Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Danno made another great set of chips.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 12:50 AM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill have to edit my earlier post. I found out that my CV is modded maybe? The kind where people drill them or something? Anyway, I just going to pull the manifold now since I'm waiting for a new banjo bolt. I couldnt really tell what was going where since there where only 2 hoses at the CV instead of 3.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:10 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John, there are four fuel and two ignition adjustments on the FQS switch giving 8 combinations. So FQS#0-3 have four fuel adjustments with the 1st ignition setting. Then FQS#4-7 has the same four fuel adjustments with a 2nd ignitoin setting. So it would look something like this:

0. stock injectors, 15psi fuel, ignition for 91-oct.
1. stock injectors, +10% fuel for 18psi, ignition for 91-oct.
2. 55# injectors, 15psi fuel, ignition for 91-oct.
3. 55# injectors, +10% fuel for 18psi, ignition for 91-oct.
4. stock injectors, 15psi fuel, ignition for 89-oct.
5. stock injectors, +10% fuel for 18psi, ignition for 89-oct.
6. 55# injectors, 15psi fuel, ignition for 89-oct.
7. 55# injectors, +10% fuel for 18psi, ignition for 89-oct.

These adjustments act on the underlying fuel/ignition maps and raises the entire tables up or down in percentage increments. So it's not as precise as I'd like, so I only use it to make minor adjustments because both idle & full-throttle will be affected. So typically upon request, I'll program four adjustments for the same size injectors: 0%, +3%, +6%, +9% for fine-tuning along with the two ignition settings.

There are actually 3 underlying fuel/ignition maps that can be programmed completely independently from each other. This way, I can maintain the same idle characteristics across the board. But I can have vastly different partial-throttle and full-throttle maps. I typically have the latest chips with 3 sets of maps programmed as follows:

1. 18psi on 91-oct. pump gas
2. 15psi on 91-oct. pump gas (previous v8 GURU settings, works better than running 18psi maps at 15psi)
3. 18psi on 100-oct race gas (same fuel as #1, but with increased ignition advance in certain areas for maximum power).

The three maps are selected using combinations of the RCP-region coding plug and IA-impedance adaptors. US-spec cars don't have the IA adaptor, so the '86-87 cars can only pick from map#1. And the '88+ cars can pick from #1 or #3. In order to pick all three maps, you need to convert the AltitudeSensor line into the IA-impedance adaptor like on Euro-spec cars. Not that tough, just a 1.8K-ohm resistor and a toggle-switch.

I'm looking at perhaps making an adjuster board, like a little switch box that can be mounted somewhere, like on the side of the center-console, with remote switches for the FQS, RCP and IA. That way, you can make quick changes without having to pull the DME box out. This idea came from a remove chip-socket I made for testing chips, basically a ZIF socket with a ribbon cable going to the DME.

"Second, once I have those chips and I want to move on to a MAP system, do I need new chips?"

You get a $200 discount to move up to the MAP kits later. I include a new set of chips with MAP-specific programming and you just send the old DME chip back.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:16 AM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

Originally Posted by Danno

I'm looking at perhaps making an adjuster board, like a little switch box that can be mounted somewhere, like on the side of the center-console, with remote switches for the FQS, RCP and IA. That way, you can make quick changes without having to pull the DME box out. This idea came from a remove chip-socket I made for testing chips, basically a ZIF socket with a ribbon cable going to the DME.
I would buy a remote fqs adjuster in a second! I think If i move that switch anymore I'll break it or something. The golf tee wouldnt get it to turn so I used a knife . Now the little triangle is almost stripped. Is it suppose to click at every setting? I just messed around with it to make sure it was at the right one for my setup. I really regret doing so now though.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:28 AM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

On some dme's at least in 86 you can adjust the switch w your fingers if you take off the cover. Then on some it is all covered up.

Danno, will you send me the 25 psi chips?

I have 2 sets I can send back to you in return?
Old 11-18-2004, 01:10 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

So the chips are all for 91 octane?

"1. 18psi on 91-oct. pump gas
2. 15psi on 91-oct. pump gas (previous v8 GURU settings, works better than running 18psi maps at 15psi)
3. 18psi on 100-oct race gas (same fuel as #1, but with increased ignition advance in certain areas for maximum power)."

So if you are running 15 psi, you can run FQS 2 or 3?
Old 11-24-2004, 08:31 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danno
You get a $200 discount to move up to the MAP kits later. I include a new set of chips with MAP-specific programming and you just send the old DME chip back.
Ok, question: how do the AFM and MAP chips vary? Isn't the MAP Link module designed to mimick AFM numbers?
Old 11-25-2004, 12:30 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John, the AFM and MAP chips are very different. Originally, they were similar, but the immediate response of the MAP sensor threw the look-up point on the 3D maps into ranges that are never touched by the stock AFM. This caused an off-idle hesitation, or a stumble if you opened the throttle too fast. So I've re-mapped the chips extensively to work with the MAP system.

While you can use the TuningModule to re-program the MAP computer to work with AFM chips, it requires making changes to about 20 out of the 144 datacells on the 3D map. It's simpler for me just to include optimised chips for the MAP application.

Quick Reply: Danno made another great set of chips.