Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How fast have you removed the cyl. head?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 02:11 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm far from you guys on this R&R. Motor pull takes at least a good 5 hours for me. Head removal, maybe 3 to 4 hours.
Ahmet
Old 12-02-2004, 02:17 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why don't you open up the manuals and see the steps needed for any job (including removing engines and oil pan gaskets), same applies for replacing the clutch (where there are 3 methods that i KNOW of) but those are irrelevant.

On the issue of hijacking or being related to the thread, corretc me if i am mistaken but this is the title:

How fast have you removed the cyl. head?

So, when YOU brought up the issue on removing engines, i gave my input in that on what i witnessed in reality.

BTW, taking 7.5hours for my oil pan was also called BS by several people on this board.

You also have a tend to attack people on one post, then claim that you were not on a second which happens quiet often.

The problem is that many people just have 'one view' on certain things, would it make you feel better if i scanned the bill and posted it here? would that satisfy you at all? (that's if you do every get satisfied with ANYTHING i post).

FYI, i never had anything against you at all and i still don't. But it appears that you do and for some reason just don't accept certain things that are achieved (in the part of the world anyway).

Anyways, if you READ my previous post, i had this to say

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Instead of saying those remarks about me on the thread, you could have made a wiser move by PM me your point in order not to start hijacking the thread.
YOU are telling ME:

Stop typing and read.

i think that you should read before you type as well.

PS i was sitting there at my mechanic for 2 hours and i saw him take under 2 hours to remove the 951 engine. That oil pan gasket job was at a different mechanic (also mentioned in the post).
Old 12-02-2004, 02:45 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't you open up the manuals and see the steps needed for any job (including removing engines and oil pan gaskets), same applies for replacing the clutch (where there are 3 methods that i KNOW of) but those are irrelevant.Meathead, I've read the manuals and done the jobs. Quiz me if you like. What is your point? If they're irrelevant they why bring them up?

On the issue of hijacking or being related to the thread, corretc me if i am mistaken but this is the title:

How fast have you removed the cyl. head? Exactly, not how fast your mechanic did it.

So, when YOU brought up the issue on removing engines, i gave my input in that on what i witnessed in reality. I mentioned the engine as a point of humor. I guess you missed that.

BTW, taking 7.5hours for my oil pan was also called BS by several people on this board.I could care less what anyone else says. 7.5 hours on a lift is very possible.

You also have a tend to attack people on one post, then claim that you were not on a second which happens quiet often.No one attacked you, I just called bull****.

The problem is that many people just have 'one view' on certain things, would it make you feel better if i scanned the bill and posted it here? would that satisfy you at all? (that's if you do every get satisfied with ANYTHING i post).Do you have a bill for an engine pull that took less then 2 hours? If so, please e-mail it to me so I can take it to the local shops and haggle price. If I can get it done for 2 hours labor, I'll never pull another one again. It takes me that long to wash the grease off of my hands and clean up the beer cans

FYI, i never had anything against you at all and i still don't. But it appears that you do and for some reason just don't accept certain things that are achieved (in the part of the world anyway).I really have no idea what you're talking about here. I'm talking about 1 thing, not multiple. Who likes who.....against me......blahblah blah, we're not lovers...who cares.

Anyways, if you READ my previous post, i had this to say

YOU are telling ME:

Stop typing and read.

i think that you should read before you type as well.

PS i was sitting there at my mechanic for 2 hours and i saw him take under 2 hours to remove the 951 engine. That oil pan gasket job was at a different mechanic (also mentioned in the post).
I'm telling you that I just don't see it or believe it. I would believe that some of the bolts were undone, the cooling system was drained, the dme harness was out, and he just finished the job off. That's reasonable. If you said he did it in 4 with a lift and air tols I wouls easily believe that. I'm just not buying that a COMPLETE 951 engine was removed in 2 hours by one guy without a sawzall. I don't think you'll find anyon else that will either. Sorry if I mitakenly identified the wrong mechanic. I have a hard time keeping up with all your guru's.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:48 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike S
Yeah i'll say about 1.5-2 hours for me. Unbolting the 6 header bolts at the bottom are the biggest pain.
Word, I sold my test pipe because i didnt want to mess with those bolts...for the 5th time!!!
Old 12-02-2004, 02:55 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hosrom everyone appreciates imput but, I think the thread was about how long it takes you personally to pull your own head and whats your current record(as most 951 owners have done it several times) I dont think he would of had a problem with your first post and didnt but, when someone mentioned pulling a motor in 5hrs you took it as a compeition and had to post that your mechanic could do it in 2hrs. See my point. There was not a point in posting what your mechanic did. Even if you didnt mean for it to come off as braging or competing it was taken that way. If you mechanic can pull your motor in 2hrs thats great but, you dont always have to one up everyone....and like I said I think the reason he took it to heart was they are posting actual times of personal labor were you are posting about someone else getting it done quicker. This also seems to be a trend. You posting about things you have no personal expeirence with. Maybe some people are just getting a little p-od' about it. Personally I don't really care. Post up what you want to.

I aint trying to futher this arguement I just wanted to help you see what he was kinda getting upset about. Instead of posting what your mechanic can do for you stay on topic and post what you have done. No big deal.

Maybe my 20hr HG job isint the fastest in the world but, I was proud I was able to get it done. Jermey was very helpful after the job was completed in helping us track down what went wrong 8hrs after completion(later found out it was my dumbass pulling the cam tower and belt assembly loose and not tighting back the front two main bolts).

