Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you ever tracked a car before?
Old 03-05-2006, 06:48 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by guns951
With the rest of the mods I'm doing, Lexan everything except windshield, carbon doors from GT racing etc...I doubt she'll see much street time. Its officially the "fun" car, I just let my imagination go wild with it. Probably just a DE car with the occasional street runs for beer!
HAHAHAHAHAHA....Umm I wouldn't take that car on a beer run unless you REALLY like doing the DUI test!
Old 03-05-2006, 06:52 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
have you ever tracked a car before?
Nope, but with a light weight car, beefed up suspension, top of the line safety equipment, (different wheels soon) a strong (fresh) motor, what more is there? I'm building what I would consider to be my visual wet dream then I'll learn how to drive it. With tons of time and money, what can go wrong? If I put something on there and it doesn't work or look good, boom I take it off. Easy - its about experimenting. Oh yeah and I saw that amazingly beautiful CF full dash replacement from GT racing - plus i'm deleting my AC. I watch everyone elses projects and learn from what they do. I'll try not to post until sometime in May when I get the bulk of the body done, then you guys can REALLY have at it! I kind of like it, weather you hate it or love it - she's still a Porsche, and I know I'll always get respect from you guys. I may not use all the advice I'm given - but I always remember it, and I'm thankful that I have such a great forum to hang out in.

Ehall: I don't plan on DRINKING to and from the beer store! Just getting there...ummm quickly....
Old 03-05-2006, 11:57 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

ONE MORE
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2006, 12:22 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Guns, you want to goto the track with a car a bit closer to stock to start. Things happen very quickly, with alot of tire, beefed up suspension and what not. You're going to be really pissed when suddenly you're going backwards into a wall.

And the wing is ugly as ****.

And the CF dash from GT is flimsy as hell.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:27 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Hey you guys are killing the mans dream here Didnt your mother tell you if you have nothing good to say than dont say anything at all. LOLOLOL
Old 03-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Swedeboy
Pro

Originally Posted by MPD47
Guns, you want to goto the track with a car a bit closer to stock to start. Things happen very quickly, with alot of tire, beefed up suspension and what not. You're going to be really pissed when suddenly you're going backwards into a wall.
I agree.

First of all, a pristine modded car should not be brought onto a track. I've had a variety of dedicated track cars and after a few minutes on track they are no longer pristine. The amount of rocks and other junk tossed up by other cars is unbelievable and fiberglass fenders will start to crack from bodyflex, etc.

Secondly, if you have zero track experience one of the worst cars to start with is a modified 951. It's too fast and too unpredictable (think boost mid-corner) to learn how to drive properly on track.

If you bring it on a track you need to be able to afford (financially and emotionally) to walk away from it when (not if) you end up crashing it.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Originally Posted by Swedeboy
If you bring it on a track you need to be able to afford (financially and emotionally) to walk away from it when (not if) you end up crashing it.
Well then I'll just hop in my 2006 550 and start on another project! (check the sig dudes) Seriously I think I'm going to go hang with the 911 guys - they seem a little more accepting of this type of project. I have the funding to do WHATEVER i want - I have been on a track before, but never built my own track car - so I'm not that inexperienced. And before I get the new motor I'm going to learn with the little bit of fairly stock power I have now.

In my experience racing is a RICH man's sport - so if I'm worried about crashing it and not being able to replace it - why the hell would I ever set foot on a track?

MPD47 - I know its ugly as ****...its one of those, "its so ugly its beautiful" but thanks for the honesty

Reno808: Thanks for the support man, but seriously you have to have ***** to post any ideas on the turbo board...its like a pool of sharks and you've got a bloody nose!

JBrown: Any pics of the engine and duct work on the backside of that hood? Looks beautiful man, any interior shots?
Old 03-05-2006, 11:45 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have to say man, If you post pictures, and ask for opinions on a bb, you are going to get them. All of them, so you are welcome to hang out with the 911 guys, but don't be surprised when they are even less enthused about your project then some of those here. I you don't want to hear opinions, you may not want to solicit them.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guns, I like what you're doing with the car..

I think the back needs some work though. You really need to find a way to fit the turbo valence in the rear, cuz the car looks like *** without it... Also, ditch the US bumper, get one of euro-fibreglass replica's.

I'm on the fence about the GT racing wing.. It's a bit much, but I'm sure it works better than the 968TRS wing which I think looks way better.

Old 03-06-2006, 12:36 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
I'm on the fence about the GT racing wing.. It's a bit much, but I'm sure it works better than the 968TRS wing which I think looks way better.
Cervelli used the 968TS wing, as did Porsche. That's good enough for me.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:09 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just cuz it was good enough for Porsche or anyone else, doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement!
Old 03-06-2006, 01:21 AM
RK951
Rennlist Member

I like where you are headed with the car but add me to the list of thumbs down on the wing
Old 03-06-2006, 02:04 AM
Guns951
Race Car

[QUOTE=guns951]
MPD47 - I know its ugly as ****...its one of those, "its so ugly its beautiful" but thanks for the honesty

...but seriously you have to have ***** to post any ideas on the turbo board...its like a pool of sharks and you've got a bloody nose!
**THIS IS A GOOD THING, KEEPS PU$$IES AWAY**
[QUOTE]

Ehall: I love the opinions and comments! Like from MPD47 - I respect what he's done in huge ways and I totally take to heart what he says (as well as yourself). The shark comment is about how you can't be thinned skinned about asking for opinions on this board and I know the reactions I'm going to get - I VALUE THE OPINIONS GREATLY. If the sharks didn't care they wouldn't bit me, haha. The deal is you guys care enough to give me what you think straight up and that's why I post here. If you have an idea and it gets ripped to shreds, the stuff left over is usually the best thing to do!

The 911 comment was about the point made that eventually the car will crash if on the track. Those guys throw $70k in mods on a car, and drive it straight into a wall and laugh about it. I'm not that rich, but if I take it to a track I know that's a possiblility and I'm totally cool with that. I'm gonna toss about $50k at this "for fun project" just to see what happens! I'm planning a dedicated track car that's pretty much stock later on, but first I have to do the "show" piece to satisfy this urge I have - if I run it into the wall at 70mph, as long as I walk away I'll be sure to post the video!

TO ALL THANK YOU FOR YOUR OPINONS AND COMMENTS EVERYONE IS ALWAYS HELPFUL AND CONSTRUCTIVE IN WHAT THEY SAY...KEEP ANY FRESH IDEAS/CRITICISM COMMING....but don't think I'm dumb enough to put a car on the track and not expect some damage!!! MUCHO RESPECT TO ALL!
Old 03-06-2006, 04:39 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

i think it is cool you are modifying your car, everyone has their own tastes so everyones car will end up a little different from the rest. here is a pic of the turbo RS spoiler on my car...
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Show your 951 pics here......