Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Spearco water injection kit... experiences anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 03:50 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you can run just distilled water without any alcohol? And what charge pipe do you inject it into? The IC to manifold? That is really sweet. I wanna look more into it. Wouldnt that just help on really hot days. I mean even if you arent going to run higher boost but if its hot it will help with more power for the same boost.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:52 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, IC to manifold pipe near the TB.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:05 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NZ951
This is where every water injection system I have ever seen spray's. I think the water over the intercooler thing is a joke although I have never used one so maybe my opinion is a little biased.

FYi my old setup used aquamist everything. It was done by a local friend of mine who turbo's stang's. He uses them in everyone of his car's. He has built several different kits but, this last one I think is the best. Looks similar to johns setup. Snowperformance.com is also a site he recomends. Lots of good info in this thread. Someone looking at water/methanol injection needs to bookmark this.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:05 AM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Originally Posted by 9fitty1
So you can run just distilled water without any alcohol? And what charge pipe do you inject it into? The IC to manifold? That is really sweet. I wanna look more into it. Wouldnt that just help on really hot days. I mean even if you arent going to run higher boost but if its hot it will help with more power for the same boost.
Yes, and make sure it's distilled water; this helps ensure the pump isn't corroded by the water.

Originally Posted by NZ951
Well, yes but more of an explanation is required. There are three ways (or places) to inject water which would be beneficial:

#1 - In the intercooler endtank or just after the intercooler: here's where we get into theory. In theory, when water is injected farther away from the cylinders the water has more time to completely atomize and be mixed into the airstream. Net result is you lower the temperature of the charged air, and this is a good thing.

#2 - In the intake manifold, one water injector per runner: this is also referred to as direct port water injection (just like direct port nitrous oxide.) In theory, when water is injected closer to the cylinders the water has less time to atomize and more of the water enters the cylinder in larger droplet form (this is a relative comparison; the 'droplets' aren't rain drops.) THIS IS ALSO A GOOD THING because the droplets hit the cylinder walls and cool the sleeves while at the same time the air charge is also cooled. Because you have four identically sized injectors (one per cylinder) you've guaranteed each cylinder gets 25% of the injected water. This is also a good thing.

#3 - In the intercooler pipe immediately before the throttlebody: basically as close as you can get to the rubber coupler as possible. This is by far the most common place to mount an injector and has shown good results since it's a compromise between the two options described above.

Can you do both an endtank injector and direct port? Sure, but you need to do all the math to make sure you're not injecting too much water (which can be harmful); don't go over 25% water-to-fuel. 20% water-to-fuel is a better target.

If you need two injectors to achieve the volume of water you desire, but you don't want to mess with the direct port style setup, consider mounting one injector immediately before the throttlebody and the other at the intercooler endtank. Injecting water in two locations makes it easier for the water to swirl and atomize as opposed to two water injectors mounted directly across from each other at the same point in the intercooler pipe.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:16 AM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Now bear in mind that your car in stock form already uses a liquid to cool the cylinder and incoming air: gasoline. The excess fuel doesn't burn but since the fuel is at ambient air temperature it helps cool the cylinder and the air. Auto manufacturers (particularly those with turbocharged applications) add a little too much fuel at wide open throttle to ensure the fuel ratio is correct (better rich than lean) and also to help limit knock from high intake temperatures.

By implementing water injection, you can retune your car with less fuel. This is one of the side benefits you don't notice until later.

I know several water injection guys in the 400-500whp range running an air/fuel ratio of 13.5:1 on daily driven 93 octane turbo applications.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:23 AM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Just found this: waterinjection.info

Quick Reply: Spearco water injection kit... experiences anyone?