Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Air Fuel Ratio gauges-To wideband or not????

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 11:17 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Air Fuel Ratio gauges-To wideband or not????

I'm so confused. Ok, all I need is a simple Air fuel ratio gauge to do some minor tuning (check my boost and set via LBE to match Weltmeister chips which I've heard should be everything from stock to 15psi--ok, I know it's working backwards.) So I was convinced that I needed a wideband and that the narrowbands do little at partial throttle and useless at full throttle. But now I heard about this guy http://gadgetseller.com/gauges/

Anybody know if this will work for me? Anybody using one of his modified gauges?

Somebody help--If I absolutely positively need a wideband I'd love to hear from some of you using them and what you like or dislike about your model. I'm looking for something cheap, cheap, cheap since I'm not really doing any hardcore tuning and don't want to spend $400 on a simple gauge if I don't have to--I'd rather put that in some tires or sway bars or hookers in mexico!

So anyone with any kind of AFR gauge, now's the time you've been waiting for to voice your opinions make another Rennbot happy.

Thanks and thanks.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:31 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

For what you need to do, just take the car to a dyno shop that logs a/f. Set it there and drive away. It'll be the cheapest accurate option.

Sam
Old 11-16-2004, 11:43 PM
Edman951
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had all 3 types of guages.
Reg autometer, modified from gadgetseller, and now WB.
For sure the WB is the bomb.
The modified work OK, the advantage is it doesn't bounce around at idle.
But if you want something cheap, get a regular one. I had the modified one and it stop working after 1 year.
The regular one from Autometer last alot longer. I actually have one on another car that's had it for over 4 years. And it still work.

Hope this helps
Old 11-16-2004, 11:45 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't go wrong with a wideband. Its among the best thing you can do when modfying your car (or not). Its always good to know what your cars doing.
-Randy
Old 11-16-2004, 11:58 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I think I have to do the wideband.

What's the cheapest? Zeitronix? PLX?

I definitely want one that I can use the wideband sensor to "fool" the DME with a narrowband signal so I only need the one O2 sensor. Not sure which gauges will do this other than the PLX
http://www.plxdevices.com/M-Series_productinfo.htm

What other gauges do this?
Old 11-16-2004, 11:59 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Anything for less than $300?
Old 11-17-2004, 12:14 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

You can build your own.. such as I did. The new WB02 from Tech Edge. http://wb02.com

My older version also has 4 ports for datalogging. I log temp voltage before and after IC, MAP voltage, and of course A/F. They also have pre-made kits.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:30 AM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the zeitronix sells for $279, even cheaper if you can find a group buy. i've seen the question of using a wideband's 'narrowband output signal' to replace the stock O2 come up a few times and the general consensus seems to be that this is not recommended.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:22 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shaheed
i've seen the question of using a wideband's 'narrowband output signal' to replace the stock O2 come up a few times and the general consensus seems to be that this is not recommended.
Why did I just know that was going to be the case---jeez, nothing's easy.

Ok, stupid question: can the bung (for the extra O2 sensor) be welded into the downpipe without removing it from the car? Lemme guess. No, I bet.

I don't suppose there's a sensor which sends both a narrowband and wideband signal . . . .
Old 11-17-2004, 03:59 AM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

you dont want to put the bung in the downpipe, you want it in the test pipe. Zeitronix is cheap- as is their EGT probe, I would definately get both!
-Randy
Old 11-17-2004, 06:13 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ECUdooberhead
you dont want to put the bung in the downpipe, you want it in the test pipe. Zeitronix is cheap- as is their EGT probe, I would definately get both!
-Randy
Test pipe? I'm in CA and can't get away with a test pipe. Is the down pipe too hot for this sensor? I keep reading that it can't be above 850 degrees or it will kill the sensor--how hot does the downpipe get?

Also, Ive been reading up on the Tech Edge as recommended by perry 951 and it seems like a possibility, if I can actually build the damn thing! Jeez, that guy's got so much on the site--sounds like he's some crazy Australian who builds widebands all night long while smoking strange aborigine stuff out in the bush.

Perry, is building that thing beyond the scope of someone who's never done much more than simple electrical work or is it fairly straight forward once it's sitting in front of you? What special tools would I need (other than a candle and a screw driver to hold in the flame so I could solder.) It sure is a lot cheaper to build it yourself.

ok, I'm back to the Tech Edge site so I can figure out how hard it is to build one. (He actually posted the instructions on the site.)
Old 11-17-2004, 06:27 AM
Asarus
Pro

Will the Bosch LSU 4.2 sensor fit in place of the stock O² sensor ?
Old 11-17-2004, 07:11 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

I've got the tech edge wb02, its like switching a light on in terms of the insight into where your a/f is at under the full range of driving conditions. Previously i had a narrowband digial output which gave some info on full throttle behaviour.
Bung welded in last bend before cat without removing exhaust no probs, at about 35 degrees from horizontal.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:45 AM
special tool
Banned

I cannot see how ANYONE wouldn't buy the zetronx.I paid under $300 and I have a SiX CHANNEL datalogger. THERE IS NOTHING THAT EVEN COMPETES, GUYS.
A retarded monkey could install it in 45 minutes, and it has worked perfectly for me through several hardware updates.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:49 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

test pipe, cat section - put it there, about 6 inches down from the downpipe flange. There is room to get it in and out.

Quick Reply: Air Fuel Ratio gauges-To wideband or not????