Not everyone does all of their own work...thats fine. Hell lindsey is doing my head. So having your mechanic do your work is totally fine...just dont post up the times trying to brag about it. Not everyone is as good as your mechanic.

BTW jeremey thanks again for those phone calls man. It just sucks that it was one bull**** mistake that caused it all. Ah well you live and you learn. From now one when I have the cam tower off and the belts loose I will check TDC 4 or 5 times before and check every bolt I can find. lol.

BTW I watched some of our footage and I think you could get the tower off in 1hr if you were working really hard....even if it is by yourself. Two sets of hands in the engine bay would cut that time in half.

I still say I am shooting for 10hrs on my next HG replacement...hopefully it wont be for a looooong time.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:57 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

As for the engine pull in 2 hours...that isnt so farfetched. You mainly need to do the 6 bolts from hell on the headers, control arms, tie rods, coolant and heater hoses, electronics, fuel lines, pulling the radiator, putting the engine on a hoist, pulling it off the driveshaft, clutch slave cylinder, starter....Wow, 2 hours isnt feasible after all.

Im not here to attack anyone...but it this guy can do it in 2...he's inhuman. I can do it in 5, without breaks. Again, thats assuming nothing goes wrong. I think we have all had that bolt from hell that took us a weekend to undo.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:00 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

oh serge you are sooooo right. I spent 2 nights trying to get that ****ing crossover pipe bolt off. Damn that was the biggest pain in the ***. I actually just got fed up and used a dremel. I went to zimms and purchased all new ones. By far the worst bolt in history.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:11 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

With all respect John, i know what you mean and i tried to aviod that by mentioning in my first post:

I did not remove the cylinder head myself yet but my previous GURU (now im using someone else who's better ).........

There is/are MORE than 1 way to do a job, it might not be nice but it could be quick, and the other way around.

Where the subject of removing engines arouse, i thought it would be intersting to share what i experienced. That is all there was to it........

As i mentioned, i find it intersting of how long do certain jobs require and what really goes on (especially now) and im sure that there are people out there that would like to see that also

Jeremy, sorry for being harsh or used any words in a bad manner. If i ticked you off a bit (which im sure i did), my apoligies and i hope you don't take anything personal against me
Old 12-02-2004, 03:20 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

very nice post hosrom....I am sure everyone here can respect that.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:21 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
As for the engine pull in 2 hours...that isnt so farfetched. You mainly need to do the 6 bolts from hell on the headers, control arms, tie rods, coolant and heater hoses, electronics, fuel lines, pulling the radiator, putting the engine on a hoist, pulling it off the driveshaft, clutch slave cylinder, starter....Wow, 2 hours isnt feasible after all.

Im not here to attack anyone...but it this guy can do it in 2...he's inhuman. I can do it in 5, without breaks. Again, thats assuming nothing goes wrong. I think we have all had that bolt from hell that took us a weekend to undo.
Serg, I leave the headers and x-over pipe attached and only need to pull the fan. You forgot the 4 pain in the *** bolts on the torque tube, the W/G, cat pipe, the steeing shaft bolt, power steering lines (even that PITS little hard line that goes to the cooler), oil lines, coolant x-over pipe, air box, cross member, battery cables, etc. If you really think about it, that's a lot of **** and a lot of little bolts to get off in 2 hours. Unless you're superman.

If you can do it in 5 then you know your way around a wrench, 3.5 you've done a whole lot of them and have a lift with nice ar tool attachments, 2 try using something other then a sun dial to keep track of the time.

John, You're more then wecome for the help. Feel free to call anytime.

After arguing with Hosrom, I now understand what it's like to participate in the special olympics.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:23 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
After arguing with Hosrom, I now understand what it's like to participate in the special olympics.

Hmmm.......anyway i can make it up to you?
Old 12-02-2004, 03:29 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Serg, I leave the headers and x-over pipe attached and only need to pull the fan. You forgot the 4 pain in the *** bolts on the torque tube, the W/G, cat pipe, the steeing shaft bolt, power steering lines (even that PITS little hard line that goes to the cooler), oil lines, coolant x-over pipe, air box, cross member, battery cables, etc. If you really think about it, that's a lot of **** and a lot of little bolts to get off in 2 hours. Unless you're superman.

If you can do it in 5 then you know your way around a wrench, 3.5 you've done a whole lot of them and have a lift with nice ar tool attachments, 2 try using something other then a sun dial to keep track of the time.

John, You're more then wecome for the help. Feel free to call anytime.

Whats wrong with a sundial? I use one as a wrist watch. You just gotta remember to bring a flashlight for when it gets dark...
Old 12-02-2004, 03:32 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

hmm hosrom you are tool shed for mentioning the mechanics time to do it. I call BS. Actually you aren't even worthy of tool shed more like tool belt. Less than. Turn key 944 guys that offer info like this is BS.

Jeremy is cool. Thanks for the chart. But what do I know. I am only have a graduate degree in engineering and I have taken my 951 apart. Maybe we should speculate some more. You like to do that. I hate to be a thread ****, but I grow tired of the turn key BS. In a couple of years I will be a turn key too. Only because I will have the money and no inclination to deal with building it and no time. Maybe not. My job placement will dictate that. But at least I won't deal out BS. Meh. Don't take it personal. Just stop spreading BS.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:36 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Im just keeping quiet on this one Gator, i said all i have to say (posted actually).
Old 12-02-2004, 04:00 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Werd.

Quick Reply: How fast have you removed the cyl. head?