Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Stock "BOV" (bypass valve) can be vented too just fine...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 11:26 PM
lithium
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock "BOV" (bypass valve) can be vented too just fine...

I just tried it and i like it. Just take it off, and plug in the hole into the intake boot with a 1" plug, and you have an externally vented BOV now. Makes a nice pssshuuuuu sound between shifts. Not as loud as aftermarket ones, but for free you cant beat it. just a heads up
Old 10-21-2004, 11:29 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How is your A/F ratio when you vent to atmoshere ?
Old 10-21-2004, 11:55 PM
lithium
Intermediate

It wont change at WOT, it does get a bit ritch between shifts (metered air is not being returned) but thats with throttle closed, no worrys.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:54 AM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Rich between shifts .............. Flames
Old 10-22-2004, 02:13 PM
mideastmafia
Three Wheelin'

Pics?
Old 10-22-2004, 02:15 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You do go rich, but just a very small amount that in some cases it a 'big deal'. I remember someone posting differneces between BOV's and DV's a while back.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:30 PM
UK952
Burning Brakes

In the UK we call both types 'dump valves'
'Recirculating' for the factory type that vent back into the J boot recirculating the air and 'atmospheric' for dumping to atmosphere.
There is a general thought (rumour) that a recirculating type will give you less lag - but this may well be miss-information as it vents into a tube which, Ok, it has a turbo at one end but very little to stop it going the other way - Well a barn door probably offers more restriction than a MAF/MAP air filter, but I haven't noticed MAF/MAP users complaining about more lag.
I have also heard it said that the recirculating type can cause shockwaves and compressor stalling when you dump higher boost pressures back into the inlet (over 20 PSI).

But then we call tires tyres, we have exhaust maniolds instead of headers, we have brake discs instead of rotors, we have a distributor cap, rotor arm and HT leads not sure what the US has but I think it's different. At least we call a wastegate a wastegate.

If we are mad about a flat we are quite keen on an apartment where I believe our US friends are upset about a deflated tire.

As I sometimes struggle to remember the correct term, It amazes me how the French, Swedes, Dutch, Germans, etc. manage!

Tony
Old 10-22-2004, 03:46 PM
J Chen
Drifting

Hi Lithium,
Are you running an MAF ?
Old 10-22-2004, 03:58 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So trying out this will not harm the engine in any way?
Old 10-22-2004, 04:21 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UK952
In the UK we call both types 'dump valves'
'Recirculating' for the factory type that vent back into the J boot recirculating the air and 'atmospheric' for dumping to atmosphere.
There is a general thought (rumour) that a recirculating type will give you less lag - but this may well be miss-information as it vents into a tube which, Ok, it has a turbo at one end but very little to stop it going the other way - Well a barn door probably offers more restriction than a MAF/MAP air filter, but I haven't noticed MAF/MAP users complaining about more lag.
I have also heard it said that the recirculating type can cause shockwaves and compressor stalling when you dump higher boost pressures back into the inlet (over 20 PSI).

But then we call tires tyres, we have exhaust maniolds instead of headers, we have brake discs instead of rotors, we have a distributor cap, rotor arm and HT leads not sure what the US has but I think it's different. At least we call a wastegate a wastegate.

If we are mad about a flat we are quite keen on an apartment where I believe our US friends are upset about a deflated tire.

As I sometimes struggle to remember the correct term, It amazes me how the French, Swedes, Dutch, Germans, etc. manage!

Tony

Tony

I think you lost our US Cousins with the translation and you didn't even get to mentioning

US: Trunk / UK Boot (in UK we pack a trunk with clothes for a long expedition)
US: Fender / UK Wing
US: Rocker / UK Sill Panel (Our Rockers are generally like Led Zeppelin/Deep Purple)
US: Hood / UK Bonnet
US: Stick Shift / UK Manual

As Churchill said 2 great countries divided by one language!!!

However what ever we call our cars (rides) if it wasn't for a lot of guys in US we would never be getting our cars past 250 bhp (hp for the US)

Tony is there anybody in UK who tunes our cars without parts originating in US ?

Cheers Guys
Tom
Old 10-22-2004, 04:30 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

I have a question... did you happen to have problems idling? I tried this a while back just for sh*ts and giggles, but it didn't like to idle... maybe I'll put my 1" Al plug back in and make sure there are no vac leaks and try again on my way to the store
Old 10-22-2004, 04:54 PM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tommo951
Tony

I think you lost our US Cousins with the translation and you didn't even get to mentioning

US: Trunk / UK Boot (in UK we pack a trunk with clothes for a long expedition)
US: Fender / UK Wing
US: Rocker / UK Sill Panel (Our Rockers are generally like Led Zeppelin/Deep Purple)
US: Hood / UK Bonnet
US: Stick Shift / UK Manual

As Churchill said 2 great countries divided by one language!!!

However what ever we call our cars (rides) if it wasn't for a lot of guys in US we would never be getting our cars past 250 bhp (hp for the US)

Tony is there anybody in UK who tunes our cars without parts originating in US ?

Cheers Guys
Tom
Also forgot US Gas / UK Petrol (without getting into the different ways we measure octane)

There was a guy doing some chips (blitzchips) for NA cars - but he has hooked up with Andrew at Promax.

Jon Mitchell 9xx auto is working on some stuff for the NA cars and will probably get into the turbos later - he also has done some 928 supercharger work out in the middle east.

AMD re-sprung standard wastegates and I know a friend of a friend who will do similar up in the lake district.

Wayne Schofield of chipwizards also will do a custom chip for your car.

My Turbo came from ITS in Leeds K27-K26/8 hybrid using advice/spec from Germany.

Turbo Dynamics down here in Christchurch are keen to do a 944 turbo using garrett bits.

There is another company did some work with a japanese boost controller had an article in 911&PW headed 'red dragon' IIRC.

Leda will do suspension.

Eastendr (Rick Canell) is having his head done somwhere in the UK.

There are a couple of places that will bore the blocks. Bert at Berlyn services knows where they are.

And I think thats about the lot

With the dollar like it is though its mostly cheaper to source from the US even with the VAT and duty hit.

Tony
Old 10-24-2004, 05:35 PM
UK952
Burning Brakes

J boot
Old 10-24-2004, 09:34 PM
boosted951
Racer

did the car perform differently? or did the BOV perform differently...sound etc.... did you notice a loss in performance?
Old 10-24-2004, 09:42 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

You also forget that the recirculating valve will be OPEN on the vacuum side of the boost gauge. This means that you will be sucking in unfiltered air any time you are not on boost. Sand, dust, etc. will be sucked into your intake. If you want the ricer BOV sound, that's great, but also think about what the downsides are, besides the usual a/f ratio screwup.

Dal.

Quick Reply: Stock "BOV" (bypass valve) can be vented too just fine...