Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turn wrench myself? Have shop fix? MD DC VA Headgasket/timing belt party?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 10:59 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 944 Fanatic
Hey Guys - shopping prices for the hardware needed for this job.

www.paragon-products.com

www.sunsetporsche.com
Old 10-28-2004, 11:03 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Paul, I have a set of raceware head studs new in the box. Removing the stock studs may be lots of work with the engine in the car. Stock studs work fine (if they are in good condition)..

As for parts, Paragon-Products is a good source, or you can email me...
Old 10-28-2004, 01:34 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did my own waterpump when it started leaking. My automotive experience before I got this car was zilch, aside from checking the oil and coolant and such. As long as you have the right set of tools for the belts, its not overly bad, aside from the pure **** terror the first time you start it as the thoughts of "Did I torque it all down properly, maybe I should have checked the tension 30 times instead of only 20, do I have all my tools and bolts or did I leave a socket in there somewhere, what if what if what if" run through your head. I even made all my own tools for it, the pin spanner and the flywheel lock and the thin wrench.

When I took it to my mechanic for a tension check (I was paranoid) I think I was only 2 pounds off or so, just enough for a little belt whine. That is of course why I took it in.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:26 AM
VA951
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Let me know when/where you are doing the work,I can maybe help also. I am just south of you in Stafford. I got an 86 944T a year ago and have done some work on it, motor mounts, clutch master cyl, etc. Mine is in good shape so has not needed much else, but I see a new clutch in the future.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:01 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VA951, thank you for the offer, I will definitely be taking you up on that. Probably a week or two, but I'll contact you offline. I golf down in your neck of the woods - Tha Gauntlet is one of my favorite semi-local courses.

Anyway, I ordered a few things yesterday:
NEW waterpump, Gasket
belt guard
New thermostat with seal (standard temp)
New turbo thermostat housing (little plastic "L" shaped nipple)
late style belt and roller kit with 47mm cam belt idler roller
Front end re-seal kit
hardware kit - 29 pc bolts, washers,
Oil cooler housing seals
Turbo thermostat
Wide Fire Ring head gasket (already have the rest of the set - bought at Hershey last year for $30)
$580.20 total parts

Decent price? Seemed like it to me, but I only shopped 3 places. Should have probably checked with Sunset, but the rep I dealt with at this vendor was very helpful. Does anyone notice anything missing? Anything else I'm going to be needing for this job? I read in the archives that some people swear by Yamabond for gasket seals. I don't think I can get this at Napa - anyone know a source? Any other easily obtained alternatives?

Also bought the Arnnworx Full tool kit which is great because it has everything I'll need for about 1/5th the price of the 9201 tool. Thanks Bruce!

I'm debating replacing the headstuds. I've had a very reliable source tell me its not necessary if the studs are in good shape. I was under the impression that the 'stretch' type of factory headstud must be replaced when installing a new head. Can anyone comment on this? Can anyone comment on the Raceware Vs Factory headstud debate?

Also, I'm installing a new cam - I had thought that replacing the cam followers was mandatory, but the same very reliable source told me thats also not mandatory. He did provide the disclaimer that his motor is rebuilt every few seasons and the wear the lifters would see was negligable.

Can anyone comment on either of these topics? What did you do?

Thanks again guys - this project is coming together!
Old 10-29-2004, 01:05 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yamabond is found at a Yamaha shop.

Headstuds and lifters "should" be ok to reuse
Old 10-29-2004, 01:26 PM
chapstic951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

944Fanatic,
I could lend you a hand, tools and some basic assistance.. I have the flywheel lock, kricket and wrenches from Arnworx. This weekend is out, but I should be able to help anytime after that. I may have overlooked it but where are you located? I would be very excited to help out since you are doing a few of the things I am considereing....i.e. head gasket , cam and front reseal.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:46 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Chapstic951 - I'm in Burke VA which is just around the corner from Fairfax. I just ordered the Arnnworx tools yesterday but would still be needing a good torque wrench for the project (might just end up buying one since I should have one anyway). I won't have the supplies I need this weekend to begin installing anything but I think I should be able to begin tearing it down tonight and tomorrow. If you are available next weekend I think thats when the majority of the install work will be done. I'm going to PM you and the others who offered to help when I have a better idea of a timeline. I'd love to have some local 944 people around, there haven't been enough gatherings recently. The more the merrier, I say!

Old 10-30-2004, 09:30 PM
chapstic951
Pro

944 Fanatic. I sent you a PM.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:03 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paul, out of curiosity, how much was the Millege Cam?
Old 10-31-2004, 12:17 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried Paragon? They're a site sponsor now, and generally have the best prices.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:48 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Matt - Purchased the Milledge head and cam together from a Rennlister for a total of $1300. According to the previous owner, they only had a few hours on them before the car they were installed in rolled and was scrapped - they look like it too. They came from the car Ski and jwl tore apart for their roll cage and other items. Gotta love Rennlist.

Milledge sells 2v 944 cams at $650
Old 11-01-2004, 04:39 PM
chapstic951
Pro

944 Fanatic. Your inbox is full.

This weekend should be no prolem. I am indifferent to either Saturday or Sunday. Just give me a date, a time, a heads up and directions.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:14 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Steve, thanks for the heads up - cleaned out my inbox. Anyway, assuming the parts come in as scheduled all should be set for this coming weekend. As soon as my tools come in from Arnnworx I'm going to start taking things apart. I'll let you know later in the week for sure. If the parts don't come in will you be available the following weekend?

Thanks again!

PS: Beer of choice?
Old 11-01-2004, 05:17 PM
chapstic951
Pro

My birthday is the 8th and my fiance is the 15th. I believe we are having a wee bit of a party that weekend, but I may be available on Sunday. Hang over prohibiting!!! Let me know what happens on your end. Keep in mind, I have the tools you have ordered from Arnnworx.

Quick Reply: Turn wrench myself? Have shop fix? MD DC VA Headgasket/timing belt party?