Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help! Front wheel bearings stuck tight.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 08:44 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Front wheel bearings stuck tight.

I was doing a brake job this weekend and figured i'd replace my front wheel bearings too while i was at it, so I was following clarke's garage and got everything off just fine, and got my wheel hubs taken apart from my rotors. I got the outer bearing race out with some difficulty, but about 20 minutes of hitting with a punch got it out finally on both sides, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the inner bearing race out... they each budged maybe a millimeter, if that, and now they won't come out anymore... i've tried wd40, i've tried baking it in the oven (as clarke's garage says to do when putting in the new bearing races) nothing works... I need my daily driver back
Old 12-05-2004, 09:30 PM
Claus Groth
Pro

When you pull the hub off of the spindle, the front and rear bearings come off with the hub and are loose in the hub. Removing the rear seal permits removal of the rear bearing. Only the outer races are pressed into the hubs. The inner bearing races fit onto the spindles but are a slip fit, not pressed on.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:12 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

I'm pretty sure there are two races in each hub.. Clark's garage says so even.. There is nothing movable left on the wheel spindle, and there appear to be two channels to insert a punch or screwdriver for the inner race as there are for the outer one.. Still can't get 'em out
Old 12-06-2004, 04:18 PM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Unless you want to damage the hub 9BTDT), you should heat the hub with a torch to about 500 degrees F, then use a brass punch to drive out the bearing races.

If you don't do that, you will damage the inner surface of the hub, eventually resulting in the bearing race becoming loose and ruining your day.

gb
Old 12-06-2004, 04:18 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

Bump. Anyone have suggestions? I need to get my car put back together.. I hope I don't have to buy new wheel hubs or any such thing, but if thats what it comes to I guess I will.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:20 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

I don't have a torch, but maybe I can get one of my friend's to let me borrow theirs. Thanks much
Old 12-06-2004, 04:37 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is the procedure. Any good machine shop will do this for you and it shouldn't be very expensive. They have the press and the adapters to do it quickly. It is a pain to work on large metal object at these temperatures. Item 11 is the small bearing (outer) and Item 12 is the large one.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:47 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by beab951
Here is the procedure. Any good machine shop will do this for you and it shouldn't be very expensive.

Good thinking -- I called napa and they'll do it for four bucks per race =D I'm bringing the hubs to them tomorrow as they'll be closed within the next thirty minutes or so.. Thanks!
Old 12-09-2004, 12:48 AM
ivai
Burning Brakes

Just as a follow up, I finished the brake job.. I brought the hubs to napa and they charged 16 bucks total to take the old ones out and new ones in... I put everything back together, new zimmerman rotors, new mintex pads, painted calipers red with white paint for the "porsche".. looks neat =D ATE Super blue, and best of all, no squeal and awesome stopping power. Oh, and of course, new wheel bearings ;D thanks for the help every1

Quick Reply: Help! Front wheel bearings stuck tight.