Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clutch opinions needed, inform me.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 02:25 AM
Jsquared
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch opinions needed, inform me.

Did a couple searches yesterday evening, seemed to have a bit of trouble finding what I was looking for since there are three somewhat-similar but still different 944/951 forums So, I'm looking for opinions on what clutch brands and types people have had on their modded 951s. Car in question is currently down to get a turboS transaxle and we're doing the clutch at the same time, seeing as it's been on the car far beyond the nearly 7 years we've had the car and that sucker is worn the heck out

The car makes in the vicinity of 245wHP and 295wTQ (approximation due to car being run on a Mustang Dyno, so I converted those into DynoJet approximations since that's what most people use... although I have seen that there isn't really a "conversion percentage" you can use between the two as it seems to vary car to car), so a clutch that can handle 350+ ft-lbs at the flywheel is what I'm looking for. HAS to be sprung hub, and I'd prefer organic disc over a sprung-hub pucked clutch. Heavy pressure plate isn't that big of an issue as the pedal pressure is somewhat... "solid" at the moment anyway

Anyways, any help is appreciated. Most of the companies I'm familiar with (Exedy, SPEC, ACT, etc) seem to specialize in domestic or Japanese applications, so if you guys know of some good deals, let me know.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: nuts, almost forgot! Opinions on lightweight flywheels welcome as well. I can get a good deal on an aluminum Fidanza, but some of the high-power Jap-car guys don't like the idea of using aluminum in an application that sees that much heat and abuse, most of them go with lightweight chromoly flywheels...

Last edited by Jsquared; 11-24-2004 at 03:20 AM. Reason: d'oh
Old 11-24-2004, 07:00 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Fidanza and have run it at 7000 for a couple years at LRP - One of my best investments on this car.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:11 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

From my research, I have found that most people go with either a 951 Cup Clutch or a Spec StgI or StgII clutch from Lindsey Racing. Centerforce also has a setup but it isn't as common. I have heard of people using the Cup Clutch past 400rwhp. I don't know that it is technically designed for that. I suggest talking to some of the reputable tuners around here like Vitesse, Lindsey, SFR, Chris White etc.

As far as lightened flywheels, I know of people using the Fidanza, machined stock, Spec, and one other I can't recall off the top of my head.

Oh btw, what kind of usage will your car see? Track, street, auto-x, drag?

Max
Old 11-24-2004, 09:46 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The stock PP hold up to 370 ft lbs (about 530 NM)

Konstantin
Old 11-24-2004, 09:59 AM
J Chen
Drifting

If you're car is mainly street driven, stay away
from the Fidanza flywheel. If you really must
have a lighten flywheel than have the stock unit
modified but do not take too much weight off.
The Fidanza is alittle to light weight for street
application. As for Spec clutch stay away from
Stage 3.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:10 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J Chen
If you're car is mainly street driven, stay away
from the Fidanza flywheel. If you really must
have a lighten flywheel than have the stock unit
modified but do not take too much weight off.
The Fidanza is alittle to light weight for street
application. As for Spec clutch stay away from
Stage 3.
I have the fidanza/cup set-up and it works great for both street and track use.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:29 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

I think the problem you run into with clutches and flywheel's is what one person can live with other's can't. Our opinions on street driveabilty differ and so do streetable/driveable opinions on these things. I know of several people running the spec stage 2 on a stock fw that are modded and have zero issues. I can't speak on the pedal feel as I am biased myself. I am used to a hard clutch with sort feel spot. So my current cup clutch feels almost too docile and too smushy. I think whenever this one go's I will upgrade to a stage 2 or 3 spec. Using the stock fw.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:41 AM
J Chen
Drifting

porshhh951, you're right. I should have mentioned city driving.
I've got lots of stop & go traffic. I doubt you would have this
issue living in Arizona Jeremy.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:45 AM
special tool
Banned

THAT is an excellent point, J Chen. I don't have a lot of stop and go when I drive on the street. I did, however, get caught in traffic on Rt. 84 on the way to the dyno - it was HELL.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:58 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J Chen
porshhh951, you're right. I should have mentioned city driving.
I've got lots of stop & go traffic. I doubt you would have this
issue living in Arizona Jeremy.
Geez, we may be the west but we still have a couple of million people. We're not completely redneck. Mine is driven daily in stop and go traffic and I just don't have problem. In rush hour traffic, on our freeways, it'll take about an hour to go 10 to 12 miles. Not quite gridlock, but with a traffic light every 1/2 mile it's hardly open road.

On my car, I don't have to slip the clutch any more than stock and have virtually no chatter. I would suspect that if I had lightened internals to match, or a ligter clutch package it may be annoying but my wife drives the car and finds it comfortable as well. Who knows,maybe I have a super special flywheel or Fidanza lied to me and painted a stock one aluminum color?
Old 11-25-2004, 12:41 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Also check out KEP for pressure plates... if you do go with Spec stage 2 or 3, do a search to find opinions on it, there are a few threads now.

Last edited by NZ951; 11-25-2004 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:12 AM
dlr944
Racer

I would call Powerhaus as they can supply you with a lightened flywheel, 930 clutch disc, KEP pressure plate, main seal, guide tube, etc... This is the clutch that I am currently installing and they have been very good to deal with. I purchased this clutch due to all the positive recommendations on this site. Thy recommended not to using an AL flywheel given the problems they encountered at Dayton.

Good luck!!
Old 11-25-2004, 01:17 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats the difference between the 930 disk and "cup" disk? I just went with the KEP PP, cup disk and 8.5lb stock fly. One local guy that has raced 951's here for 14 years said the ally fly warped when he was racing and uses the stock one now.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:33 PM
Jsquared
Intermediate

Thank you all for your opinions. The car sees mostly "enthusiastic" street driving, and will see some track time in the spring. Having to deal with the touchiness of a light flywheel won't be that much of an issue, as the car is not daily-driven (weekend car so to speak) and I am not that picky about plushness or streetability (partially gutted interior, no AC, welded rear diff in the Nissan ) and my dad almost never drives it so I doubt he'd notice (heck it was his idea to look into light flywheels anyway ). I am not too fond of SPEC clutches from my Japanese car experiences (most guys don't even bother running the Stg1 or Stg2, and the Stg3 still don't hold as much torque as advertised; a lot of guys like the ACT since they seem to hold more than they're rated for).

The stock PP hold up to 370 ft lbs
Hmmm, stock ought to be sufficient then. How much "better" (stiffer) would the KEP be as far as pedal feel?

Also, regarding the aluminum flywheel, I do know of a local 951 racer who has used one for over a year and says he likes it, no reliablity issues thus far. As this 951 probably won't see more than 10,000 miles next year including track time, a Fidanza + Cup clutch combo sounds like it would work... I guess the main thing now is to decide what pressure plate to use...

Quick Reply: Clutch opinions needed, inform me.