Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VDO Boost Gauge Install??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 09:06 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VDO Boost Gauge Install??

I purchased a VDO boost gauge and tubing and hardware kit and I need the parts to install. The connector (1/8) was not included in the kit and I need a proper T connector as well, where can I source these parts? I bought a T from home Depot, but I do not think it will seal properly.
I will be connecting at the DMW KLR area and I do not know the size tubing so I can get a good connection?
Old 11-09-2004, 09:08 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's best to run your line all the way to the engine. As for hardware, everything I needed for my VDO was available at a local hardware store.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:11 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

Was the hardware in the plumbing department?
Where in the engine did you connect?
thanks,
Ben
Old 11-09-2004, 09:47 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

The easiest way it to splice into the KLR hard plastic line with a 7/16" (IIRC) tee.
Remove the passenger side footwall carpeting to see the long hard clear line going into the KLR computer.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:03 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

Where can I get the T?
Old 11-10-2004, 06:17 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Whats wrong with the tee you got? Too large or small? If you are concerned about leaking, perhaps some sealant would solve the problem?

You also talk about a 1/8" connector - I am going to assume you mean an 1/8" NPT hose nipple? That should also be readily available at Home Depot or Lowes - check in the Pneumatic Tools section or ask someone for NPT fittings. Don't forget to get some teflon tape to seal the threads.
I've found Pep Boys is a great source for all these little vacuum bits. They have a ton of different style tees and cheap too. Not affiliated.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - while I will agree that teeing into the KLR's pressure line is the easiest way to do this, it has been argued that response will be better with the shortest length of pressure line as possible. For this reason (and since my SPA gauge is electrical and not mechanical), I have the MAP sensor placed under the intake manifold, zip tied to the #4 runner. There's about 2" of pressure line between it and the manifold. Probably a bit more difficult having to run a pressure line all the way from the back of the gauge to the intake manifold though. Another easy way if you don't want to tee into the KLR's line is to tee into the line going to the FPR, at the back of the fuel rail.

HTH
Old 11-10-2004, 06:44 PM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cyrus951
The easiest way it to splice into the KLR hard plastic line with a 7/16" (IIRC) tee.
Remove the passenger side footwall carpeting to see the long hard clear line going into the KLR computer.
I think you mean a 7/64" tee. You can get them at any auto part store.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:16 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup 7/64th tee available at any auto parts store in their vacuum line section.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:33 PM
nize
Banned

i got my t-connector at the local auto parts store (called 'schucks'). you can order them online as well here;
http://tinyurl.com/4pyfd

the two most popular locations to tap the boost reading from are either;
1) the klr connection inside the car by the passenger footwell or
2) the vacuum line coming out of the banjo bolt in the air intake manifold near the fuel pressure regulator

i believe i've found an even better location;
3) the vacuum line in the engine area on the driver's side located near the copper metal 'bell'.

the reason i believe this location is the best is because it's a very short (around 6-inches) run from that location to the passenger cabin. just to the side of the fuse box is a large rubber hose that enters a rubber grommet where you can easily poke a tiny hole to run the boost line, which will end up near the steering wheel column. from there it's a very short run to any location on the dash, or to the a-pillar via a metal 'tunnel' that runs from below the dash to the a-pillar area.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:03 AM
Asarus
Pro

I use the 2nd option (from the intake manifold with a double banjo bolt and a custom made vaccum line) and it works fine

Old 11-11-2004, 10:47 AM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

Can anyone else post pics of whre they ahve it connected ?
Old 11-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I am going to go get my parts in a few minutes.
I will then decide if I am going to go to the back of the fpr or the dme area, I am hesitant to go into the engine area, but I am also doing to air fuel ratio gauge and the manual boost controller install, so I will have to go to under the hood for the mbc install. I am just waiting for my wastegate and chips.
Ben
Old 11-11-2004, 03:06 PM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

Hi Ben,
I'm looking at doing basically the same stuff as you in the next week or so. Would you mind taking some photos to document how you did it ?

Thanks
Old 11-11-2004, 07:40 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought a compression fitting and spliced in at the KLR, you have to do some sanding. But it is an easy job. Good luck
Old 11-11-2004, 08:01 PM
GreyDog
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NPT fittings are probably the best, however...

One way to connect the boost gauge pressure line is to use a plastic T fitting (usually have barbs on the outside) that has the same inside diameter as the line you are tapping into (which usually makes it hard to insert the T), so you can use a 1 inch section of rubber fuel line as an outer sleeve and use 2 zip ties on each connection to secure it.

- Later.

Quick Reply: VDO Boost Gauge Install??