri afternoon to confirm shipment. I then call him up fri just expecting to hear the head got there okay and everything should be ready for shipment on monday or tuesday(which would have been 2-2.5 days from when they recieved it)

Instead to my surprise dave tells me they not only got the head but, its done and they are packaging up my shipment as we speak! Holy shiet I was shocked at how fast he got the work done. He knew I needed it asap and man did he ever deliver. Dave has always been a pleasure to talk to and has always had great customer service but, I felt this was just nuts. I have never hered of a head being done in 24hrs. The head is already at perry's and he inspected the workmanship over and its top quality(his words).

My car will be together and boosting 18psi on wed and I will film it just like I film everything. Look for a new thread from me in a couple of days with some video footage of the car. I am also interested to hear what this new lindsey billet bov will sound like under hard shifting and higher boost level's(remember I am the rennlist ricer....got to have the cool sound)

Anyways I felt compelled to share this story because we all know great customer service is hard to come by. Dave didn't charge me near what he could have and I got the head back in better than new condition so quickly and promptly even I was a little shocked.

Lindsey racing ****ing rules my thanks go out to everyone there. I know I have preached lindsey racing many times.....but, stuff like this just backs it up. Lindsey has a customer for life.

on a side note I have a scheduled dyno run at 3p.m. wed afternoon. Ofcourse I was going to video tape it and post it with the other footage in the new thread but, I read something that makes alot of sense and I thought I would ask a question to all who have had expeirence with dyno's and their 951's.

I am only getting charged 35bucks for 3 pulls with air/fuel. This is a steal of a deal I know but, how can I find out if their wideband sensor is proper. I really dont care too much about the numbers themselves because I just want a baseline before the turbo upgrade....I do however very much care about the validity of the air/fuel readings and I need them to be spot on.

What should I look for in their equipment to make sure I dont get a false air/fuel read that another member has gotten? Are their certain sensors that are better than others? What are the most common? And lastly how do I correct the numbers (SAE?) that I see so many of you do.

I think its a 248c dyno either that or a mustang but, I am not sure. I will find out on wednesday. I just dont want to waste my time or my money on false readings. Any help or imput you guys could give me would be great.

P.S. enjoy the coming pics.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:54 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome story! That is amazing. Good to hear you will haver her back soon!
Old 12-07-2004, 09:09 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

N E E D TO S E E VIDEO!!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 10:19 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Sweet, evo bov!! Sounds great!!! Can't wait to see some more videos.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:33 AM
alexands
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave is a great guy. On the otherhand, his operations guy, Wes, has caused me some inconvenieces(he's "forgotten" to send me stuff before. One of his mishaps caused me to have to remove my oilpan). Even with that, I still am a huge fan of Dave and Mike and plan to spend money with them for suspension and hard parts. Prolly go with Vittesse for turbo stuff, though.

Lindsey rocks!
Old 12-07-2004, 11:06 AM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

make sure you have a bung hole (uh huh huh) to put the wideband o2 sensor in. the dyno operator should be able to give you an SAE corrected graph.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:09 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

How did you bend your valves?
Old 12-07-2004, 02:23 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am jealous of your experiences with Lindsey Racing, I wish I had the same!
Old 12-07-2004, 03:43 PM
amr
Track Day

John,

Great story and nice to see that you took the time to say good things about a vendor... it's always refreshing when you hear good stories instead of nightmares!

Anyway, I have been out of sinc for a while and thought I'd jump on the forum and see what's happening... then I came accross your story and thought I'd say hey.

Hit me up when you get a chance. Good luck with everything.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

LET ME KNOW how that by-pass valve is I am very interested in buying one of those
Old 12-07-2004, 04:46 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by evil 944t
How did you bend your valves?

Well we had just done my HG upgrade and the car was running like crap. I sourced all my vacum leaks one by freggin one(PITA) slowly my mercury readings were more normal the car was running very strong at 16psi and everything looked good.

Fast forward 24hrs. I was boosting hard and hered a loud pop backfire(louder than normal...I mean this thing sounded like a gun shot) and the car started to struggle to breathe and died. Ofcourse I instantly thing is gas related or spark related. I am in the rain and can't work on the car on the street. I called a flatbed and had it towed home. After removing the cam tower,belt assembly ect, I realized it was just my firing pin. It had come loose! I was so excited because I was really worried it was something that was going to cost more money. I put everything back on(in a rush of excitment) and forgot to tighten the two bolts on the pulleys that hold the belts down solid. The belts were on tight but, not nearly tight enough....cranked the car and boom! Bad bad sound. Checked the timming it had jumped 40 DEGREES! we were pulzed because the engine was at TDC the hole time...after several days of checking one thing after the other(you guys remember that thread I posted) we did and compression test and it was bad. We then looked at the belt assembly checked the bolts and wah la! bingo. I was so pissed it was so stupid.

Black glad to hear you are liking your evo bov. Can you tell me what it sounds like with your maf at WOT? What kind of boost level's are you running. I run anywhere from 18-20psi depending on the day. Any imput on the bov would be great..I hered many great things about it and since dave had one new in the box he could ship along with my new belts and head....why the hell not I said.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:48 PM
Dave E
Pro

I have to concur with praises of Dave Lindsey, I have always been treated well by him, He recently sent me a new fuel rail mounted pressure gauge when I told him mine had become inaccurate after 2 years use. We were on the phone talking about tuning issues with the MAFterburner and I mentioned in passing the fuel gauge inaccuracy and he offered right away to send a new one, which I got in a few days. The only trouble I have had is with the fit of my Fabspeed three inch pipe from the turbo to the converter which interferes with the joint of the two piece crossover, but Dave couldn't have foreseen that and I don't fault him a bit for it.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:51 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by amr
John,

Great story and nice to see that you took the time to say good things about a vendor... it's always refreshing when you hear good stories instead of nightmares!

Anyway, I have been out of sinc for a while and thought I'd jump on the forum and see what's happening... then I came accross your story and thought I'd say hey.

Hit me up when you get a chance. Good luck with everything.

Hey Amr if you want to roll with us tomorrow you can. The dyno will be in the afternoon of which I know you will be at the office but, that night we are all going out to have some fun with her(run some friends car's and goof off, and eat some dinner)

If you want to join you are more than welcome to come along.

I will hit ya up tonight and see whats doin'

**EDIT**

BTW folks the head and intake manifold are back on the car. Should be gtg tomorrow morning.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:08 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey John, running 15 psi. Fool boost very similar to stock but a bit of a metalic noise. Still very quiet, during normal shifts just shhhhhhh. Not obnoxious, but WOT it does sound nice. Like I said just a bit different toned than stock. Boost does respond quicker and as said countless times the workmanship is excellent.

BTW, I have been talking to Lindsey the last few days and I must say again that they are awesome folks to deal with. By far the best vendor I have ever dealt with and I have dealt with many of them, mostly for my Corvair but, still just awesome customer service.

Quick Reply: Lindsey Racing sets the bar.