Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Deltagate wastegate alert

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004 | 11:25 AM
Claus Groth
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deltagate wastegate alert

For the last six months, my boost has been rising. Lately I have been running 23 to 24 pounds of boost on the track.

I mix 105 race gas with pump gas so no damage. Part of the success has probably been the o-ringed head. Anyway, recently I installed my old manual boost controller to see if the ACV-R is the problem. Same boost.

I removed the wastegate last week and found that the valve guide is so sloppy that the valve rattles around. The air chamber seal above it was also destroyed. That is why there was no air pressure to open the wastegate.

I have had this Turbonetics Deltagate wastegate on the track car for two years. After a few months, it self-destructed and turbonetics rebuilt it. Later, I rebuilt it with parts that I had purchased with the first rebuild. Now it is shot again!!! I called Turbonetics to have them rebuild it and was told that they do not rebuild wastegates. I informed him that they had rebuilt it last year. Doesn't matter, they don't rebuild them any more. Besides that, they no longer sell the Deltagate and have no parts available except the diaphram.

Time to order a Tial

BTW, Tial now has a new 44mm with V-band flanges that I ordered. I also had problems with the Deltagate gaskets desintegrating and blowing out at the thin areas.

After the conversion, I'll give the Deltagate with extra diaphram and gasket to anyone who wants spare parts for the shipping cost.

I should have purchased a Tial originally. The money that I saved has been spent long ago in rebuilds, not counting the aggrevation and down time. I recommend that you don't purchase from Turbonetics.
Old 12-03-2004 | 11:32 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The Deltagates are not very good gates, as you've found. They seem to fail regularly under extended use, and quality is suspect.

Sam
Old 12-03-2004 | 11:53 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 287 Posts

Mine's been in for 3 or 4 years with no problem. My car is street driven however, which may account for the difference. Tials seem to be a lot cheaper now compared to when I got the deltagate.... When it's time for a new one, I'll go the Tial route as well...
Old 12-03-2004 | 11:58 AM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

I'm still happy with my Deltagate. Is everything sunny with a Tial?
Bengt
Old 12-03-2004 | 05:01 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deltagates have a reputation for poor quality in the performance world. I've personally used one Deltagate and several TiALs, and the TiAL durability & reliability is far superior.
Old 12-03-2004 | 06:13 PM
Tomas L
Pro

I'm still happy with my Deltagate. Is everything sunny with a Tial?
Noooo, Tial shot my head gasket. Just because I had a leaking wg pressure hose!! It sould have understod that I didn't want that high boost pressure!!!!
Old 12-03-2004 | 06:30 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tomas L
Noooo, Tial shot my head gasket. Just because I had a leaking wg pressure hose!! It sould have understod that I didn't want that high boost pressure!!!!

Sam
Old 12-03-2004 | 07:10 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

God bless MAP limiters
Old 12-03-2004 | 08:18 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

44mm?!?! Wow!
Old 12-03-2004 | 08:21 PM
Claus Groth
Pro

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
44mm?!?! Wow!
Well, the original tube coming into the wastegate is 40mm. The wastegate is removed reasonably often in a race car so the band clamps will be a real plus. I will only have to lock-wire one screw per flange instead of four each.
Old 12-03-2004 | 09:45 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Mine's been in for 3 or 4 years with no problem. My car is street driven however, which may account for the difference. "

You haven't seen the way Claus drives! BTW, can you use quick-release V-band clamps? Or the rules don't allow that?
Old 12-04-2004 | 12:04 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
44mm?!?! Wow!
Not sure what the wow factor is, many of us run the Tial 46mm, size doesn't matter on most of our cars.

Sam
Old 12-04-2004 | 03:33 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, if you think about it, the higher the HP target, the less the wastegate has to open. Some of the Honda guys runs no wastegates whatsover, just let the turbo spin at 100% all the time and then program the appropriate fuel & ignition maps for that boost-curve.

I've got my wastegate dumping to atmosphere and most of the time, it's nice and quite. But when I get on the throttle, as soon as max-boost hits 20psi, it get an immense ROAR!! Sure to peel the stickers off any ricers nearby. Then when I run 25psi, it's so much quieter, I hardly hear any noise at all, showing that the wastegate's being held shut to get as much boost out of the turbo as possible.

Quick Reply: Deltagate wastegate alert