Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Would there be any interest in a rear shelf for our cars? Update.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 01:50 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Yep, thats exactly what I meant. Depending on the final weight, I will be in. I am trying to keep my 951 on a strict diet, but I want to do something like this.

Regards,
Old 11-29-2004, 01:58 AM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will be lighter than the stock seat for sure. I'm going to weigh the stock seatback/seatbottom/seatbelt for a reference and will post all data when the time comes.
Cheers!
Jason
Old 11-29-2004, 01:00 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh and one suggestion, maybe find more of those little plastic "loop" things like there are stock, and put them further up front. Theyre really handy for use with bungie cords so stuff doesnt slide...
Old 11-30-2004, 01:01 AM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

For those of you that have been following my threads about building a replica of the rear shelf that was offered in the 968 Club Sport, please help me get an idea on how many I should build.

I'm still waiting on carpet samples, a oversized cardboard box quote, some more pictures of the original, and precut panel costs.

Carpet: I found a supply for the OEM Sliverknit carpet used in our cars. It's almost double the cost of everything else on the market. I'm getting samples of 3 different types of aftermarket as well as the OEM stuff. We will wait and see if it's worth the extra cost.

Wood frame: I'm steering away from any kind of MDF (weight) or particle board (crap). I'm leaning towards some 5 ply fir plywood in 9/16" thickness, it should be a good balance between price, strength, and weight. I'm waiting on a quote form some CNC cut panels verses doing it myself.

Shipping container: I've sent off a few requests for a custom sized box to ship them in. the shelf will be pretty big to ship 52x16x12 (approx) plus a 2" buffer all around for padding. If anyone knows a good supplier or knows of a souce for stock boxes this size let me know.

Pictures: I've got a few, and have a guy in the UK that is going to take a bunch of pictures so I can ensure a quality replica. I already have plans drawn up, and a prototype cut, but I want to see what the factory did for bracing before I finish.

If the unit comes out identical to the factory piece I suppose there could be a legitimate argument for removing the rear seat, to avoid getting bumped to a different class in your autoX/racing club. As it was availble as a factory option.

So far it's looking like $230-240 for one with the OEM carpet and about $30-40 less for the aftermarket carpet. Depending on a few things it could get adjusted either way.

I know everyone will have to see one before they commit, but if it was offered at this price, and met everyone's quality expectations, how many would be interested?

I appriciate everyone's input thus far, thanks!
Jason
Old 11-30-2004, 11:44 AM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jason,
I know this isn't what you're looking for, but I am still interested in one more along the style of the 968 Cabriolet rearshelf since I have a cab. If you expand production in order for new styles, please let me know. I am willing to pay more for the front cubbie doors with locks and a bar over the shelf in the back.

On a tangent, do you have a switch for a power seat? I managed to break mine last week and need a new one. Thanks, and good luck. The one you have looks good, but not what I am looking for in a cab.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:41 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in. no carpet for me.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:52 PM
highboy
Rennlist Member

Absolutely count me in...what about burgundy carpet for those sporting the other color interior?

thanks for the effort!

tom
Old 12-04-2004, 09:31 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

I would be interested with Burgandy OEM carpet
Old 12-06-2004, 12:36 PM
Ceenit
Advanced

Jason,
I'm 'temporarily' going the other way. I need to make room for little people in my back seat. If you or anyone else happens to have a pair of rear seat belts that they would like to part with...please send me an email ceenit@carolina.rr.com.
Thanks
Chris
Old 12-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Small update:
I got a whole buch of detailed pictures of a factory 968 CS shelf.
News to me, there is no front to them, it's the top shelf, with a center support, and an angle bracket on each side. The entire front is open, and the seat bottom area is carpeted.
I still haven't received my carpet samples yet, but will post again in a new thread when I get them.
Cheers,
Jason
Here is a picture from underneath the shelf.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:31 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

How were you going to build it then? Solid front?

It would mean extra work and extra price... But an AWSOME feature some I bet many will be interested in is a trap door, so the front looks closed but theres a secret area in behind. Obviously totally up to you since it would mean more R&D and more work, but I think its a feature many people will like since it would be an extra spot to stash cameras, laptops, toolkits, and so on.

Ive seen latches that are operated by a magnet, theres no button to push you just hold a magnet over them and it opens up
Old 12-08-2004, 05:36 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Brian,
I am going to build the factory style one first, but after that I've got a great idea for just what your thinking of.
Cheers,
Jason
Old 12-24-2004, 02:59 PM
chiptoe
2nd Gear

Also looking to go the other way - I am a 968 cab owner, and would love to pick up a set of rear seats (just the bottoms - black) from someone who does this upgrade. Anybody interested?

I would also like a non-retracting rear seat belt.

thanks,
chip tonkin
Old 12-24-2004, 04:35 PM
Matt H
Race Director

chip - where are you located? I could be persuaded to remove the rear seats from the 951.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:55 PM
chiptoe
2nd Gear

Matt - That sounds great. I am in Clemson, SC.

You can contact me via email -> chiptoe@mac.com

Quick Reply: Would there be any interest in a rear shelf for our cars? Update.