Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turn wrench myself? Have shop fix? MD DC VA Headgasket/timing belt party?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 05:41 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL Steve - my Mother's Birthday is today, my Father's is the 7th and then mine is the 19th. Lots of Scorpio's in my family. If you aren't available next weekend I'm sure we can work something out. Happy early b-day by the way.

Its really the parts I'm most concerned about. I'm sure the tools will arrive in time. My vendor indicated they might need some lead time for a few of the parts, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Again, I really appreciate the help.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:34 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An update,
My Arnnworx tools came in (watermelon Jolly Ranchers are my favorite ) and last night I had the time to tackle this job.
I got the engine set to TDC (not anywhere near as daunting a task as I thought it might be), installed the flywheel lock, got all the belts, rollers, and covers off and also got the old waterpump off the car. Made a mess draining the coolant but it looks like thats difficult to avoid. My garage floor is nice and glossy now.

Now I just need to get a long t-handle allen wrench to remove the bolts holding the cam tower on. Once thats off, I can remove the head and inspect the bores, clean and prep for the new head.
It was all a whole heck of a lot easier than I anticipated - with the help of Clarks Garage, the Rennlist archives, the Arnnworx tools and a little patience!

Questions:
1) I'm sure there will be a good amount of carbon buildup on the pistons. What should I use to clean this? Do others use a vacuum cleaner to suck the crap out of the bores while cleaning? I don't want anything trapped in an impossible to reach area.

2) What do I need to do to prep the mating surface for the WF HG? My new head is o-ringed if that makes a difference.

3) The new head doesn't have exhaust manifold studs installed. I have read that I can use bolts here instead of studs, facilitating easy removal in the future. I can't remember exactly, but I beleive the bolts I need to use are 930 intake manifold bolts? Can anyone confirm this?

4) While the headers are off the car, I plan on installing my EGT probe. I know this goes in the #4 runner, how far from the head should I install it? Do I need to have a bung welded on or can I thread the probe into the header itself? If I need to weld one on, where do I source that and what size should I get? Its a Zeitronix EGT probe.

5) Does anyone know where to source an 1/8th inch BSP weld-on bung? Can't find one anywhere. Need this to mount my SPA boost pressure sensor.

6) I also plan on doing the oil cooler and front end seals while I have the motor apart. Are there any caveats or hangups I might run into that I should know about ahead of time?

I'm sure I'll come up with some more questions but in the meantime a huge thank you to everyone who offered great advice/information and helped convince me to do this myself.

Quick Reply: Turn wrench myself? Have shop fix? MD DC VA Headgasket/timing belt party?