Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Spearco water injection kit... experiences anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 03:24 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spearco water injection kit... experiences anyone?

This will likely be my next mod (water injection), has anyone used the Spearco kit/s? It seems like a cheap alternative to Aquamist, but I am not sure about it... ideas?
Old 12-06-2004, 03:34 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im sorry NZ, but do you have a site that will explain what the system does exaclty? I have heard countless times you guys discuss it but I have searched and found nothing.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:10 AM
NZ951
Race Director

On water...

http://www.turbocalculator.com/water-injection.html

On Spearco...

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/kits.html (bottom of page)
Old 12-06-2004, 10:31 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$230 for that kit...........
Old 12-06-2004, 12:04 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NZ, you want to use your new Link setup to control the WI right? If so, you might want to talk to Vitesse. He has developed a kit to go along with his SMT6 setup. I would assume that it works like injector duty cycle and I would imagine you could adapt it to the Link.

Max
Old 12-06-2004, 12:34 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a Spearco kit, looked at the shoddy parts, immediately tossed it in my garage's pile of junk, and made my own Aquamist setup. Aquamist is the only way to go.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:54 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

So, John can you tell me more about the aquamist that you have, made? I have been wondering about this idea as a fun project to do and see any gains, if so, how much.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Ask and ye shall receive. My water injection write-up: http://darklightning.com/gi/wi.htm
Old 12-06-2004, 01:30 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Impressive John, you are a bit of a dark horse... So, its cheaper because you dont use the Auqamist pump?
Old 12-06-2004, 02:21 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Originally Posted by NZ951
Impressive John, you are a bit of a dark horse... So, its cheaper because you dont use the Auqamist pump?
Not using the Aquamist pump is one money saver. Not using the Aquamist controller is the other.

THIS SETUP HAS LIMITATIONS. Specifically, if your overall setup (boost, turbo, injectors, cams, etc) change regularly, you'd be advised to add a duty-cycle control module and high speed solenoid to fine tune water flow. I know I found a fully functional module cheaper than Aquamist's but for the life of me I can't find the site right now.

But if your overall setup is fairly constant and changes are occasional, doing the math and choosing the properly sized injection nozzles works just fine.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:28 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

www.****inggoogleit.com

http://www.aquastealth.com
Old 12-06-2004, 02:30 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, I have heard the Spearco setup is junk. I have no personal experience. I have seen kits like John's work. They used RV pumps and although not fancy looking they worked.

I have heard good and bad things about the Aquamist stuff. I have heard bad things about their pumps, but their controllers and nozzles are nice. Take a look at these two links:

http://www.snowperformance.com - nice system but I think it is better as a standalone setup

and

http://water.lovehorsepower.com/ - this is a guy that sells a package similar to what John describes

Max
Old 12-06-2004, 02:58 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

John, that AquaStealth controller sounds very similar to Snow's controller. They sell two versions, one for MAP based and one that is MAF based.

What controller could you use to allow the Link (or any other standalone) to send a PWM output that controls the duty cycle?

Max
Old 12-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Originally Posted by macnewma
I have heard good and bad things about the Aquamist stuff. I have heard bad things about their pumps, but their controllers and nozzles are nice.
Their nozzles and controllers are second to none, as is the rest of their plumbing equipment (hoses, connectors, check valves, etc.) YOU'LL PAY TOP DOLLAR FOR IT, but you get what you pay for. I only recommend Aquamist nozzles.

I personally have not seen or heard bad reviews on Aquamist pumps, but I also haven't seen anyone raving about them while dancing on a tabletop either.

http://www.snowperformance.com - nice system but I think it is better as a standalone setup
This was the site I was looking for earlier, actually.

NOTE: CORRECT URL IS http://www.snowperformance.net (.net, not .com)

http://water.lovehorsepower.com/ - this is a guy that sells a package similar to what John describes
The ShurFlo accumulator will undoubtedly be cheaper than the Aquamist unit and since the overall design & concept is so simple, there's nothing to be gained with a more expensive version. I'll change my site to include that ShurFlo part number.

As for his kit, well, it's alright but I think you'd be better off piecing together your own. His kit includes nozzles of unknown origin and that makes me nervous.

You have to realize that the water injection nozzles are very very important to how effective your system will be. If they fail to atomize the water properly, you'd be better off just hooking up a garden hose and pointing it at the turbo compressor.

And yes while that was a slight exageration, let me say this: NEVER EVER INSTALL A PRE-TURBO WATER INJECTION SYSTEM. The water impacting the compressor blades will have the effect of sand-blasting them and will destroy your turbo. DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

John, that AquaStealth controller sounds very similar to Snow's controller. They sell two versions, one for MAP based and one that is MAF based.

What controller could you use to allow the Link (or any other standalone) to send a PWM output that controls the duty cycle?

Max
That I really don't know; it'd depend on if the standalone in question had a spare PWM slot to steal for the purpose of water injection. If not, you'd have to have an external device such as SnowPerformance's or AquaStealth's.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:31 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the correction on the link John.

As far as the nozzles go, I have seen systems with the McMaster-Carr sourced ones and they worked well, very fine atomization, but the Aquamist are probably the best. Not a place to skimp.

I have heard of some exceptionally high-hp setups that have run out of steam with with the Aquamist pumps although that wouldn't be a problem with any of our setups. I have also heard of a lot of reliability concerns. I actually talked to a guy at Aquamist and he said it was a great pump, but that in the most heavy duty apps they have a adapted a Shurflo pump.

I also agree that you can piece together a better system than the "lovehorsepower" site's setup. It is a good start though on some additional part numbers.

Once again, I would talk to John at Vitesse or some people at Link that might have experience adapting a PWM signal to a water injection controller. I know the Aquamist System 2c does this, but it is damn expensive. You could possibly use some of the parts from the 2c.

Max

Quick Reply: Spearco water injection kit... experiences anyone?