Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Air Fuel Ratio gauges-To wideband or not????

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 10:11 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on buying the Zeitronix unit in the spring. I think it offers the best data logging but I also dislike the display. I will either buy the converter from PLX to drive my autometer from the Zeitronix 0-5 v output ot just pick up a small digital voltmeter display. Listen up Zeitronix.... There are a lot of us who would really like a small, clean display.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:52 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awilson: I wan to purchase the zeitronix unit a.s.a.p. but as you mentioned i also hate the display.

That converter from PLX is pretty nice, but running two a/f 'wideband' gauges is weird
Old 11-20-2004, 04:23 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
That converter from PLX is pretty nice, but running two a/f 'wideband' gauges is weird
Hehe, but then you can just get the PLX variant without inbuilt LED and only run via the converter.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:24 PM
Asarus
Pro

I run the Guru 18 psi chips. Do you know if i can just replace my O² sensor by the Bosch LSU 4.2 (wideband) one ? I want to know if that's bolt-on and i can remove the current one to put the other one, and if i can then get a narrow band signal to send to the DME or not (from the Bosch LSU 4.2)

If not, where should i put the Bosch LSU 4.2 sensor on the exhaust ? Can i put it on the pipe coming from the turbo or is it better to put it near the current O² sensor ?

Thanks
Old 11-25-2004, 10:24 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, you can't. There is too much turbulence between the head and the turbo for the wideband.
Also, The mock narrow band output of the 5 wire is NOT as fast-acting as the lambda.
I put mine in the exhaust between the first brace and the front of the cat heat shield (4 inches).
Old 11-26-2004, 04:32 AM
Asarus
Pro

Thanks !

If anyone have pictures of the wideband sensor installed, it would be great for me

Seb
Old 11-28-2004, 04:55 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by awilson40
I plan on buying the Zeitronix unit in the spring. I think it offers the best data logging but I also dislike the display. I will either buy the converter from PLX to drive my autometer from the Zeitronix 0-5 v output ot just pick up a small digital voltmeter display. Listen up Zeitronix.... There are a lot of us who would really like a small, clean display.
i've been thinking the same thing. and fyi, zeitronix says they've got a pod-style (ie; autometer type) a/f gauge in the works. it should be available as an add-on to their existing system sometime in the spring.

anybody wanna organize a group-buy?
Old 11-29-2004, 04:35 AM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

I kind of wish that I hadn't sprung for the display on the zeitronix. I'm not using boost or egt sensors, and the display always seemed difficult to read in real time. I would be very interested in a different style of display (non-numeric).

On a related note, I posted a while back saying that the WB signal had stopped working in my zeitronix unit. I disconected the control box since the sensor wasn't working, and left it that way for a couple of months while I only put about 200 miles on the car. Anyways, last week I dove in to figure out if there was a bad connection, didn't find any, but after plugging the wires back in the unit started working again (isn't not having power to the O2 sensor supposed to kill it in short order?). The afr values on the display seemed to be the same as I got this summer, so it seems to be working ok, but I did notice that the display has become even more difficult to read as the numbers change. It's like some pixels lag way behind. Anybody else notice this? I didn't get a chance to check it out for very long since I put the car away for the winter today. Maybe temperature has something to do with it? I might contact zeitronix, but just wanted to see if anyone else has the same problem.

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:43 AM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

Just went to zeitronix website. I saw that we can now get TPS to read out on our displays. Admittedly not a very useful feature, but now I don't have to stare at a static boost reading. Cool! This will work on all units, not just the brand new ones, right?

Quick Reply: Air Fuel Ratio gauges-To wideband or not????