Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Stock "BOV" (bypass valve) can be vented too just fine...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004 | 02:31 AM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I tried the same this weekend. My car would almost die when I closed the throttle.
Old 10-25-2004 | 02:42 AM
lithium
Intermediate

Ether you guys are not hooking it up correctly or your spring is all worn out. there is no magic here, its a basic concept. It works ok, but i ordered an aftermarket bov anyhow.
Old 10-25-2004 | 02:51 AM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lithium
Ether you guys are not hooking it up correctly or your spring is all worn out. there is no magic here, its a basic concept. It works ok, but i ordered an aftermarket bov anyhow.
I've tried hooking it up correctly and incorrectly. Lindsey's seems to perform best when hooked up incorrectly. Problem is it wont clear the hood when installed like the stock valve.
When venting to atm, my car would almost die when free revving and closing the throttle. I'm trying to figure out if venting to atm causes the car to run so rich that it almost dies.
Old 10-25-2004 | 03:13 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dal Heger
You also forget that the recirculating valve will be OPEN on the vacuum side of the boost gauge. This means that you will be sucking in unfiltered air any time you are not on boost. Sand, dust, etc. will be sucked into your intake. If you want the ricer BOV sound, that's great, but also think about what the downsides are, besides the usual a/f ratio screwup.

Dal.

why is it called the 'ricer sound'. Its different, not bad. Everything connected to ricer just sounds bad. Anyways...if you are worried about the vacuum sucking up unfiltered air...get a blitz BOV with the filter on it.
Old 10-25-2004 | 12:04 PM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

I did this to my car to see what it was like. I adjusted the idle screw and the car seemed to run exactly the same, however, between shifts I couldnt hear any cool BOV sound. Anything like this happen to anyone else?
Old 10-25-2004 | 04:41 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mikeaagesen
I did this to my car to see what it was like. I adjusted the idle screw and the car seemed to run exactly the same, however, between shifts I couldnt hear any cool BOV sound. Anything like this happen to anyone else?
If you want the sound you need a piston type BOV to really hear it. The stock one isnt loud enough to hear over the engine. Some can hear it most cant.
Old 10-25-2004 | 05:26 PM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

Originally Posted by 9fitty1
If you want the sound you need a piston type BOV to really hear it. The stock one isnt loud enough to hear over the engine. Some can hear it most cant.
I was under the impression this was a piston type. Guess not. I keep hearing diaphram with these dvs, so how does this work then? I guess I had the wrong idea all along?
Old 10-25-2004 | 06:25 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

I just tried venting the BOV and i plugged the j boot. It ran like **** till i took off the vacuum hose on the top. then i got the sound and it ran fine but i leaked boost like crazy and had no power. Im a bit confused on....
Old 10-25-2004 | 07:38 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well it will run like ****, it's basically a BIG leak. The point I was trying to make with the ricer sound is that this is what the people responding to the thread are looking for. Why else would they want to screw up the running condition of the engine this way? I'm all for blow off valves, as long as the engine is set up for it (MAP sensor). Heck I'm thinking of doing this myself. That way the car runs like it's supposed to, you don't have to worry about it running like **** because the air is metered in the intake, after the BOV. Right now, the air is metered before the disconnected recirculating valve, resulting in an overly rich condition or a BIG air leak and overly lean condition at anything blow the 1 bar (atmospheric pressure) threshold.
If you want the BOV sound, then do it right, and get a BOV that's adjustable so that it stays closed when you're not on boost, or get one that has a filter element on it (that won't blow off) to protect your engine. Also get a MAP upgrade so that your engine doesn't run like crap!

Oh, and 9fitty1, if you take that little hose off the top of the recirculation valve then you're basically disabling it. It won't open until the boost pressure forces the little rubber diaphragm open at overboost. Basically it's not protecting your turbo from the shock wave traveling back and putting serious stresses on your compressor blades and turbo shaft/bearings. All this for the ricer sound!

Dal.
Old 10-25-2004 | 07:46 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Well it will run like ****, it's basically a BIG leak. The point I was trying to make with the ricer sound is that this is what the people responding to the thread are looking for. Why else would they want to screw up the running condition of the engine this way? I'm all for blow off valves, as long as the engine is set up for it (MAP sensor). Heck I'm thinking of doing this myself. That way the car runs like it's supposed to, you don't have to worry about it running like **** because the air is metered in the intake, after the BOV. Right now, the air is metered before the disconnected recirculating valve, resulting in an overly rich condition or a BIG air leak and overly lean condition at anything blow the 1 bar (atmospheric pressure) threshold.
If you want the BOV sound, then do it right, and get a BOV that's adjustable so that it stays closed when you're not on boost, or get one that has a filter element on it (that won't blow off) to protect your engine. Also get a MAP upgrade so that your engine doesn't run like crap!

Oh, and 9fitty1, if you take that little hose off the top of the recirculation valve then you're basically disabling it. It won't open until the boost pressure forces the little rubber diaphragm open at overboost. Basically it's not protecting your turbo from the shock wave traveling back and putting serious stresses on your compressor blades and turbo shaft/bearings. All this for the ricer sound!

Dal.

HAHAHAHA... wow. Yeah, curiousity kills the cat, but hopefully not the cat's engine. Now we all know why it goes rich at shifts, that is pretty common knowledge here. I've never heard that it's lean below 1bar (abs.), however. What is repsonsible for that?
Old 10-25-2004 | 08:03 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Dal.

ok ok, didnt mean for anything to get all huffy. anyways, when i did remove the vac line on top, there wasnt any compressor surge. all was vented...but it was vented too early...i was leaking boost all over the rpms. I had no power. Good info though.
Old 10-25-2004 | 08:23 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

no huffiness intended. If your recirculating valve wasn't holding the boost, then it was torn. How do you know there was no compressor surge? Is this wishful thinking? Yes, the stock recirculating valve will only hold a certain amount of pressure before it starts to leak/tear.

The leanness occurs because the recirculating valve is OPEN at anything under 1 bar pressure. That little vacuum line is connected to the intake after the throttle body. There is vacuum holding that little valve open until the intake is at 1 bar pressure (atmospheric pressure). You run lean because the air is bypassing the air metering device. In effect you are creating a LARGE vacuum leak in the intake, it's just like a tear in your intake boot, same effect.

Dal.
Old 10-25-2004 | 08:31 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

The leanness occurs because the recirculating valve is OPEN at anything under 1 bar pressure. That little vacuum line is connected to the intake after the throttle body. There is vacuum holding that little valve open until the intake is at 1 bar pressure (atmospheric pressure). You run lean because the air is bypassing the air metering device. In effect you are creating a LARGE vacuum leak in the intake, it's just like a tear in your intake boot, same effect.

Dal.
Wow... I never even thought of that. Of course it's going to be open below 1 bar. Thank you for smacking sense back into me
Old 10-25-2004 | 08:50 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Dal i knew there wasnt any compressor surge because when I got back on the throttle after a shift my turbo was kicking in as ususal without any type of slowness. If there was compressor surge the turbo would have to start spinning again which means more lag when jumping back on throttle.

Quick Reply: Stock "BOV" (bypass valve) can be vented too just fine...